BC Boards

BC's and water

anngreenthumb

My last BC/Aussie mix was a water dog. She would lie down in any puddle and loved her wading pool. A bath was a snap. My new Lani is a different dog, she hates water. Doesn't like wet feet, scared to death of the hose, walks a wide berth around the kiddie pool and tonite was her first bath. Wild time. She hated it and has been pouting since then. Pouting means, voluntarily in her crate with her face to the wall and back to us. Please tell me she will get over it. I thot BC's were good water dogs. How about yours?

Mine hates it too. Bath-off course, rain, puddle, anything. She used to hold her pee when it rained. Someone suggested to play in rain so we did. I think she is okay with rain now. But when we go to outdoor where there is water, she would NOT go in.

I got inside with long boots on the other day to see what she would do. She got really frustrated but no luck. In two weeks, we are taking her to the beach (yeah texas beach, great)and introuduce her to the water officially. My plan is to just go crazy, happy happy with everyone and dogs. Hopefully she would join us eventually.

I think letting her make her own decision, and not focing would be the best way to go. Let's keep each other updated

Oreo has hated baths and swimming since she was a pup. She loves the sprinkler/hose and doesn't seem to care about rain... she likes chasing waves and doesn't mind getting her feetsies wet, but no swimming.

As for getting over it, I have no idea... mine never did. :rolleyes:

Samnatha is part trout, I swear. Her very favorite thing is swimming after the ball. I've got some really good pix of her when she was younger swimming like a champ.

My other 2, Shoshone and Buzz, think water is evil and put on this earth only to torture them. Shoshone has to be bathed frequently because of her allergies, and she always looks like she's being disemboweled, slowly. Neither one of them shows any signs of change.

Ruth n the Border Trio

Ah, water. Don't I wish Combat at least was neutral about the stuff. I mop my floors daily because he plays in his water bowl. God help us if we leave a toilet seat up because he WILL try to get -in- the toilet to swim around. I can't take a shower with him in the bathroom because he'll jump in. The last time my mother-in-law visited, he pushed open the bathroom door and jumped into the tub with her. :rolleyes:

Sage, though...dislikes water. She sulks for hours after a bath. She always has hated it and probably always will. She's never had a bad experience with it, i've had her since she was 6 weeks old but I guess it's just a thing.

Okay when Zip was a pup, she hated to even get her feet wet. She hated the rain, and she still gets this really funny look on her face when she is getting a bath, which we did yesterday.

A few weeks ago, we had to go to my moms next door to feed the horses while they were gone, for a few days we just took her with us, and she just tried to get the cat. Bad dog. Then we let her and my chocolate lab go, as soon as we got to the fence my lab took off and launched into the water, before Zip knew what she was doing she had also jumped into the pond. She turned around and swam back to shore, and got out, but when she realized how much fun the lab was having she just kept going in. She ended up swimming the whole pond with my lab. I was so proud of her, she was a wonderful first time swimmer. She looked like a pro. But she still hates a bath. lol. Go figure?

Keegan loves the water, but doesn't like to swim.

The first time at the lake, I think he scared himself and went out past where he could touch. However, he still loves the water and he refuses to come out...like a little kid.

He loves his kiddie pool, the hose, lakes, streams, ponds, and even baths. He will practically fall asleep while I give him baths.

Nope. Dale hates water. HATES it. Hates it so much in fact, that he makes life hell for my Goldens when they try to swim or play in any kind of water. He will actually BITE my Golden as she heads into the water...if he is brave enough to chase her in. My Golden loves to be shot with a water pistol, and Dale gets so upset over it, he goes into a frenzy and eventually runs and hides.

Sophie and my next door BC both LOVE playing in the hose. We have all sorts of games we play. Since they both like games with "rules" I make sure I play that way.Sophie will play until she is sopping, and mind you, it's cold water too.Why the negative reaction to a nice warm shower is beyond me. Though Sophie does get the zoomies after a bath, then it is into sulk mode for a few hours. She will go and hide under or behind someones legs if I call her, won't play with me.And if she gets outside, will go hide under a bush until she feels she has punished me enough.

with Jake, it depends on what kind of water. If its a spray with the hose, he goes nuts (with joy). If its into-the-tub-we-go, he tries to hightail it to the next country. So far, he loves water until it reaches his belly. Then he'll either stop in his tracks and refuse to go farther (he'll just stand there drinking the water, if we're at the lake) or he'll turn right around and run back to shore (or to the bathroom door, spraying water every which way, it depends). Because of his water-phobia with bathtime, I have to use the hose now, and its working. He gets the saddest look on his face, and will occationally try to run away, but for the most part, he puts up with it. If he's a good boy, he gets an extra 10 minutes to chase the stream of hose all over the front yard, lol

My friend and I took our dogs for a walk today. It was about 80. After walking for a while we headed to the pond. My friends Lab and Aussie started running for the pond and so did Bandit. Then he realized that they were headed for the pond and it was like he said, "Oh, just water." He will only go to the edge of the water but will not get in.

