BC Boards

New addition

AK dog doc

Hi Gang

I just wanted to thank you all again for your kindness and moral support over Buddy's passing. I miss him like mad, but now mainly in a happy way - like I'll suddenly remember something silly or endearing he did and start to smile. I DO keep calling him to go outside or come in, but it's more cause for a little chuckle than sadness at this point, in part because of all the well-wishes and kind words from everyone here.

Just after Buddy was diagnosed, when he was doing really well, we had a little BC/whippet mix into the hospital for neutering. Something about him just charmed me - in part because he put me in mind of Buddy, actually. One of the nurses happened to tell the owners I was taken with him, and they said, "Really? Because we need to find him a home." A week later they called and asked if I was interested in adopting him. I said I wouldn't take another dog while Buddy was sick, but depending on how things went, maybe...

At any rate, having come much faster than I expected to a peaceful place after losing Buds, I took the dog home for a weekend to see how he'd fit in. It was kind of surreal... he's almost like a cross between Buddy and Finn. He got on immediately with Kenzie (everyone does, she's one of those dogs all other dogs seem to like), and was a bit intimidated by Finn, but cautiously playful. A weekend strestched out into five days, and two days ago I told the original owners I'd keep him, if that was okay with them. So now little Ali (possibly to be re-named since I think "Ali" should be pronounced "Ah-LEE", like the boxer, not "Ollie", like "Ali Babba") has come to stay.

I really thought this would be too soon after Buds, but it just seems as if it was set up ahead of time just to soothe that ache. He's a hilarious little dog. He's a bit wild - like a Wallaby on crack, actually - since he's only 9 months old and part sighthound to boot, but he's started to really bond with Finn. He bonded with me and Kenzie much more quickly. I've put him through the wringer a bit in his eventful first week with me - I wanted to see what he'd make of the things that are central to my dog management, so I could see if I thought he'd be happy in our lifestyle. So he has gotten many play dates with other dogs besides mine (he has a REAL crush on this one Sibe belonging to one of my nurses), has gone hither and yon in the truck, with dogs and without, riding in the cab and riding in the back, and has been allowed limited off-leash priveleges at the homes of friends, since I'm not 100% sure of what he'd do if he actually SAW their chickens. We start obedience tonight (to get him used to listening to me - he already has good basics). The only thing we have not yet done - and probably will not until he's had a few weeks of extra practise coming when called) is take him out hiking. We have a walk we like to do on the cross-country ski trails at one of the high schools which would be a good place to start, since it's a fenced, wooded hilly area, but I want to be a little more confident he won't take off and take all the other dogs with him before we do that. There ARE moose out there, since I've seen the moose nuggets in the trail.

Anyway, I'll try to get and post a picture of him - his markings are nearly identical to Finn's, except for the white collar, shich is mirror image - but I wnated you all to know that, partly because of you helping me recover from Buddy's death, this little dog has a home. I DID always say my next BC would be another rescue, but I didn't think it would be this soon, and I REALLY didn't think it would be a whippet cross....

AK: That is fantastic! and Rob, Bri and I want to welcome "Ali". Somehow it sounds like Buddy has intervened and is smiling from the Bridge knowing some of the hole in your heart from his passing is being filled.

All our best to you and your gang! How is Finn doing with the woolies?

I really thought this would be too soon after Buds, but it just seems as if it was set up ahead of time just to soothe that ache

Everyone is different and I am a strong believer that things happen when they should.

I am one of those people that need the hole filled in my life when I lose one of mine. I don't stop grieving for the one I lost, but a big part of my healing process is being able to give my love to another dog.

I lost two in a very short time last year, and the emptiness that I felt when coming home to just two dogs was really hard to take. Many people thought that I should have waited for quite a while before getting another dog, but once I saw a picture of a Senior Border Collie in rescue a couple of months later, I knew that I would soon have another dog in my household. It never occurred to me to think that it was "too soon".

Congratulations on welcoming Ali into your heart and hurry up with those pictures!!!!

Dear AK - When my Skye was run down at the side of the road in front of me at six months old, I was absolutely devastated. When the wonderful lady I bought him from told me that night that she had a puppy coming to her in just six short weeks and wanted to give him to me, I could hardly consider the thought.

But, by the next evening, my arms ached so badly for Skye that the thought of a new pup in them was such consolation, that I called her and said, "Yes, I would love to accept that puppy."

It sure didn't stop the crying and the pain - I'm tearing up right now thinking about losing Skye. I will never forget him and the hole in my heart will always be there. But, so will all the good and wonderful memories, as well.

