BC Boards

Web boards for aspiring hobby farmers?

KrisK

I wonder if anyone knows of other web boards specifically for hobby farmers - or wannabees..like me I always lurk on the livestock management board, but I don't want to bother you with the very basic questions that I have about getting started. Thanks! You have always been generous with advice and pointing people in the right direction.

There's no question too dumb for "livestock management." We're all learning new stuff all the time. Post away!

Thanks, Mark. I'll take a look at those sites soon. I'm busy trying to come up with some way to have sheep and draft horses before I retire (which isn't for at least 10 years...IF I'm lucky!) One step at a time I guess

Well, OK, here is a niave newbie question then... we will hopefully be getting a new bit of property to move to next year and be able to semi-retire... needing to do vegitation management in my moderately forested So CAL mountain property. Have a small fenced padock and thought I could use an Electranet type mobile fencing to move periodically across the 4 acres. Thinking 3 sheep. Looking at CA Reds.... they seem to be calm, easy keepers. Does this seem a reasonable approach? Do I get just ewes/ewe and lambs or add one welter and 2 ewes? Not looking to breed. Of course my border collie would be delighted. Lysa

I would LOVE to raise Reds. They look like really cool sheep. I don't know how they'd acclimate to our humidity and high parasite pressure however. They ARE based on Tunis, though, aren't they?

Sheep are a great way to manage undergrowth responsibly. If you've got the forage to support them, why not breed? You could borrow a ram from whoever you get the Reds from, probably, and market the lambs with theirs. I always tell new people to sheep, to mentor with someone very established in the area.

Julie... Until I go check out some local ranchers only know what I read so far... so will let you know! One of the ranches also raises stock dogs and says the reds have a strong flock instinct. Heres what the specialty page says:

"Though alert and athletic, both rams and ewes are known for their gentle easy going temperaments and responsiveness to quiet handling. Both sexes are naturally hornless. The California Red is an easy keeping breed that, when fed a balanced pasture grass and/or hay diet, does not require heavy graining to reach market weight.WOOL is beige or oatmeal colored with hairs, ranging from gold to dark cinnamon red, intermixed throughout. Due to the silky feel of the wool, along with the unique visual texture of the contrasting hairs, it is no surprise that it is sought after by hand spinners and weavers."

Have plenty of time to do more research... found some ranchs not too far from me. Perhaps a sheep mentor in there somewhere. Thanks for the info. Lysa