BC Boards

Lamb scours

Shoofly

I have something i've not seen in my baby lambs this year and was wondering if anyone else has seen it, or has advice or whatever. One of the new lambs (couple days old) has had scours and it's bright yellow. I know what the first feces look like, that darker mustardy yellow and this is a different color and thinner in consistency. The lamb seems fine, fat and alert. This morning i noticed another one and i swear, the color is almost *neon* yellow it's so bright. One book i looked in suggested yellow scours are usually just overfeeding, and the lambs seem fine so i'm guessing maybe that's it. Any ideas?

I put out some minerals the other day as well and the ewes went nuts for them since I'd been out of them for awhile. Maybe that has something to do with it as well?

Suggestions on what, if anything, i should do? I gave the first one a bit of neomycin and that seemed to go okay so i'm thinking maybe i'll do them both with that.

Robin,

not sure what it is, but for scours I give Spectam Scour-halt that is labeled for pigs. Has always worked great with one dose, I seem to get one or two when they start eating alot of creep feed.

nancy O

Nancy - do you know what the active ingredient is in that? Places to buy stuff are few and far between here so i have to order most things. Maybe it's the same ingredient as something else i already have like the Neomycin, so i could get right to using it.

Called my vet and she thinks it's probably just overeating too, said she gets it in some of her goats sometimes. Asked if the ewes have huge udders and it's funny, since i'd noticed they look like they're carrying basketballs under them this year.

I'll get some of that ScourHalt and keep it around. Thanks!

Robin, I'm sorry I missed this. Been awfully busy the last few days.

Yellow scours is indeed simply overfeeding. You see it more often in bottle lambs but if the ewe's nutritional level jumps up you can see it briefly in a few ewe-fed lambs, and then it will disappear. It's more or less harmless as long as the lamb is clearly still feeding and the feces are not getting darker and thinner (indicating dehydration in the lamb).

One thing to consider, if this is a multiple, check the other siblings. I've seen this if one of a set suddenly falls off in its feeding, thus giving more feeding opportunity to the healthy siblings.

I hope the lamb is doing fine now and this is just for general information. :rolleyes: