BC Boards

Where to get sheep?

Circle C

Rebecca, it sounds to me like you spend all your time critizing other people than you do doing anything else.

You might want to do some more reading (and try to absorb what you read) before throwing around insults like that.

And if i want to breed my dog, i will. There's nothing different about breeding collies and breeding border collies.

Wow. The fact that you still think this makes me believe you have not really understood anything anyone has tried to tell you thus far. Although if you're as cavalier about breeding Collies as you are about breeding Border Collies, I doubt Collie people are real crazy about you either.

I asked for info, not criticizm.

You've gotten loads and loads of information about Border Collies, what they are bred for, how to be a good breeder and not a bad one, ad nauseum. You just don't like what people have told you because they have told you that it takes effort to be a responsible Border Collie breeder. In other words, that being a good, responsible Border Collie breeder is not something that you can just get a couple of dogs and start doing tomorrow. When you said things that were misguided and irresponsible, people rightly criticized what you said. The funny thing is that this is a discussion board, and people discuss things that are posted on discussion boards. If you wanted a mute audience or a cheerleading squad, you're in the wrong place.

I'm not sure what you want from us here. If you want everyone to say they think it's OK for you to become a backyard breeder of Border Collies, it isn't going to happen. If you want to actually learn about the breed, you have to take the chip off your shoulder, take a deep breath, read and attempt to understand where people are coming from.

No one here has anything against you personally. We're not telling you anything that we wouldn't tell to someone else asking the same kinds of questions. Our goal is not to belittle you or make you feel bad -- it is to protect this breed and promote its improvement and welfare. The dogs are more important to us than your personal desires are. If you insist on pursuing your plan of becoming a backyard breeder of non-working, poor-quality Border Collies despite everything everyone has tried to tell you and despite the fact that there are way more Border Collies already than there are responsible homes (do you even care a little bit about that?), don't expect anyone to pat you on the back. If you actually care about the dogs and the breed and want to learn something and to be responsible, on the other hand, you'll get plenty of help here.

Breeding Border Collies isn't something that people should do just for kicks. If all Border Collie breeders were like you, it wouldn't be long before this breed was just as generic and useless as most other dog breeds out there.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rebecca is a very nice person and has lots of interesting, informed things to say. I simply disagree with her about this thread. I like Becca a lot. It's pretty silly to take a net attitude that she likes to be mean. She doesn't. The border collie world is a small one. We pretty much know each other or know someone who knows someone who knows someone and so on...like a small town.

It sounded to me from another thread as if Casey is starting to see sense on

breeding her border collies and will not breed them. I got that impression

anyway.

In addition, she knows horses well enough to tell somebody that both the

horses and the dogs could get hurt.

I thought in this thread she made an honest statement of intent: she is not

planning on raising sheep solely for the sake of doing so, and she only

wants to have them to train her dog. That's what she said at the beginning

of this thread.

That is a much better attitude than someone who will only take a few lessons

a month, if that many, inbetween agility trials; never commit to training

the dogs sufficiently to get sheep and seriously train; and then breed the

dogs anyway because her dogs circle some and walk up some and maybe get

through a novice course or started or even advanced ASCA or AKC or AHBA course.

However, I think Casey should heed Becca's cautious attitude about breeding dogs (it's the only way to go) and acknowledge the wisdom of her admonition about being respectful of livestock. With regard to this latter, I figure Casey is already there. With regard to the former, she needs to make that jump and not consider breeding her dogs for a good many years. It will take her at least that long to learn to train and evaluate her dogs. It sounded to me as if she has almost reached that understanding.

Penny

Interesting.

Not to mention that it's completely disingenuous to pretend that you're only thinking about breeding Border Collies when on another thread you've stated that you don't sell puppies to pet homes.

http://bordercollie.heatherweb.com/cgi-bin...7108;p=1#000021

Oh, my word. This thread is now reminding me of that unfortunate, learning disabled teen-ager from Canada with the multiple net personas. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if it is that child on a different computer with a different server...maybe away at school and working a bit on her spelling.

Penny

b/c she lives 3 hrs away. She doesnt have a computer or internet and I told her she Had to look at this site. its terrible. and she agreed. I thought maybe asking ppl on this site would be more fun. and it was. most of these ppl are completely rude and i must discourage anyone from joining it.

I suppose I would be completely rude to suggest that someone who feels like Casey does about this site, might be happier removing him/herself from it.

