BC Boards

3 vs 2 - how much more work?

Sasha'sMom

Hi all, new situation developing, and I was wondering if I could get some insight from those who have been there.

Long story: our neighbors recently "surrendered" their Irish Setter/Lab mix to us. (We offered to house her while they looked for a new home for her, as our fences are higher, and she's a jumper.) We think she was mostly ignored, as they have teenagers and poor Sassy wasn't high on their priority list. She has never worn a coller, and was frequently picked up and impounded. The last time she would have been left there, except one of our other neighbors saw her while delivering donations and bailed her out. (The kids asked for her help in finding the dog, so she had no idea Mom and Dad didn't want her back.)

Anyway, so we now have this dog. As far as we can tell, she's perfectly housebroken, about 2 years old (read: not a puppy!) gets along with our dogs and cats, and is a love sponge. (Maybe because she isn't used to attention?) We took her on temporarily, but husband has fallen for her, and even agreed to quit smoking to offset the costs of keeping her. (This is a big deal for him - and a pretty compelling reason for me)

The flip side is that my sister is looking for a jogging partner, and thinking Sassy may be who she's looking for. She'd provide an equally good home, with less attention competition.

I just don't know if I can handle 3 dogs. Sasha and Sassy are (ironically enough) dead ringers for each other, aside from Sasha's white patches. They are getting along pretty well; Nik, the alpha GSD is a little ruffled, but everyone is a lot calmer than I figured they would be.

So, for those of you with multiple dogs, how much does it differ from just 2? I can imagine the expenses, but it's the practical I'll wondering about - walks, attention, me staying the leader of the pack, vs them creating their own. Any input appreciated. We don't have to make a decision anytime soon.

Danielle

Oh, and since we added our fence extension, we haven't had any jumping. Granted, our yard looks like Riker's Island, but the neighbors understand.

husband has fallen for her, and even agreed to quit smoking to offset the costs of keeping her
WOW! Being a recovered smoker myself - that is something big for him to offer to quit smoking! Good for you both!

I don't have any decent advice for you about what to do - it sounds like with you or your sister either would be a wonderful home for her. What a lucky girl to be saved by you!

I'm certainly no expert, but having just added Dog #3 to our 'pack', I understand what you're feeling. Of course, adding a new dog is going to cause a certain amount of testing of the pack order. While it was Me, Mike, Sage, Combat...now it's Me, Mike, Nixie, Sage, Combat.

Other than the shift of pack order (which really was only a few days of very limited moaning and whining on combat's part), I really notice no difference. I still am able to give all the dogs equal amounts of 'alone' time as well as group play.

The only issue we have is that Nixie is deciding she wants to challenge me for my spot, but since -I- control the food for EVERYONE in the house (including the husband, much to Nixie's confusion since she likes to consider HIM the boss...) she's having to respect me in that way.

I really don't think you'll have any issues remaining leader of the pack, so long as you make certain to establish it with her from the beginning.

BTW - she's a pretty gal, looks mighty fine on that sofa!

Oh yes, she went straight for the sofa. Fine by me, although there is one chair that I don't let the dogs on. I hauled her off once, and haven't found her there since. (Although I usually throw something on top to prevent it. It's a comfy chair.) :rolleyes:

She's still quite submissive around my other two, but she's at least playing back now. (versus just being herded.)

...as long as it isn't logarithmic...

we'll see.

Thanks,

Danielle

I just added dog #3 myself, unplanned, and it is working out just fine. It is minimally more work in my opinion.

My only issue with the 3rd dog is that he is young and impressionable and starting to pick up some bad habits from the first two that we wish we had had time to iron out before his arrival. But, life isn't perfect, and his arrival is an ideal motivation to send the dogs back to boot camp training-wise. Now as the other 2 big boys are practicing the training they have (but which we have let slip) the little boy will be learning alongside them.

All in all, I think that the first dog is the most work, and the 2nd dog and 3rd dog have been alot less effort, since all the lifestyle chages and household practices (dog-proofing, walk schedules, training sessions, grooming) are already in place.

Good luck if you decide to keep her! I say the more the merrier, but some people think I am crazy that way.

I think everyone has their own limit for the number of dogs they can handle. I am the only human in my house and I have found that three is a piece of cake, and four is my absolute limit. After four, I don't have the time to train, groom, love, and offer proper care to all of them.

