BC Boards

Nursery Question

I've got a pup that is not registered (dam not registered though known pedigree). Chances are rather remote that we'll aim for nursery with him, however, you never know what will happen. His birthdate is March 06.

How would this work if we DID start running him in nursery? Can I have the breeder sign a statement about his birthdate - or get papers with some off-brand registry (bleah)?

Again, it's not a huge issue for us, but as he and his littermates have gotten off to a nice start working, it's nice to know what all our options might be. Yes, I'm a dreamer, so shoot me. :rolleyes:

My Tess was not registered. She ran in the 2001 Nursery. This was beforer she got her ROM.

What I did:

got bill of sale from breeder (with DOB, parents info, etc)

got letter from vet that he saw her at 14 weeks old (as soon as I got her)

got handlers/trainers attest via letter or other means on how old she was when they saw

got a copy of the ad

Put this with any supporting documents and sent it to Francis. Not a problem

Diane

Ok, so what do you do if you buy (rescue) a non-papered Border Collie from John Q. Public who can't remember the name of the breeder or what town he got the dog from? The dog is 9 months old but you have no papers, no breeder name, nothing other than this individual telling you that the dog is nine months old?

From what I understand from the USBCHA rules, the dog doesn't have to be registered, doesn't even have to be a Border Collie to run at the finals but how do you supply proof of date of birth to establish the dog is of qualified Nursery age? I could be totally wrong (and may have had too much egg nog) but from what I could tell from the USBCHA site, this seems to be the case.

I like to think that all of us have integrity that we would not lie about the age of a non-registered dog whose age could not be verified, but am wondering how the National Finals' powers that be would handle something like this.

Thanks,

Donna

I didn't think about the vet. I've got that info. Err, somewhere. I think I will get him microchipped - I missed the tatoo clinic.

Mayflower.

Also not a USBCHA board member, but my sense is that if your dog's birthdate fell close the cutoff date of July 1, you would probably need to have better documentation than if it fell in January, for instance.

Speaking for myself, if the birthdate were well away from the magic date, I would probably be willing to accept a veterinarian's statement that the dog was "about nine months old" when you got it. But if it were close to the cutoff and you were wanting to run in the dog's second year, I'd be concerned about the fuzziness of the dog's age.

Thanks everyone for your input! I appreciate it.

Odds are with this particular dog I won't have to worry about any of this (short story, previous owner was not too educated about Border Collies and used a shock collar on her when she started harassing his horses), but I have thought of this situation before and have always been curious how the USBCHA handles it.

Diane and Bill's suggestion of a statement from the vet stating approximate age is a good one. I do need to take her in for shots anyhow, so will speak to the vet about this. She is about 10 months old now, so is only a one year Nursery dog.

Bill's statements was pretty much my thinking, that you'd have to prove things to a greater extent if the dog was a 2 year Nursery dog versus a 1 year.

Thanks everyone!

Donna