BC Boards

Steve Clendenin

If you knew Steve, you knew his values.

Family first. There's many a trial he missed, he didn't go because of family obligations. He told me almost every conversation, "Treat that husband of yours right."

Steve was next most dedicated to the farm. His love for the things of the earth was the primary thing that tied us together - me, a newbie to the art of farming, he, from a family tied to the soil with traceable lines back to the Middle Ages. Our talks centered on the wondrous world that calls me now and forever will remind me of Steve. Tractors, fertilizer, the pros and cons of liming hay fields, lambing pens, sheep, sheep, sheep, and of course the dogs as a necessary part of it.

The dogs then were Steve's chief passion, trialing an obsession - both the joy and the bane of his life. As many have noted, probably his greatest legacy will be his generosity with his knowlege, time, home, financial resources, and sheep. He was very difficult to please as an instructor and often was on meds that made him difficult to get along with, but he'd never let anyone else criticize a student or friend of his. Loyalty again.

Steve and I were polar opposites in a lot of ways. The way we thought, learned, comprehended, were all comepletely different. Empathy wasn't Steve's strong suit so I don't know why he stuck with me though it surely felt like he was beating his head against a wall continuously. He did, though, from the first when I couldn't get anyone else to help, and all through my life changes, financial setbacks, and crazy dogs. I'm very glad to think the last few months he'd upgraded me from "hopeless" to "novice with potential."

I've been working dogs like crazy the last few days, desperately hoping to solidify the last few weeks of conversations before life and other discussions about dog training muddles it. Even Ollie the rescue has seen way more of the sheep than probably is good for him, but I keep trying to answer the question Steve and I were discussing in our last conversation Wednesday, about whether he could be all Aussie or had to have some Border Collie. He was very eager to see him. Steve would work a teacup Yorkie if he thought it showed a spark of interest.

I know Steve was wonderfully delighted when he woke up Saturday morning and saw his old friends Ralph, Lewis, Jim Varnon, and many more people - and Ben and Greg waiting behind them. I like to think they are planning one heck of a Bluegrass. Greg's first chance at Open - I hope he takes the lookback or he'll be in big trouble.

Coincidentally (or not), this was today's text at my church:

Shepherd the flock.

Not because you must, but with passion.

Not greedy, but eager to serve.

Not lording it over your charges, but being an example.

And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away,

Casting all your care upon him, for he cares for you.

I'll wait until after the funeral and then I'll print all this out and mail it to Nancy.