BC Boards

Livestock Trailer

Pipedream Farm

Renee and I are mulling over our choices of livestock trailers. We only have room to store one about 12' long (16' is too long) and it will be out in the weather. We will use it to haul culls to market and to haul sheep to other fields to work. We've looked around some for a used step-up horse trailer with no real luck; we've seen a few in our area but they all seem too pricy for the condition (probably DC metro area pricing). Since we're not having luck with used (we'll keep looking), we're looking at our choices of new. We can get steel (ca. $3500) or aluminum (ca. $6000); is the extra cost of the aluminum worth it in light of our outside storage?

Mark

'Long about spring there will be a ton of trailers in here (there's already a few, though none that struck me as exactly what you describe):

http://www.ncagr.com/paffairs/class.htm

With all the traveling y'all do for trials it seems like North Carolina isn't that far to go for a good deal on a trailer.

I've seen so many rusty steel trailers that unless you plan to spend a lot of money on prophylactic painting, I'd go for the aluminum.

I don't remember what you drive, Mark, but I think aluminum is much lighter for the same strength, is it not? I think you can pull an aluminum trailer with a vehicle that wouldn't be able to handle the equivalent steel trailer.

Ah, to have sheep and to be able to go places!

IMO and from a strictly financial point of view, the additional cost of an aluminum trailer isn't worth it.

Based on talking with a lot of people, the life of a steel trailer stored outdoors and kept clean is about 10 years. If you buy a $3,500 trailer, use it for 10 years and sell it for $500, the net present value at 6% is apx $3,000.

Aluminum trailers have great resale value. Even so, if you buy a $6,000 trailer, use it for 10 years and sell it for $4,000, the net present value at 6% is apx $3,400, or $400 more expensive than the steel trailer.

Another idea that is quite a lot cheaper, since i think you're talking about only hauling a few sheep here and there, is to get a nice utility trailer and make or have made (or buy) some sort of box you can slide in and out of it. I use the heck out of the trailer i bought.

Mark,

have you considered buying a landscape trailer with the split drop down ramps and putting wood sides on it?

Trailer would go for about $1200 (6'x12') plus the cost of the treated wood for the sides, probably about half the cost of the cheaper trailer.

Nancy O

PS Tony, how do you figure the net present value?

Hey, who let the CPA in here? :rolleyes::D:D

That's interesting. Even with the additional resale value steel is still a better deal. I guess the paint would be worth it, then, huh? $400 will buy a lot of touchups at least!

Since we scaled back quite a bit we can fit our whole flock in a ten foot flatbed with built up sides. It's not the best but we we able to travel a couple of rams from Massachusets in it with only a minor mishap (they got shipping sickness and we had forgotten to bring penicillin). And of course it's no problem to throw culls into or travel my sheep somewhere for working.

I do miss my full sized truck with the camper. It was great to just throw one in the back to take up to the processor. It actually got done, as opposed to now when it's a major production to put the sides on the trailer and hook it up, just to drive one lamb two miles.

I think we might, next year, get a "farm truck" for a few hundred bucks and put a top on it, for that sort of thing.

Our thought on an open trailer (i.e. no top) was it would suffer from exposure more than a trailer with a top. Plus one with a top could be used for some storage.

We were originally hoping to find a used horse or stock trailer for about $1000.

As far as the modified utility trailer, how many sheep (in terms of weight) would it hold before you max out the 3500# axles?

Rebecca, we use a 700 Veri Kennel in our van to haul one cull to market. We use 400s to haul a few lambs to the butcher. For one or two, crates are much cheaper than a trailer or truck. There is a point in terms of numbers where a trailer is cheaper (time, miles, gas, etc) than multiple trips with a van and crates.

Mark

Rebecca,

I have a cap on my truck and it works great for hauling sheep to auction. I have a ramp that I built that fits into the end of my chute and up they go with the dog, I can load them myself. It is really easy to take sheep to auction.

But I would not be able to use this to go to other fields as there is really no place to put the 8 ft ramp and I'm not able to lift the sheep into the back of the truck.

Nancy O

Robin,

For working it's nice to have two groups. Let's say 8 sheep at 150 lbs each = 1200#. How much do these trailers weigh and how much do the modifications weigh? If that total is close to 2000# then these trailers won't work.

Here's a $550 example from Northern Tool: NorthStar 2000-Lb. GVW Utility Trailer Kit. This trailer has a 2000# GVW and a ship weight of 350#. Assuming 1200# of sheep that leaves 450# for the mods and the 4x8x3/4" plywood floor (not included and ca. 70lbs) before it's overweight.

Mark

Mark, I was assuming the aluminum trailer is sold at the end of year 10.

I don't know the useful life of an aluminum trailer, but ff you run the calculation with the same assumptions but for 20 years and replacing the steel trailer in year 11, then the aluminum trailer is apx $300 cheaper.

If you decide to go with an open setup, Border Springs Supply has panels that you can assemble into a pen, complete with top, onto a flat bed trailer.

I used to have a van and a greyhound crate to haul one or two sheep. The 'Burban doesn't fit a 700 crate, unfortunately - it doesn't fit in the back door.

My lambs outgrow a 400 at about two months old! :rolleyes:

Nancy, I used to haul sheep in my truck between two fields about thirty miles apart - I had about seventy sheep altogether to care for and it seemed like the sheep I needed at home were always at the other place! Anyway, I got really good at tipping sheep, lifting the front legs onto the tailgate, and then back legs. Half of a Columbia ewe is only about 75 to 80 pounds - about the weight of a bale of hay, right?

During this time I started going over to Steve's regularly for training. He was constantly worrying about my getting "trampled" by his Katadhin/Barb crosses. I was more worried about getting blindsided because I wasn't used to looking for sheep at knee level!

