BC Boards

Sheep coming this weekend!!

kelpiegirl

hey everyone:

As I mentioned, we (my brother and I) are getting sheep. I got lots of good advice and we are going ahead. I hadn't decided on where/what to get, but as fate would have it, yesterday as I drove to the paint store, a sign about 5'x5' said "EASTER LAMBS". So, hmmmmm. Then, I got home with the paint and was reading the paper, and there was an ad again, so I called and left a message. The lady (very nice) called me back, and at first, I really didn't know how to ask- were they still alive? Sometimes "lamb" can mean, table ready. It was awkward, but she told me, yes, they are Then I asked how old- she told me 8-12 weeks, a mix of male/female, and they are a mix of Katahdin/Southdown. So, I am going this afternoon to have a look. They have their vax as well. Okay, folks- insight welcome

Julie

Are you going to try to work your dogs on them Julie? Lambs without a ewe to follow are really really stupid. Some of these sound really young to be weaned too. So, you may want to add in an older dogge ewe to show them the ropes. Also, don't overwork them. When you first put a dog on them, they may just run around like crazed ping pong balls, exhaust themselves and then just lay down and play dead.

A

hey andrea:

No, won't be working them- not for a while. I want them to settle in, and since they are young, I thought it might be well, not so good for anyone involved! I may have the option, depending on what the farmers says, to let them stay there with their mothers for a bit longer- I think they weren't thinking in terms of these guys maybe not living past Easter dinner..... I will get a good look at them later today, and see what we will do. They also have some pure southdowns that will be available at a later date- do you know how they work?

Julie

Southdowns are nice sweet sheep, but can get "heavy" very quickly.

You'll want to leave the "easter dinner" lambs with their mamas until a full three months old if possible. You CAN wean them at 8 weeks. I've raised orphans as young as 2 weeks without a bottle. That's pretty unusual and I consider those lambs serious survivors. The daughter of that ewe lamb just had HER first set of twins and I'm considering keeping one as a "pickup" ram.

Anyway, the earlier you pull them off, before 12 or 13 weeks, the less advantage they will have against disease, parasites, and environmental stresses. Plus as Julie mentioned they learn many valuable things from their dams (including raising lambs to maturity, for ewe lambs).