And now I have Celt, and I couldn't love a dog any more, or have a more loyal and enjoyable companion. I'll never love Skye any less, but Celt makes my heart glad each and every day. I hope your new dog will fill your days with joy as well.

You have always been such a wonderful addition to these boards - I know I speak for everyone when I wish you and all your doggie family the best of everything!

Typos? WE don't see no stinkin' typos (shich=which, wnated=wanted, etc...)

Sue&Ed and Northof49, you're both right... sometimes things happen that you don't expect but as they're intended to (so long as we're paying attention enough to see it). And it really has been a help to have something new to focus on - not, as you correctly point out, that it stops the grieving, but that it keeps your mind focused and active dealing with other things, so that the sadness is ameliorated somewhat. And good point about how giving love to another dog helps heal the ouch in your heart about losing one of the beloved.

As for Finn and the Woolies... Well, the first thing he did was completely lose his mind and forget everything he'd ever learned, including his own name. The next thing he did was get WAY too grippy. The thing he did after that was stop being so grippy but also lose his sense of the balance point. Now he seems to have become confused; it's almost dawning on him what he's there to do, but it seems like that thing when you have a name on the tip of your tongue and can't QUITE recall it... it drives him crazy that he ALMOST understands some of it, but can't quite grasp it. We've only been going once a week or less (due to the trialling schedule of the coach and a bout of respiratory illness that went through my dogs, we haven't made every week). Right now I think that might be the best schedule for him... he seems to be a dog that does better at learning if he has a little time away from the task to think it over.

Meanwhile, why didn't someone TELL me it might be addictive? Oh, wait, someone did. In fact, LOTS of you did. But silly me, I didn't heed the warnings... I keep looking at my small back yard and thinking, Hmmm, I wonder how many sheep I could keep in here...? :rolleyes:

Hey Doc ? that is the best news. That old ?trust the universe? thing worked again ? she really knows what she is doing! I too am a believer in meant to be ? though it?s often awfully hard to see it. We?ll be looking forward to more stories of your guys, including ?Ali?.

Wallaby on crack
- as an Australian I really love that image.

Oh yes, this sheep thing is waaaay addictive. I live for my Tuesday lesson and my Friday practice ? and get really peeved if the weather is too bad. (And although I?ve retired, I have to take bits of relief teaching when I can get it to fund the addiction!) My trainer is going to the US for a couple weeks next week ? but we?ve arranged for her dear old stockman to be around so I can still go and practice. The going twice a week has been good ? Kirra seems to benefit from the ?thinking? time ? and I certainly do. We can use the practice time for working on things our trainer has picked up during our lesson. This week it is making Kirra keep back instead of slicing her flanks and ?butt-biting? to stir things up. I had the nicest compliment from the old stockman ? he thought Kirra was worth putting time into, and would make a nice workmanlike little dog. We still have heaps to learn, but we can do stuff now ? with our nice ?knee-hugging? Merino wethers ? like move them in and out of gates and yards with some degree of control ? and lots of walkabouts round the paddock. Such a magic feeling ? and I love the satisfied look on her little face as we walk off after finishing our work.

Oh yes--

Once again things fall into place. Sometimes I have to admit I do not 'trust the universe'. I'd like to -the skeptic in me is fierce. In this case your experience proves the case. Your loss and gain was perfectly segued. I am soooo looking forward to the pictures! Getting Ali will soothe the hurt-simultaneoulsy doing good with a greiving heart is a powerful balance to me.

Congratulations to you and your clan.

Kim

Yippee!! That it to much fun, see you are being watched out for & timing is every thing. I think it may even help the dogs Buddy left behind. A warm and wiggly distraction, and proof life goes on :D

I had a heeler Whippet cross for years and she was a great dog.

I think you may have genuine lurcher on your hands. In all your spare time :rolleyes: look them up, suppose to be any sight hound crossed with any terrier or herding dog. Here is one of many sites.

http://www.geocities.com/irishlurchers/page2.html

Hey IF there was a typo, and I'm not saying there was ( but spikes b is a pretty good word smith and her spelling is impeccable) it was because you were just so excited about Ali I didn't notice a thing, but then I have been spelling challanged for years. Again I'm so happy things worked out like they did for you.

Andrea D.

Actually I'm a big believer in serendipity... I just see it too often to ignore it. Tends to run in my family, so I have a LOT of opportunity to observe it (big family). So, goood point on how the Universe knows what she's up to. Now, if she could only straiten my BF out...

