BC Boards

VA State Fair

Weather Underground says pretty much the same thing. 50% chance of light rain through the a.m. hours on Saturday, dropping to a 30% chance in the aftgernoon. Partly cloudy and warmer on Sunday.

I don't mind the rain so much as it would be easier on the sheep and dogs, but as I was planning to sleep in the van, rain could make things a real mess! Bleh!

J.

Hey, sheep like it better cool and unwindy, rain they can take okay if it's easy rain. Sheep happy, I'm happy. If it was like today, I'd whine about that. So would they if they could. Just makes me plan different (more clothes for changing, towels, tents, the like.)

And Deb, those guys are wrong a lot of the times...I can't remember the last yucky weather Montpelier! Anybody remember the Celtic Festival in Richmond in October years ago when it rained hard for both days and was about 50 degrees? Tom Forrester had just gotten Bud, he was tied under a stock trailer, better off than we were, just about the worst weather at a trial I ever enjoyed, to that point.

Then I went to Longshot! (where weather is sideways).

I love it all for the memories. HA HA!!

The last really bad one I remember was Dean Holcomb's last (I think) trial in Farmington, maybe two years ago. It was November and it rained hard all weekend. I was tent camping, and I had a big tarp covering much of the tent, making it tough to get in and out but at least preventing the bulk of my stuff from being soaked. I, however, was drenched for the entire time, as were most people. Rain suits weren't much help. Numerous people took pity on me, offering showers and time in dry campers. NOT in the least fun!

The trials at the Celtic festival were before my time, so I don't have the "pleasure" of remembering them.

J.

Not the last year for the FAIR, hopefully not the SDT either, just the location (possibly). I wanted to also add that the new location will likely be FABULOUS, with space for a real trial field, maybe incuding one with the Celtic Festival/Highland Games as well. Tom wants to hear bagpipes again when he runs his dogs. The new location is on property that was once The Meadow farm, home to Secretariat and a bunch of other notable race horses (First Landing and Riva Ridge). Just a couple miles off I-95 at Doswell, also real close to me (yay).

We Expect to see Miss Asten there next year.

Let's see - Sylvia King with Vic won Novice in a run-off (what wonderful, well-controlled runs she had with him). Sam Furman (the Bungee Jump, or whatever it's called, Queen) won Open (sorry that I got that wrong the first try, Sam). I am just drawing a huge blank on who won ProNov and Ranch and don't have my running order here to jog my memory.

The sheep were very consistent and, considering the small arena, not terribly flighty. Each packet was three sheep and singling did not come easy, even with it being "handler's choice".

With the pen moved away from the exhaust (and no Maltese Cross this year, thank goodness), many folks got their pen as long as the dog wasn't pushy.

Carol Calhoun did a nice job of judging. Karen Lacy, as Superintendant, had the trial well-organized and smooth-running. Tom Lacy and his helpers had everything set up neatly well before the 10 am start. Deb Crowder and her crew managed the set-out pen with their calm and quiet handling style. Karen Lacy, Randy Mumford, and Anne Devine helped with putting the sheep in the set-out (and I'm sure I'm leaving someone out here who deserves a "Thank you"). Of course, there were many others like the Trial Secretary (whose name always escapes me and I am SO embarrassed, but I hope she'll forgive me) and Clair Devine, who helped scribe, who contributed to an enjoyable day at the Fair.

We missed seeing a number of regulars and favorites this year but all enjoyed nice handling by Sam Furman and Robin French from the boards, Tom Forrester and Pete (2006 National Cattledog Nursery Champion), Tom Lacy with Peg and Megan, and other good handlers and dogs.

I will brag on Celt - although I felt most out-of-control of my dog for much of his run, he pleased me tremendously at the pen. I am always the coward and, when the sheep go past the gate, opt for the easy way of sending my dog back around the pen to bring the sheep. This time, I risked his sensitivity to pressure (we were close to the fence), and sent him on the off-balance away flank and around the sheep, to bring them back to the opening, where he flanked and downed nicely, and they walked in (not perfectly - one stopped to give a glance back as Celt was probably a bit close, which is a common fault for us).

I've never had the courage or confidence to do this but I gave it a try, he did a wonderful job, and I am just so pleased with him. Now I do need to work on making it a partnership during the run, rather than him thinking he needs to make all the decisions because I am not capable (and he might be right).

All in all, it was a lovely day and the weather held off with the rain and cold just long enough to make running (and spectating) conditions almost perfect!

At least I was discrete enough to not mention the wedgie - the right (wrong?) picture and it might have gone down in infamy with other "top of the field" shockers like the Giant Lizard!

It's too bad I was busy loading up my dogs, etc., to not be there and watch you in person. Now, is Robin going to post any pictures, even wedgie-free ones?