BC Boards

parasite questions

Tony wrote

simultaneous dosing with 2 effective wormers and dosing with half the amount 12 hours apart has been shown to increase efficacy
Tony,

I have heard of doing this but not sure if I understand what you wrote. Are you saying you take the full dose of wormer A & B. Divide the appropriate dose for each wormer in half. Administer half the appropriate dose of wormer A & B and then 12 hours later administer the other half dose of both wormer A & B?

Also, when choosing the wormers,would you use something like Valbazan and levasole together?

Nancy O

My previous post wasn't very clear. The article discusses two different techniques. One is splitting a normal dose of single wormer and administering each half 12 hours apart. The other is simultaneously applying normal doses of two wormers of different classes, but I believe this is effective only if there's relatively low resistance to each wormer in the first place.

I never tried the splitting dose technique. I tried the two wormer technique using Valbazen and Prohibit (levamisole) when I purchased some yearling ewes that were overwormed and undernourished. They improved very quickly, but I also gave them high quality feed and isolated them in a relatively clean paddock, so take this anecdotal evidence for what it's worth.

Since the techniques try to accomplish different things, i.e. increasing contact between the wormer and the parasites and decreasing surviving parasites, I don't know why they couldn't be used in conjunction.

Wow, thanks for all the great information! I'm going to find out more about that FAMACHA course before I sign up, but I think I'm going to take it. It looks like I have a lot to learn.

BTW, do you all think there's anything to the idea that sheep tend to be a little loose when they first go onto the new spring grass? Or would you take messy butts as a bad sign at any time?

Did you use a tape, Debbie, or were you eyeballing it? I had a goat tape, which I found to be underestimating the weights, and then glory be found a "lamb tape"! Wish I could remember where I got it because it's starting to fade - it's vinyl and the numbers are rubbing off. I don't know why I'm so rotten at eyeballing my sheep - probably because I've been switching breeds my whole experience - from hair to hair cross to medium sized wools to heavy wools.

I had two ram lambs last fall that were astounding. One was a winter-born lamb. He was large and framey and as big as or bigger than most of our ewes. As he was coming down the race, I figured him at 145 to 160 pounds. He weighed 130.

A smaller, less striking ram lamb was right behind him. He was a spring born lamb, and shaping up well, but not very big yet. I figured him at 120. He weighed 145.

My eye is usually pretty good. I can draw orders for lambs within a 10 pound range virtually by eye, just using the scale to confirm my selections and provide exact weights -- but there aren't many of our lambs that are grown out to those heavier weights.

I can't imagine how a tape would have handled those two ram lambs with anything like accuracy.