BC Boards

Twins Lambing Problem

Deacon Dog

We've had two ewes give birth to one healthy twin and one either born dead or that died very shortly after birth. May be coincidence, but two incidences in our small flock is worrisome. Possible abortion or stillbirth causes per our reference manuals seem to indicate that there would be a problem with both twins. Any suggestions?

I had this the year we couldn't feed the last few weeks of gestation like we needed to, but that's not a concern for you, I'm pretty sure.

Are these experienced mothers?

Isn't the other twin usually a poor doer if the cause is abortion?

Denise, one was noticeably smaller and more covered in amniotic fluid. The other weighed within a few ounces of its live twin and looked normal to me. Are you thinking of a specific problem that may apply to the first?

Unfortunately we weren't present for either birth so I don't know the birthing order.

Hi Tony,

Variation in size in twins can come from several different factors. Factors involving impaired growth due to less placental nourishment in utero in one twin could cause weakness and death after birth. It doesn't sound as if this kind of thing was the problem.

I almost lost one twin on Saturday morning simply because the ewe (not a first timer) didn't notice it. It was cold (23 degrees) and had I not gotten to it pretty fast like I did, it would have soon died. This one was just lucky it was born around when I was checking. Fortunately the sack was broken enough for it to breath but the ewe hadn't touched it. It was pretty close to death by the time I got to it and it took me three hours to get it jumpstarted and back on the ewe.

Something similar would be my guess in your case since they seemed okay otherwise.