Whisky doesn't seem to mind the rain, but she hates having a bath and isn't interested in the sprinkler or the hose.

She went swimming once at the beach, but only because she was chasing seagulls and they flew out to sea. She chased them into the water until she was swimming, then suddenly stopped with a shocked look on her face, and got out as soon as she could.

Makin' loves the water unless I am spraying it from the hose. She'll play in the pouring rain, swim in the pool, run for the lakes where we hike, and she tollerates a bath. She doesn't like being sprayed by the hose though.

Kru-Ella, the AB, LOVES ALL WATER!!!!!! She doesn't love the rain as much as Makin' but she will come a runnin' if she hears the water hose turn on. She likes to attack the water coming out of the hose.

Fionn has learned to enjoy the water by watching the girls. he will try his best to attack the water hose, now swims in the pool (actually a livestock watering tank, but I turned it in to a doggie pool), and will wade in the lakes. He didn't like water at first though.

They like it or they don't, or they like the beach but not still water, or they like the pool but not a bath,.......etc etc. Our Rani, BC Kelpie (yes she was like two sticks of dynamite waiting to go off, lol!) HATED bath. I got totally annoyed one day and thought 'I'll leash you and put you in the bath spot', she let me drag her all the way, nearly choking mind you and then quite contentedly got her bath. The look on her face said 'I'll do it if you make me but I WON'T go Willingly', this same dog used to run down and chase waves at the beach. Rani is now deceased and I have since had two BC's, one of which I still have. The old girl loved the water and swam in the pool to the extent that I thought she'd go mouldy, she also loved the hose and couldn't have cared less about the bath. The new little one, Tia, loves the beach, (goes in head first, gets rolled, and goes back for more), but won't be tempted into still water and 'endures' the bath........hmmm

Sally

I?ve got water lovers ? dam, ocean, and bath. Actually the bath is the shower ? I have a flexible hose shower, and a drain hole in the bathroom floor, so bath time is a dream. I just have to mention the word ?bath? and they are both in the bathroom, arguing about who?s going to go first! What really threw me was that one day I mentioned to the dogs (as you do) that I was going to wash the floor ? at which they both headed for the bathroom for their wash! :rolleyes:

Meant to say - fabulous pics, Jodi.

Turbo and Merlin love to swim in the river--when it is too hot to do anything else, we go down and I throw the Frisbee in the water and they swim out and get it. Turbo is a really strong swimmer--he's the only dog I've ever seen that swims like a person--he takes really long strokes from way in front of him all the way back to his hips. Merlin dog-paddles.

Neither likes to be bathed.... although they also get the "zoomies" afterwards...

MR

cammie used to hate water... just like yours. But it seemed that after she had been around it alot more (we take her to a cranberry bog and theres a big lake) she got used to it and now she swims and doesnt mind baths.

so hopefully after some time passes she will become more "aquanted" to water and not be so skiddish.

I can't believe it today Bandit made me out to be a liar! Today my friend and I took the dogs on a different walk that Bandit had not been on before at the quarry. It was hot and quite windy and when we got to the quarry he jumped in the water! I thought that he didn't like the water. The whole time we were there he kept jumping in the water and even swimming. I don't know if he thought that he saw a reflection in the water(which he is quite anal about)or if he thought that he could get the two ducks that were at the other end of the quarry. Either way I was very surprised by this. At the end of the walk he jumped into some dirty water so we washed both of the dogs off with the water hose when we got back to my friend's house and both Bandit and the Aussie did not like that!

Mattie

When my BC Andy lived on property with a pond, he used to go for a swim even in winter; he'd come back to the door with ice crystals in his coat. I could never understand why he would do this voluntarily, but wasn't so keen on a warm bath. Just another of his amusing neuroses I guess.

-kevin-

Mine loves swimming at the beach, wears herself out playing in the sprinkler trying to get the water, but hates having a bath whether in the shower, laundry sink, or under the hose. Go figure. I should get one of those fertilizer attachments for the hose, put shampoo in it and pretend to water the yard to soap her up, then switch to plain water for rinse!