BC Boards

shared shelter - sheep and draft horse(s)

KrisK

I did a search on this forum about shelters and pastures (some of the questions I posted - I really must print the answers!) Since I'm still in the planning stages, I'd like to clarify a couple of things. I know there are many of you with both sheep and horses.

If I have a small flock of sheep(6 or so) and 1 or 2 draft horses would one shelter be sufficient? I am thinking about a 3 sided pole barn in a pasture area of about 5 acres. From what I have been reading so far, neither the sheep or horses require a full barn. This pasture area is currently one of the hayfields. I would still have about 30 acres of producing hayfields. I would also consider some temporary fencing in those areas once the hay has been cut.

Thanks

hi there

I can just speak from my experience as a youngster, and also as someone who took care of horses for a living. For the youngster part, we found that the horses (ponies) bullied the sheep when it came to the run in sheds. From the adult working aspect- the same held true- the horses love to protect their assets (hay, water, and shelter) and will not hesitate to kick another horse, or other animal out. I would suggest two shelters.

Julie

Unless you have one of the rare horses who has bonded to the sheep, two shelters are must. Also, if you pasture them together, you're going to have to move the horse every time you want to put the dog on the sheep. Unless you want a very badly injured dog.

My mare terrorises the sheep, the colt wants to play with everything, so everyone stays seperate. They graze the same pastures- great parasite control- but not at once. My mare will also not hesitate to kick the living snot out of any dog that enters her pasture.

98% of my sheep never see shelter, but I live in a mild climate. The horses are blanketed, but as of yet, I haven't gotten a shed up for them. Only the wimpy Nubian goats have a shed- otherwise they scream!

So, no, I don't advise keeping horses & sheep together.

Depends on the horse.

I have a old Arabian mare that is very protective of her sheep. The sheep hang under her belly and are her buds. They all hang out in the shelter together.

One horse I sold recently, hated the sheep and would not let them in the shelter.

My shelter is pretty roomy too....in each field I have lots of trees, one or more shelters so the animals all have choices.

If i didn't have emmy (Arab) and had another horse, I would make sure I had 2 shelters.

Diane

We have a 33 y/o pony (almost horse size) who lives with the sheep. He's been with them about 12 years now, and seems to enjoy the companionship. He also seems to have an "understanding" with my dogs - they don't bother him, he doesn't bother them.

If he still had another horse companion it might have been a little different, but his pony buddy had recently died when we started penning him near the sheep, and he was a bit lonesome by himself. Up until the past few years he'd whinny to the sheep if they wandered off and left him.

I used to keep my sheep in with the horses with no problem. One day I wanted to allow the sheep into another area to eat some downed fir branches. I opened the gate and they came running right behind my gelding and he nailed one good right in the shoulder. She was three legged for several days and I was very concerned it was broken. The ewe recovered and my horses have been separated from the sheep since. I miss seeing them out together. My gelding is usually so gentle with the sheep and would actually share his grain with them. But I consider it too risky. His natural reaction to being startled from behind could end it for someone.

muddy

I dont have sheep but I do have 2 goats and 2 horses. Right now one of my horses is alone (she's older and gets grain) and my other horse is with the 2 goats. Kayce (with the goats) doesnt really like the goats, he'll really bully if locked in a small enough spot that the goats cant get away but he shares a 8X10 run in stall with them just fine.

Thank you! Those are the 'real life' replies that I need to make the right decisions BEFORE the animals start arriving So, first I'll get the sheep....then the horses and probably divide up another one of the fields for pasture and shelter.