This is one of only two really good boards I know of on the internet concerning the working Border Collie. A person who only wants people to agree with them; give them information when they can't be bothered searching it out on their own; and gets critical and defensive any time someone expresses an opinion different than their own, probably won't be happy here.

Some folks just can't handle honest, true replies to their questions from experienced Border Collie owners and stockmen/women.

The thing that bothers me is that the person I have heard the most criticizm from I've heard is the most "challenged" handler in their area. So, it sounds like the person likes to talk about what he/she doesn't know. That bothers me. And no, I dont mind when people don't agree with me, but they need to disagree with me with less "attitude." I'm easily offended.

Wow! Sounds like you are talking about me! I am definitely a challenged handler and pretty inept. I guess I do fit the description.

As for being easily offended, if one goes looking for offense, one will surely find it. If one asks for advice, you can take it for what it's worth to you. But, it might be worth a lot more than you think it is.

So far, the only advice you seem to find reasonable is that which agrees with you and what you want to do. Anything that doesn't encourage you to jump in and do just what you want to do, is criticism to you.

If you have so many acquaintances/friends in the working Border Collie world that you can be judgemental about a handler who has posted here, maybe you need to go to them to get your questions answered. That way, you can avoid all our complete rudeness.

My opinions, based only on your posts here. I hope you choose to stay, read, listen, and learn, and not pick fights with people who are taking the time to try and help you.

So much for setting a good example.

The questions you asked here relate to sheep husbandry. You haven't asked any questions about handling. Odd that you think one must be an "unchallenged" handler to know about keeping sheep. Or that someone must be an "unchallenged" handler to recognize dishonest posting.

Interesting, too, that you were able to "hear" that someone was a challenged handler without even knowing whether "he/she" was a he or a she. But somehow I think in your next post (there IS going to be a next post, isn't there, despite how terrible it is here and how offended you are?) "he/she" is going to turn out to be a she.

The sig lines are there, it's unclear to me why anyone would not know whether they having an exchange with a male or female.

So, I'll take the bait, just because Eileen wants to see the next post from this person:

Yup, I'm challenged. If the glove fits . . .I've mentioned many times that I have a learning disorder that means, among other things, that I don't know my right from my left. Therefore, knowing it was going to take a LONG time to get my young bitch up to Open (if she made it under normal circumstances), I spayed her. I just sold my Open dog to someone who I think could better showcase his talents, because (among other things) I'd like a pup from him someday and I know I won't be a competant judge of breedworthiness until that distant day when I'm a competant Open handler and trainer.

I'm a Phi Beta Kappa member and was a concert pianist. I know two classical languages and three modern. My art has won national awards. I've been published on numerous occasions. These things are easy to me - there's no challenge. Handling sheepdogs is what I've chosen as a pastime, I don't know why, call me stubborn.

If someone thinks being challenged makes someone else unqualified in a field, then that's too bad for them. Tell that to the blind guy that climbed Mt Everest. :rolleyes:

Damn, I wish I had been one of the people who ruined the site for Casey/Curry. She suckered me this time.

I do think Casey/Curry is likely to be Laura/Lauren/Brildwn, etc. There can't be more than one of them with border collies. There just can't. Usenet rec-pets-dogs-breeds would fit her to a tee. She'd be happy there and fit right in.

Penny

Usenet rec-pets-dogs-breeds would fit her to a tee. She'd be happy there and fit right in.

Hey now. I happen to be a Usenet junkie and don't think that's a very fair assessment. Most of the r.p.d readers are pretty passionate about responsible breeding, so I can't say they'd be big fans of Casey/Currey.

I thought you gave Usenet up for Lent last year.

I am thinking of the Puppy Wizard and some of the people with Aussies and agility dogs who know all about herding. Usenet is just the place for Casey, etc., who will be encouraged there for being so broadminded while at the same time seeking information. Pause and reflect on the possibilities of this suggestion.

Penny

I don't think it was a complete waste of time. It only takes a few seconds for me to write volumes (unfortunately for y'all :rolleyes: ) and I always think of the people "out there" who are reading and learning - I hope, anyway..

None of you were wasting your time, I did learn a lot from this thread. Although I am still months off my first lessons and years away from ever thinking about getting sheep. I am researching like crazy and enjoy any new things I learn. I admire the fact that time after time you respond to people's questions however silly. I have seen this on this thread and other threads. People coming on the board and not taking very good advice. I am not sure I would have the patience to keep trying to get others to understand, but am happy to know some people. do. Anyhow keep up the good work!! :rolleyes: