BC Boards

Ewes not bred yet

kimkathan

I'v had my ram in for 2 full cycles now, and starting the third. All of my ewes have been bred thefirst go round (with no re-breeds) except for 2. One is 2 now and lambed las year as a yearling and had twins fine. This is the first time being bred for the other who is a little over a year and a half now (was a triplet, which is why I kept her). Should I think about culling them, or is there something that I could do to help "induce" a cycle?

Both are healthy, and have had no problems in the past. Vaccinated and wormed regularly with no significant findings on the last fecal

If these ewes have been in with the others, fed and treated the same, then for some reason, they may just not be cycling and may or may not this year. I've had some girls that have lambed regularly, then miss a year - I've had some that never lambed or did once/twice, and never did again after that. It depends on how much you really like these ewes and how patient you are. You could keep trying them and if they don't take, try again next year - or cull. I've never used any of the synchronizing products, but have heard mixed results. I figure if they can't cycle naturally and if they aren't easy lambers/good mothers, I really don't want to have to mess with it - unless it happens to be an exceptional ewe that is worth the extra bother.

I assume you are using a marking harness on your ram? Has he marked them, but then remarks them at the next cycle? If so, that means they are coming into heat, but not settling - unless you have an aggressive ram that mounts anything he can catch.

I know this doesn't help much, but it can be a hard thing to pin down and a tough decision sometimes (I hate culling young, seemingly healthy ewes unless they try to kill me on a regular basis or something like that). I'd let them go for the third cycle and see what happens, but I'd have doubts if they'll take this time, either. At least you know it's not your ram if the others are settled. Good luck.

The ram did not escape (totally different location)

He has marked all the others EXCEPT for these two (not a mark on them, even the weathers have Some)

I hate to get rid of them if there is a chance of them being bred (good temperment, good history,good mother(the one who has) descent working for the dogs, easy overall keepers

That being the case, unless you are financially (or husband) pushed to make them "pay for themselves", hang onto them and see - and if they aren't, then maybe they will next year. If you like them, give them a second chance.

On the subject of unknown/unscheduled breeding, I have a friend that has Karakuls. She had a ram that would jump the fence, breed the ewes, then jump back into his pen - so he was always where he was supposed to be when she came out to the barn. I'm assuming he screwed up and got caught (thus how she knew he was doing it), but hey, they can be pretty devious sometimes.

What breeds? Just about everything should be cycling by now, but some of the more primative breeds do have very short breeding seasons, especially as far north as we are.

Of course, there's also always the possibility that they were bred but not marked. If you're using a crayon, there are all kinds of ways for them to fail: too cold, harness too loose, crayon falls out, wool too wet, etc.

do any neighbors have rams?

i ask because my friend has shetlands, balwens and used to keep soays.

she had one elderly soay ewe who was a favourite 'pet' but she no longer felt she should lamb her or at least give her a rest for a year.

she was put in the paddock with the ewe lambs well away from any rams at least a couple of paddocks between groups(ha!)

not once that year did we ever find a ram in the wrong paddock, or the soay escape to the rams.

in the middle of lambing she produced a fine set of soay x shetland twins! there were also a couple of sets of shetland x balwen lambs appear, again with no clue that the rams had ever got to the wrong breed!

i swear the sheep were plotting and somehow got to each other then snuck back 'home' before we ever saw them!

when i had my own, i had one ewe who never got pregnant, so i sold her along with some cracking gimmers. (yes i did tell the person that she had never caught and he offered a token payment for her. she was going to a hill type farm, which i think would have suited her better.)

i would have kept her as a pet as she was so much fun to have around, but there was no fence that she couldnt escape from or get stuck in, and no mischief that she wouldnt find! she was more work that all the rest put together!

also are either of the ewes too fat? i think this was oakies (my naughty ewe) problem, hence why i thought she would do better on the hill.