BC Boards

Ewe down

Shoofly

Hi Robin,

Banamine is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It will help reduce swelling, and thereby reduce pain. It also assists in increasing blood flow to infected areas, which will increase the amount of antibiotic that gets to the site of infection. In my experience, antibiotics are much more effective when used with Banamine or its generic equivalents.

If it makes you feel any better, my vet has me use penicillin G procaine 300,000 iu/ml at the rate of 1 cc per 15 lbs body weight twice a day. A typical ewe is getting 10 cc morning and 10 cc nighttime. Withdrawal time is extended to 28 days.

Thanks guys! When i got to her today, the ewe was looking really good. She's eating, wanting to be with the other sheep, her discharge seems to be drying up and her feet didn't seem as sore. I ended up not giving her the banamine since she wasn't avoiding moving around and was just a tiny bit off on her feet. I just hated to poke her again. I'll hit her with the antibiotic again tomorrow and then i think she's going to be just fine. Thanks again for all of the ideas and info! There's alway something new to learn when it comes to sheep it seems and i picked up a lot from this episode.