BC Boards

Food?

melandster

All right . . I have decided on a new Dog food to try. ..

It's called Blue Buffalo. . They talk a good game So I'm going to try them... See how she does.

My Brother has briard (big old Sheep dog). when he first bought him, we got him set up with eukenuba.. but he wouldn't eat it. So we switch to IAMS but then He wouldn't stop vomiting! Well the list went on and on from Science diet To Nutro to Purina And So on. He never did well. . . he was just this thin lanky dog who could vomit or have the runs at the drop of a hat. well After my brother had had this dog about 6 months. He was bulking up and good looking Hair, and No stomach problems. I asked my brother what did and he said

I switched him to Old Roy.

Just goes to show you can never tell.. every dog is different.

Sterling

I read "Mr. Sam's" book (Made in America). He personally helped develope Ol'Roy dogfood. It was better than most if not all brands. But with most everything else after he died things change. I had family working at the corporate office before/after Sam Walton passed and was told things changed within weeks. Now they are only concerned with the bottom line: cost and profit.

As for kickbacks: Purina and Science Diet offers a Club that gives the breeders a rebate. Also puppy kits to give your buyers. But I don't think feed dealers/vets will admit if they get a "rebate". I called the 800# on the bag of Purina Puppy Chow and got 2 coupons for $2 off a bag. I have been feeding my litter PPC Healthy Morsels and at 5weeks old they are doing great. Very healthy and active. Though we have not fed Purina dog Chow in years. I have fed Ol'Roy Hi-Pro to adult dogs and had success. Maybe it really depends partly on the feed and partly on the individual dog?

Just a sidenote from an animal rights point of view on pet foods...Iams participates in animal testing of their products. They subject animals to cruel force-feeding and other abhorrent treatment to "better the quality of their products". I know PETA is way out there sometimes, but they have some interesting reading regarding the problems with Iams. I for one won't support a company that harms animals to make a buck.

Pam,

I used to feed Iams. I no longer feed Iams, I wouldn't feed Iams, but it has nothing to do with PETA lies. That rumor has been around for years, another of PETA's malicious tactics. If someone chooses not to feed Iams, let their reasons be based on facts, rather than rumors started by terrorist groups like PETA.

Don't feed Iams because your dog doesn't do well on it, you don't like the price or the bag is ugly, not because of PETA hype.

If a business or product is going to do well or not, let it be for valid reasons, not because of viscious rumors perpetuated by some idiots like PETA.

Anytime I see PETA connected to anything, I seriously question the validity of what I'm hearing. Consider the source. They will fabricate, exaggerate anything to further their agenda, and people fall for it.

The scary part about it is, every unsuspecting person they convince with slick and elaborate

publicity, is one person closer to their ideal society---one where you wouldn't be able to "own" your dogs, it would be a symbiotic relationship---you'd only admire all animals, including dogs and cats, from afar.

No, PETA is beyond "way out there sometimes." They are downright dangerous and I consider their ideals a threat to my way of life.

Vicki---who keeps 13 dog slaves against their will and one cat slave, always against his will.

I have to agree with Vicki re: PETA's scare tactics...always question their propaganda.

Scare tactic's don't work, it's been proven over and over again. It is good practice to research rumors before sending out the information, this goes hand in hand with forwarding e-mail chain letters and hoaxes.

I too, keep one BC and two fat cats as slave's against their will :rolleyes:

Very true, Vicki, very true. It's definitely a good idea to question what comes from them. I need to remember that.

Slave cat? Psht, I'm HIS slave - as evidenced by me getting up at 4am to let him outside because he wants to.

Iams participates in animal testing of their products. They subject animals to cruel force-feeding and other abhorrent treatment to "better the quality of their products".
that is not true.

I used to feed Excel, then my dog wouldnt stop burping and gurgling. I switched back to Iams, although i would prefer BARF.

Almost every dog I know eats store brand food. Some food is a little better than others. I prefer Nutro because it really makes my dogs fur look nice and they seem to be very healthy. I really don't think it's a huge deal. My friend had a little poodle mix that lived to be 19 or 20 years old and all they ever fed that dog was what was on sale at the super market, so go figure. I do agree with meat being the first ingredient but other than that I think you're splittin hairs. Hell, I know a guy that feeds his dog all kinds of stuff you're not supposed to, chicken bones, and/or whatever doesn't get eaten in the house and that dog is doing just fine, and looks very healthy. I'm not about to give my dog a whole chicken carcass like he does but I think we make too big a deal out of it sometimes. Especially considering about 60% of the people in the U.S. are overweight and don't know how to eat properly for themselves let alone thier pets.