Thanks for the lurcher site... Ollie looks a bit like the B&W "collie mix" one on the second photo page, but the ears are MUCH more hilarious. I'll try to get photos today. Yesterday my clutch cable snapped (while I was driving, but fortunately about 100 yards from a garage, so I cut the engine and coasted it in to the shop with just enough momentum to make it neatly into a parking space - how lucky is THAT? - That Universe thing, again. It was also just before 6 p.m. and I was on the way to obedience class - if it'd happened later, I'd have been stranded God knows where without an open garage to take it to, but with a dog I had to get home.) So I'm trapped at home for a while today, but hopefully the cable will be replaced and I'll be able to get over to Finn's mommie's house, where I can (with any luck) get some "action" shots of the dogs together.

So now I'm wondering what I should teach him to poach.... :rolleyes:

Congratulations on the new addition -- looking forward to pictures. Lurchers appeal to me a great deal.

I too am a believer in serendipity. Solo came to me a mere 11 days after my heart's dog died, way too soon by all measures because Harley was a really hard act to follow. But having to care for Solo meant I couldn't wallow in my sorrow, and Solo required a lot of care. Somewhere along the way I found that he had become my heart's dog also. I'm really glad I didn't say, "No, it's too soon."

Thanks, Piper. It was SO hard to lose Buddy, but it was breaking my heart to see how tired he was. The last day it was as if he had to gather himself for even the slightest thing, like standing up. He was still willing, but *I* wasn't willing to put him through it anymore. It was a lot easier to make that decision knowing I'd be sparing him suffering.

Rtphokie, you can really see both the BC and the saluki in your lurcher. I just discovered there are lurcher calendars (Brown Trout again). Maybe I'll see if Finn's photographer wants to shoot Ali, too, though your lurcher is prettier. However, I'm a fan of the silly mismatched ears, so maybe the Powers That Be at Brown Trout would be similarly charmed...

Melanie, thanks for that story. I didn't realise Solo had come to you in that sort of situation. How touching - and encouraging, becuase you clearly have such a deep bond with him. He's so lucky to have found you - the one person who could make his world all right - that it's a good thing you had the courage to say yes to him, despite your bereavement. I hope I'll be half as good a fit for Ali-Ollie-Wallaby-Boy. Although he DOES seem to find my household interesting... never a dull moment here at The Zoo....

Meanwhile, why didn't someone TELL me it might be addictive? Oh, wait, someone did. In fact, LOTS of you did. But silly me, I didn't heed the warnings... I keep looking at my small back yard and thinking, Hmmm, I wonder how many sheep I could keep in here...?
HeHeHeHe, another one hooked. :rolleyes: Can you imagine what Finn would be like if there were sheep in his backyard.

Happy for you and your new addition.

Mark

Yeah, yeah, Mark, stop your smirking. Is it nice to make sport of me while I am Jonesing? :rolleyes: (And GOD, don't even let me think about having sheep in the back yard... there would never be a MOMENT'S peace around here. Finn would be trying to herd them, Kenzie would be inspecting their lips in case they had any grain she might want some of, or else trying to nurse alongside the lambs - when she wasn't flinging her stubby little legs around their necks and trying to lick them to death, that is - and I don't know for sure, but I suspect Ali would think they were padded springboards off which to ricochet in his mad circuits of the yard. Or else things to leap over, since he appears to be spring-loaded and is capable of leaping two and a half feet strait in the air without visibly tensing any muscle - it looks like he just suddenly and abruptly loses all sense of gravity.)

Laura, I found the lurcher calendar on the Brown Trout web site (which I believe is www.browntrout.com - but I'm not 100% sure on that). Look under "dog breeds" first - at which time they'll list what are evidently the most popular/common ones - and then select "other breeds" (I think - it might have been "more breeds".) That'll take you to a new menu which has lurchers on it. They mainly looked a good deal more hairy than Ali. Speaking of that, Finn's photographer told me today (when she brought me advance copies of Finn's calendars) that she'd heard that a lurcher was a sight hound crossed with one single specific other breed, but it looks to me as if there are all SORTS of other breeds represented...

In my ferreting days I used to hang out with a few working lurcher people, and the way it works in practice is: always sighthound (speed and prey drive), nearly always Border Collie (agility and brains) but sometimes Dobermann, Bedlington Terrier (working, not show), Beardie, Spaniel, Foxhound, Otterhound or Beagle.

