BC Boards

I need advice on Katahdins

Bounce

I'm going to look at some sheep tonight. They are registered coloured Katahdins. An older ram and 5 ewes, in lamb and nursing twins. The guy wants meat price which isn't much these days.

Is there any thing I should know? Are they docile or psycho? I will check their feet, teeth and hair and the seller has health records. I don't care about the papers but I guess that is a plus.

Katahdins are light sheep to work and there is variation in how light based upon individual personalities. They are generally hardy and good mothers. Other than the typical things to look for, we also look to see how they shed out. Some don't shed clean and must be clipped. Of course you won't be able to tell that now. They are not generally as docile as wool sheep when flipped over.

Mark

I came home with an empty truck. This is the first time I've seen hair sheep up close.I liked them but they were so tame and friendly, they were like dogs. They came when called and rubbed their heads on me to be petted. They were really inbred -daughters and granddaughters back to the same ram. There aren't many Katahdins around here so having papered stock isn't much good if theres no market for them. I'd forgotten how cute baby lambs were but theres no work for my dogs with these sheep. I still might go back and get a coloured ewe that I fancied but I think I prefer a woolier sheep.Thanks for your help.