BC Boards

excercise ideas

hi, I'm new well, I live in an area with a lot of hills and things so it's really slow moving walking my dog and nowhere to take her swimming or anything so does anyone have any other ideas for excerise? I'm working on building up my endurance but i can't run very far with her pulling on the leash trying to go faster you know? She does agility and loves fetch but she needs something else to do sometimes. We do a lot of training but she loses her focus after 10-15 minutes so we have to take a break so she can run. She's 3 years old btw and as bcs come not really high strung or energetic but she's got more "go" than most dogs.

You could try running her on your bike? but be careful about it, you have to teach them!! or bad things can happen

SO's family dog has learned to bark uncontralably at every bike she sees now... but she's a special dog

nes.

Rally-O? There's a great new book out that I just got called Click Your Way to Rally Obedience. I guess that's more training and not really exercise...

Do you have an old soccer ball or one of those jolly balls or a beach ball? My dogs LOVE soccer. I kick, they chase and pounce. Very cute.

Does she like tug? That can be good exercise. I can even read and tug at the same time.

Another dog? A play date can really wear a dog out, especially if the other dog is the same level of energy. Any dog parks nearby?

A rousing game of "go find the..." if she knows the names of her toys... hide her stuff all over the house and tell her find the toys one at a time. If you have another person there, you can teach her your names and have her deliver messages for you...

I'm sure others will have ideas, too.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

Ooh! That was good... going with you on your bike is good... you can also try carting (dog pulls a cart--guess I did not really need to explain that one...), canicross (you jogging or hiking, dog pulling you up hills, etc.), and scootering (dog pulls you while you are on a scooter). Or dog sledding, if you are in an area that gets decent amounts of snow.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

Have you tried frizbee? Gonzo will play Frizbee for over an hour, and he will still want to go. ;0)

A good conditioning exercise is running them up-hill. Toss her ball up-hill so she will have to work twice as hard to get it each time.

If she does like tugging, you could also set up a flirt pole to play with. That tires out my pups REALLY fast!

Ruger goes nuts when I spray him with the hose. He can't get enough of it and that's where the problem lies. When nobody is in the yard with him he plays with the hose by himself. He wraps it around the bird feeder so tight it takes about 5 minutes to untangle the mess. He chews holes in it and will chew the ends off. I have to take the hose out of the yard now when I am finished with it.

Melody - What is a hose ban and why? Just wondering. If it has to do with using too much water, how about a sprinkler on a low setting?

We set up an oscillating sprinkler in hot weather. The dogs play and jump at the water, stay cool, and just have a good and active time. It's not an overly "active" sprinkler (it's a RainBird that oscillates back and forth and also has an up-and-down pattern - the dogs love it), we have the water pressure low, and things stay very much under control.

I use a Chuck-It ball-throwing toy (and replace the tennis-type ball with a smooth ball) and get out early and late in the day to get 10-15 good throws in, plus a trip or two during the day for just 3-5 throws if it's hot (I am careful to watch the dogs and the weather - no throws if it's too hot during the day).

Any opportunity for water sports is wonderful for summer exercise with reduced risk of overheating. Do be very careful with biking or blading - your dog may experience heat problems before you do.

If you run, bike, or blade, using a Gentle Leader, Halti, or Sensation (no pull) harness can be very helpful to avoid pulling.

Best wishes!