Basically I think each person has a limit and you will know it when you reach it. Some people have eight dogs, some can't manage more than one. If hubby is going to give up smoking, I'd keep the dog just for that.

Thank you for offering Sassy a home when she needed one most.

What a beautiful girl... looks like she is right at home. I'm so glad that you were there for her when she needed someone. I'm sure she appreciates it too.

As far as keeping her... boy the offer to quit smoking sure does give incentive to keep her... hope hubby knows the struggle he is in for (not with the dog, but with quitting). I've been there, and it is definitely not easy!

Whether you keep her, or your sister takes her, it sounds like she will have a great, loving home either way... that's what matters.

As far as three dogs, compared to two... I can't give my opinion as far as with bcs, but I had a Boston Terrier, Golden Retriever, and Great Pyrenees, all at one time. It really wasn't that much more work, but I found that I didn't get to spend as much individualized time with each one as I would have liked to. But, a lot of that was because I work outside the home during the day, and then come home to farm work in the evening (especially summertime - til dark). With Tag, it is much easier because he minds very well, and can come work with us, and we don't need to worry about him taking off (just gotta be careful when he tries to herd the tractors).

Right now, I am trying to convince Hubby that we need a female bc (to be MY dog). Tag is going to be Daddy's Dog forever, and yes, I'm jealous. So - do you think that I'm direct enough when I tell my hubby that the only thing I want for my birthday this month is a gift that needs to be told to sit and stay? hehe I'm tryin!

Best of luck whatever you decide. She sure does look like she would be willing to be extremely loving in exchange for becoming a part of the family.

Sorry for the long post - my fingers got away from me!

I don't think you'll find three much more work than two. I have seven and I don't have dogs challenging me for leadership rights. Yes, they keep me busy, but like someone else said, you'll know when you've reached your limit. and if your husband is willing to give up smoking for Sassy, then I say Sassy's definitely a keeper!

Good luck!

J.

Julie, Julie, Julie.

Of course you don't think 3 is that much more work than 2.

You have 7 freakin' Border Collies.

3 IS noticeably more work than 2. It certainly has my wife complaining since we got our third. (But it's worth it.)

And, hey, what's wrong with smoking? I find a cigar is a perfect match to watching the sheep graze against a pretty sunset.

charlie

EDIT: Ok, well, the smoking thing is maybe over the top. Just kidding kids! Don't do it!

Hey Liz,

That's the *only* reason anyone should ever light up a cigar! Even though I can't stand thesmell of one, I have been known to use them to keep those evil bloodsuckers away (and I'm not talking about men!).

Charlie,

Isn't seven a *lucky* number? (Not that you'd know it with my vet bills.)

J.

Oh god, only three? I remember those days fondly!!! My dogs have occasionally driven me to drink, but never smoke... ??? Maybe I am missing something there...? See the key to having more than two (or three for that matter) get enough so that your husband looses track and doesnt know there names..that way he doenst know when you have added or subtracted...

"My dogs have occasionally driven me to drink...."

Sam, aren't you the one that can handle only 1 drink? Besides you should be feeling great with one less dog at this point. BTW she's doing great; she picked sheep off Renee yesterday with no problems. She had more difficulty accepting the concept of letting Rae have the sheep back. She loves our lambs; you should see her eyes when she gets too close. A littel reminder and she stayed off where she belongs.

Oh yes the topic...... only 3, what a concept. CGT, you'll find that the max number you and your wife can handle will go up as you get used to 3. Then, it'll be 4, and 5, and ...... At some point you'll really hit the max number that can be handled. You'll know when you hit that MAX number becuase you'll hear somehting like: "either some of these dogs go or I'm going". :rolleyes:

My wife would love to be back down to 6; and we'll get there someday. We have found our MAX number; our van (as configured) will only hold 10.

Mark

Ok, but I don't get one thing. With 3 dogs, by the time I sort some sheep, move them to a training location, set up some situations for each of my dogs, have a wreck, chase sheep down the highway, put the sheep back where they belong, etc. I 've easily used 2 hours or more. I can't imagine having even more dogs to work - the wife and kids, chores, and that pesky job of mine keep getting in the way. On the other hand, I hope to start trialing all 3 of my dogs this fall. That should be a blast. I can imagine that running even more would be even better!

charlie

WOW! 10!!! and to think that I'm begging and pleading for #2!

My sheep have driven me to drink... not any of my dogs.

Already quit the smoking habit for hubby when we decided that we were going to get married - so, I can't use that one.

I'm loving this post... y'all make me sit here in front of my computer laughing. thanks.

Charlie,

you're not doing the dog math right; like you I can really only work 2 dogs (perhaps 3) for the very reasons you've already stated (work, chores at home, but no kids). The part of the dog math you're not getting right is the addition of retirees. Now multiply that by 2 handlers (me and Renee) and you'll see how our numbers explode. Sam has more time and therefore is able to work and run more dogs.

Mark

Mark: I hadn't thought about retirees. Good Lord, I really can imagine running out to get a new dog when one of my bunch retires. I should have stuck with golf. I know my wife wishes it. (But Sam has an interesting strategy there. It's completely crazy, but just crazy enough to work.)

charlie

Well I have decided to phase my buisness a bit different this year..last year I took in like 6-7 dogs for training (Pooooooor Charlie, 3 dogs? I was doing like 12-14 a day...you end up not wanting to see another dog) and this year I decided to keep more puppies from my breeding and train them for sale (course Gabby is the first dog of my own breeding I have actually managed to let go and only because it went to Mark) So who knows, maybe I will be stuck with a million dogs who I cant sell and will also be broke because I havent worked all winter! Ah Bliss...good thing one drink will knock my loopey eh Mark? Wont be able to afford the booze at that rate.

I think the whole "how many dogs" question depends a lot on your personality and the personalities of the dogs you already have.

I have two, and for me this is a perfect number. But, at heart I'm really a one-dog woman. It may just be luck, but my first dog (who was an only dog, and died in 2000) and my second dog (who is Solo) turned out to be soulmate dogs, dogs I was and am silly in love with.

When you have a dog like that, there's only so much love left to go around. I love Fly, but not the way I adore Solo, and she is definitely dog #2. Sometimes I feel bad, and selfish -- Fly is delightful, unfailingly cheerful, totally stable, can go anywhere and do anything and is always up for more, and if she were some other girl's only dog she would be the Everything Dog instead of being the Other Dog. But you know, it doesn't seem to matter either way to Fly, whose motto in life is "Yay!" Although she's extremely bonded to me she doesn't seem to want or require the complicated emotional stuff and seems more than happy to spend her time in orbit around the subunit made up of Solo and me -- so she's perfect for us. If I'd gotten a second dog who was more like Solo, and I'm not even talking about the wacky stuff, it never would have worked out.

With Solo and Fly together, things are so nice and neat that I can't imagine being without either one of them. They really enjoy each other and I think they're both happier having another dog around. I think about adding a dog all the time, but even besides the time and expense (and lack of sheep work) I don't think I have enough love for another, and I can't see how a third would fit into the perfect little pack I have now. Until my circumstances change, we're a two-dog, one-girl family.

When you have a dog like that, there's only so much love left to go around.
Melanie, you are a genius at hitting nails on the head. That's exactly how I'm feeling now, and why I decided this week that Max the GSP is my foster dog and not my second dog after all. (GSP Rescue are doing a home check on a likely new home for him right now) Max is a glorious little thing, and if Spike had never existed you'd have had to shoot me before I gave him up. But Spike isn't happy about the 'other dog', and Max desperately wants to be an 'everything dog'. It isn't working.

I wish the new home was next door, though...

Liz, Captain Spike and Max, Crusher of Beetles xxx

When you have a dog like that, there's only so much love left to go around.
I worry about this exact thing. Right now it's a bit easier on me because of the situation - Oreo won't be moving with me, and Zeeke is definitely not MY dog. I love him, but he just didn't click with me completely, which is fine because the boyfriend adores him. But I want several more dogs. My BC is planned for next summer.

But the problem is, I also really want a dachshund. I don't know why, I just fell in love with a college friend's doxie, I love the longhairs, and I think having a small cuddly dog would be so... weird. Boyfriend thinks I'm nuts, he does not think dachshunds are cute in any way, lol. But my worry is, what if I get a doxie and then love my BC more? I don't know at this point. :rolleyes: I'm really torn up over it.

I know later I want more dogs, but right now... even with Zeeke here... I'm really missing having my own dog. I don't know if you guys have ever felt that, but Zeeke is so obviously the bf's dog, not mine... I miss my Oreo, that connection and overwhelming love I have for her.

But someday maybe I'll hit my limit. I don't know. I've always wanted 4 dogs. Dunno why. Just seems like a good number, I guess.