And of course the sighthound component can be anything from a whippet to a deerhound - depends what you're breeding the lurchers to hunt. Ali, for example, would probably be best for rabbits and might be up to the smaller hares like the Scottish or American ones, but he might be a bit small for big English brown hares. Give him a hug for us when he holds still long enough!

Liz & the Captain, (whose liver-based birthday cake has given him the farts) xxx

Ah HA! I knew it. Thanks, Liz. Now I can tell the photographer he's definite "lurcher calendar" material. If she can get him to hold still long enough to get a photo (I'm having trouble with this, they all turn out with blurred B&W streaks running through them, which I presume to be Ali, though it's hard to tell).

So what do people usually work Bedlingtons at in the UK?

I don't know if Ali has any interest in working hares (our ones up here are little but QUICK), but the other day when I was walking to the garage to pick up my truck, Finn and I saw two feral bunnies - big round spotted bunnies, not the little angular hares we have up here. HE was certainly interested (good thing he was on a leash.)

At any rate, slightly to another subject, I'd been thinking I'd have to change "Ali" to "Ollie" since I tend to pronounce "Ali" as "Ah-LEE" (as in the boxer) - just a mental stutter on my part, I should be able to stop thinking of it that way. His given name is Ali Babba, which I thought didn't suit him that well, since isn't Ali Babba the prince of thieves? (I seem to recall something about this from some dusty locker in my brain). He didn't seem very theif-y to me, nor very princely (since, despite his sleekness, he lacks Buddy's sultry elegance). But I read that the term "lurcher" came from a Rom word meaning "theif" (which I did not know), so now I think it's really rather appropriate, don't you? And maybe he'll grow up to be more elegant later on. MUCH later on, if the last 10 days are any indication... :rolleyes:

Hmmm - I've always thought of lurchers as the gypsy or poachers' dogs - so maybe Ali Baba is quite appropriate!

And yes, Mark - all very well for you to smirk. Gasoline (or petrol as we call it here) is nearly A$5 a gallon - and my trainer's place is about 100 km (about 60 miles?) away - and I go twice a week - and I can't even say I wasn't warned! And am I sorry I got addicted? Heck no!

Barb,

when we started our trainer was about 20 min away and we were there more often than twice a week; of course petrol runs $1.80 to $2.00 a US gal.

Don't be fooled into thinking having your own sheep eliminates the need to drive to other fields to work your dogs; it only reduces how often you need to make the drive. We've been keeping an eye out for a small stock trailer so we can take sheep to other fields and not have to make the long drive to other herding people's fields. So far we've not found the right trailer at the right price.

Oh, once you're really hooked then there's all the gas and driving to trials. For us that's typically 3-4 hrs one way hauling our 27' travel trailer (home away from home, more important our own toilet in place of a porta-john). AKDogDoc will have even farther to drive to get to trials.

The more you get sucked in, the larger the expenses get. The more fun and frustration you have and the dumber you feel about your knowledge of herding.

Mark

BTW: I used to think 6 acres would be big enough. I now know better and want MORE LAND. I think 50-80 acres would be good but I might settle for 20 acres in our area.

Oh no, Mark ? you mean I get to feel even dumber than I do now sometimes? I can hardly wait. .. Luckily the trial thing is a ways off for us ? like a year or two at least. The only game on the island, apart from ANKC (our equivalent of AKC) is the 3 sheep trial ? needing a lot of precision on the part of the dog. Or of course, yard dog trials, but they?re mostly for Kelpies. And, living on an island, the maximum drive to a trial would be about 300 miles. (Of course, I?m about to spend big dollars and drive a couple thousand miles on the mainland to take the dogs and me to a couple of doggy camps in September ? sadly not sheep camps.)

Luckily, our trainer has 800 acres and 1500 sheep, so I don?t feel too much pressure to get land and sheep. Of course, since she has a fine wool merino operation, we only get to work on a training flock ? she has about 30 well dog-broke wethers, and another group of somewhat wilder wethers (which we will probably get to try in a couple of weeks.) The ewes and rams are too valuable to be used for training.

I?m happy in the meantime learning more about working with sheep, and watching my little bitch learn more every time she goes out. We always try to finish on a good note, even if it?s something very simple, so we can walk out of the training paddock (about 7 or 8 acres) feeling pleased with ourselves ? I love the look on her face ? and the fact that although she comes off the sheep when asked, and leaves the paddock ? she then sits near the gate instead of getting into the car ? I?m sure she?s saying ?Is that it ? can?t we do some more??