60% of the people in the U.S. are overweight and don't know how to eat properly for themselves let alone thier pets.
And these are probably the biggest suckers for the dog food hype, who buy up the mystery nuggets that are being passed off as "good for your dog" by big pet food conglomerates. Good marketing strategies mean courting the consumer, the one who spends the money. Whether the dog does well on the stuff they process and throw into bags is secondary, if that high up on their list of priorities. And these pets wind up looking frighteningly like their owners.

Most dogs do adequately on most of the stuff that's out there, even some pretty lousy stuff but until a problem surfaces, no one really thinks to look for a better diet, that even if the dog is doing OK on a fair food, how much better the dog could do on a good food.

I have a 14 1/2 yr. old who hasn't had a morsel of kibble in 3 yrs.---all raw---long story, but his teeth look better than most dogs half his age.

He was fading on me three years ago when I made the decision, a last ditch effort and took him off all kibble, prescription diet in a bag included and put him on raw. Six weeks later he was working sheep again. I've seen differences also in my other dogs, but nothing quite as dramatic as this dog's turnaround.

One more time, do any of you out there remember a study done some years ago where old leather shoes, crankcase oil and some other stuff was processed together to form a kibble that met the percentage guidelines put forth by AAFCO? It met their standards. For me, that says a lot.

I don't need the AAFCO stamp of approval to feed my dogs. I think a lot of dog owners have begun to think for themselves. That's the first step to improvement---to question, to educate yourself.

Vicki

Allright I thought more about this.

we are a very Obesse Nation (USA), and we make a choice about the things we put into mouths. But our Pets Eat we give them relying on our choices to provide for them.

So maybe any old bag of dog food will keep your dog alive.. they may liver 15 or 20 years or even longer.

It's just like humans you hear about some guy who lived to 95 Smoking a cigar and drinking 1/5 of whisky a day.

okie..

I think I'm done

Hi

I feed my BC Science Diet w/d b/c he has Colitis. His breakfast gets about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the kibble. When he came from the shelter his hair was coarse and falling out everywhere. I heard that olive oil helped their coats and now his black hair is shiney, soft blue black.. It worked. I also feed him cooked chicken thighs. There's some good packaged food that Three Dog bakery makes (it has rice, sweet potatos,chicken, peas) that I give to him sometimes and it doesn't effect his stomach. He loves raw carrots! I have not started to introduce other foods yet but I plan on adding human grade food to his W/D.

Going this route is expensive but I feel it is an investment and my dog deserves it. There's a store near me called Crunchies. (crunchies.com) It carries natural dog food.(and cat food) I can't add anything about the truths/lies about of other foods, ie Purina, Ol'Roy etc. I think most people love their dogs and do what they think is best.

My reasons for being a proponent of human grade dog food, much to my husbands dismay, are the following:

#1 My sister got a rescued a Greyhound and that dog was messed up!-his hair was thin and falling out, he had hilacious breath, he was overweight and had frequent intestinal distress. She went to a wholistic vet who said change his diet to human grade food. She did. She cooks for him or she gets Steves Real Food or Sojourners. All those health issues vanished rapidly. I saw it all for myself.

#2 Our lab was diagnosed with a mangiosacrcoma and given 2 weeks to live. I started feeding him steak, carrots, peas and rice/oats...figured, let the boy go out in style...he lived a year.

:rolleyes: (About 3 years before he died I tried to change his diet to a healthier one. I threw a can of green beans in-he loved it! AND GOT BAD, BAD diarhea. Lesson #1: changing the diet has to be slowwwwwwww. After that I added a little carrots, green beans or peas to his usual Iams Lamb and Rice. I can't help but wonder if I had commited to the full diet changeover to human grade food, would he be here today)

#3 Another friend had a 13 year old cat with all kinds of problems. Asthma being one and sinus issues. She was spwnding tons of $ on surgeries and medicines. She put her cat on a raw food diet and all his issues, except for the gingivitus cleared up, he became kitten-like again and he lived to be 18.

Anyway...I think giving dogs healthier food will give them a better chance at a longer life. Just like us.

***you can't just feed them anything-the food needs to be formulated for a dogs diet. (just to be clear)

Okay that's all!

Kim

I have found Castor & Pollus Organix Dog Food to be excellent. Other foods thatI have used and recommend are Timberwolf Organics, Solid Gold MMilleneum, Innova, and Wellness. I belive my dog enjoys Organix the most. Great Protein and high fat content...