BC Boards

Extreme weather hardy goats?

KrisK

I am trying to get information about breeds of goats, particularly dairy, that would survive in extreme (particularly winter) conditions. There are many communities in our northern areas where drinking milk is considered a luxury. These people pay anywhere from $14.00 to 16.00 for 4 litres of milk. To put that in perspective, I usually pay about $4.50 for 4 litres. So instead of drinking milk, the children drink softdrinks, koolaid, etc. Needless to say, there are significant health issues because of this diet. It seems to me that if there was a way for these communities to have dairy goats there would be significant health benefits. However,....I'm goat challenged :rolleyes: and thought that there may be people here who could point me in the right direction. I have no idea if this is a viable proposal but it's worth a shot!

Thank you!

Aren't some of the most popular dairy goat breeds Alpine breeds (including the "Alpine" of course) from Austria, Switzerland, and Germany?

Here's a neat rundown of information on marketing dairy goats and products:

http://ag.udel.edu/extension/information/goatmgt/gm8-98.htm

Darn, I forgot - here's where I found that link:

From my favorite sheep and goat reference site:

http://www.sheepandgoat.com/goatlnks.html

My own goats did very well this winter and you know that we have had our cold nights. Mine had shelter in their overgrown doghouse and I grained them every day.

If you're thinking Attawapiskat North type regions I think keeping the goats fed could be a problem. Mine pruned every spruce they could reach but they need their hay everyday. They are rather fussy about the hay. The horses always cleaned up their meals but the goats just picked out the choice stems and then yelled for more. Great Idea, I don't see why it couldn't work.

Actually, the village they were talking about on CBC was formerly known as Big Trout Lake...about 700 km north of Thunder Bay. I know when I was up in Moosonee, the land is mostly black spruce, boggy. My geography is rusty, but I think that area would have a similar type of vegetation. It would be reasonable to think some of the land could be cultivated for hay but it would need to grow in a very short season. I must investigate further but I agree, I don't see why it couldn't work...and make for some small business opportunities and self sufficiency too!