BC Boards

herding dairy cows

blackiez

Blackiez is 13 mos, we've had her since she was 6 wks. She's had the run of the farm land until now since I have her tied by a 20 ft cable. She doesn't seen to mind,is safe from traffic and can't randomly dig holes to China in the lawn! Question 1: Can I expect her to help herd the dairy cows into the barn,if so I do I get her started? Question 2: I've never heard her bark, should I be concerned?

You should be glad she doesn't bark! That is not a good trait for a border collie. It's more of a trait you find in loose eyed dogs like the Aussie. When they are working they should be quiet and a border collie that barks when it is not working is a bored dog who is starting to show symptoms of frustration. (Even when they work cattle they shouldn't bark)

I don't see why you couldn't expect her to work if she has the ability. I would suggest that if it is your first time training a BC that you get some help. Either send her away for training or find someone near you who you can take lessons from. New York has some good handlers you could get help from. Alot of BC's can do the work naturaly with no help from a trainer, but there are also plenty of them that would have worked but got ruined by a novice handler who tho well meaning, screwed the dog up.

Good luck and have fun!

Jenny Glen

Northern New York is a big place, but there are quite a few accomplished trainers in your state. Check out the North East Border Collie Association's website http://www.nebca.net and look for trial dates in your area. I know there are trials coming up in Cooperstown and Rhinebeck. There is also a series of trials in southern Ontario in early August. If you attend these trials, you could perhaps meet up with someone who could help you out.

What about the breeder of your dog? Can't he or she offer any guidance?