Mark, that looks like a pretty lightweight trailer. Mine sits on an axle from a Volkswagon something or other and i'd feel comfortable hauling 8 sheep on it, have before.

Denise - you haul several on yours and it's fine, right? How many did you haul from the Wilson's in it? In case she doesn't see this, i'm thinking it was 10-15 anyway.

She's hauled sheep out for us to work as well and i think my trailer is heavier duty than hers.

One thing i will say, i'd rather have a dual axle trailer. I'd feel safer hauling sheep on that.

Denise - you haul several on yours and it's fine, right? How many did you haul from the Wilson's in it? In case she doesn't see this, i'm thinking it was 10-15 anyway.

Yes, I got 12 that trip and they were pretty big but still under the weight limit for that trailer. Mine is 5X8 single axle. I wasn't wild about driving five hours with that many sheep with a single axle trailer but it went fine. Most trips with it are pretty short but I do use it fairly frequently.

She's hauled sheep out for us to work as well and i think my trailer is heavier duty than hers.
Maybe but I'm not sure about that. I had it built to my specs and it's pretty heavy duty for that sort of trailer. It has 14 inch tires.

It's definitely quick and easy and hauls very well. I like it for what I use it for and it'll do for now but I wouldn't mind having a real livestock trailer.

A little bit of real-world advice on steel trailers. Tony's right that you can expect to get 10 years of service out of a steel trailer that's stored outside and kept clean. The issue is keeping it clean.

Manure is corrosive, and you never get it all. Rust never sleeps. I would expect that if you factor in the cost of repairs and maintenance, an aluminum trailer might even be a better buy if you assumed a 10-year life on it.

I got a new 26' gooseneck aluminum last year and the difference in weight and maintenence between it and steel more than make up for the added cost in my opinion. I pull it with a 1979 F250 that I rebuilt and I can't feel it back there when it's empty. I can feel it when I get 3000 lbs in it but it's nothing compared to what a steel trailer would feel like.

Kevin

Hi Mark,

Here is a link to Tack Trader.com

http://tacktrader.com/full_search.php

I watch the "horse trailer" ads--you can determine your own search area. Sometimes there are some real good deals on here. All kinds of stock trailers come through here-from all over the country. Might be helpful??

I have been looking for and older 14-15 ft. stock trailer for quite awhile. I did purchase a trailer that is much more than I need--but the person was selling it so cheap I could not resist. It was previously used to haul camels of all things!!!

If I ever find what I am looking for I can always sell the big trailer.

Here is a pic of the "camel hauler".

PS --when I went to look at this trailer it was in the field--and the camel got in!!!!!!

:eek:

Picture%20091a.jpg

Bonnie,

Oh say, so where was this trailer when you picked up your Dorper ram and the Scottie ewe from me?

As I recall, they fit in a couple of large crates and the expression my Jeff's face when he saw us trying to load the ewe was priceless.

We DO NOT miss that Scottie, BTW.

Faye says hello and wants to know if you will be at the trial this weekend?

Diane

Bonnie

Ah gee, I will be there on Sat.....darn, Faye (fifi) will miss her sister.....we got a new pup today and Mz Spolied Rotten Faye saw the new pup approach her toys, so then Faye grabbed ALL of her toys and put them on her rug and then LAID on top of them.

Gave all of them cow toes and Faye managed to steal Rio's cow toe and added it to her pile. She is very jealous and about had a heart attack when Rio was in my lap. She thinks the lap is her personal lap too!!

Finally she calmed down and is kind to Rio. Between Shiro, Tess and Faye, we now have three prima donnas in the house....

Diane Pagel

Carnation, WA

Our first trailer was a CornPro (steel) 12' horse trailer that had the removable bars so that you could have just an open trailer inside. You can also buy trailer covers to put over it that really help protect them - think ours was around $400 - but our trailer was "like new" or close to it when we traded it in 6 or 7 years later - and it'd been out in the winter, hauled to shows, etc. Very handy for hauling hay, too.

Another option for just a few sheep now and then (probably no more than 5-10 (depending upon size) is a full-size pick-up with either stock racks or a cap. As a kid, my mom and I used to carry a large show box, hay, grain, and straw along with 5-7 Rambouillets (lambs & yearlings) in the back of one - not sure how we did it looking back, but you make do with what you have, I guess. We did the heave-ho version - lift front end up and shove the rest in, but you can always build/buy a ramp - go as "fancy" as you like/need. There are also aluminum toppers designed to haul livestock for pickups - not sure of prices on those. Good luck - be cautious with used - we saw some real pieces of junk and found that the CornPro weren't really much more than the "used" and were cheaper than equivalent trailers of other brands - but that's what we found here in IN.

Mark,

Funny that you should ask about trailers because I was just cleaning out the desk and found our title for our aluminum feather lite trailer.

It weighs 1880 lbs and is a 1985, 20 years old!!!!

It has never been housed inside and still looks like new without a speck of rust. Sometimes, it did not always cleaned out as quickly as it should have either. We got the trailer from Fischers.

I have a waiting list of at least 5 dog people (Andrea is first on the list and Lyle is second and so on) that want the trailer should my husband decide to sell it.

I can easily haul 20 sheep in it. It pulls like a dream. One nice thing about the light trailers are they are easier to hook up. Since you are aware of my driving ability (INABILITY), you know if I can haul it..... anyone can. Aluminum would also be easier for Renee to handle.

It has great ventilation, etc. etc.

I've even been tempted to use it to haul the dogs in behind my motor home.

I bet there have also been improvements in them in the last 20 years.

Prior to this trailer, we owned a couple of steel trailers....bought new and within 5 years had rust and floor problems.

Go aluminum and you will never need to replace it!

Terry