BC Boards

Share motel room at Lacy's this Sat?

Sue R

I would like to take a motel room on Saturday night during Lacy's trial this coming weekend, but would like to share the cost with someone.

If anyone would like to share, please let me know and I will make the reservation (I'll try the Microtel first, and go from there).

Yep, it's race weekend in Richmond. Life as we know it turns to NASCAR, but it truly should not affect anything but motels around town. A bunch of us girls (and Randy) went out to the farm today, and this is going to be one fun trial. Karen is having non-compete runs after the regular classes, the field looks great, the pen situation (all I care about) looks great, Tom and Karen have really got it going!

I was looking forward to coming to the trial too! Had to cancel because of the awful hurricane which directly affects my job - I'm working mandatory 12 hour days, no days off. I'm hoping I'll be able to make Montpelier...or any other trial this year.

Tell Tom that alot of people are very appreciative that they are putting on this trial. I wanted to get my doggies tatooed. Maybe next year....

Deb P!!

I will tell him/her, I think they really look forward to doing this, and yeah, the timing is looking bad with gas prices, availability, and crisis in the Gulf states and how it affects so many. I hope you can get back to normal soon!

Want to hear my camper story? You know the first part too!

Okay, so the original deal fell through, and that's always what I like to call a "sign", that it wasn't meant to be for some good reason, and someone suggested I look on ebay. (Hmmm) And I did, and having NEVER done anything on ebay before, I really got my feet wet and looked under RV's, lowest price first. I started to bid on this thing for $200 dollars, and next thing I know, it's mine (for $300). It's a '75 Starcraft Pop-Up (did you know there are Pop-Up clubs?) that won't open. So, next to worrying that Jimmy Hoffa is in there ('75), I convince my really handy husband to go with me to DELAWARE (after I made him go to DMV all morning Aug. 31 to register it) and pick it up. We do, and all the way up, I'm fighting off divorce talk again (last divorce talk was over sheep he spoils now), and we arrive at this junkyard with all these wrecked cars and boats and campers (still some up there folks!) and find ***Mine!***. We go to a place to buy two new tires ($90), a lighting kit ($23.99), and exactly 12 hours after we left home, we get back with ***MY*** camper. He gets it open with the help of his dad and brother while I'm slaving away at work the next day (no fair)(and no Jimmy Hoffa, thank Heavens)and all it needs is some new canvas (quote-$780).

The next day, the guy in DE emails me that I picked up the wrong one.

I replied, no, it's ***Mine***. I paid for it, I registered it, I got it new tires. He apparently got them mixed up in his head and I believe his missing '83 piece of junk got stolen, but I hauled home my '75 Starcraft Starmaster 8, VIN# same as the title I registered. End of story there.

SO! I will probably be at the next few trials, if Tim doesn't lose interest in getting the up/down stuff fixed, in a smelly, gorgeous Pop-Up camper with my dogs. I'll try to park at the top, with the sheep. Hope they don't mind the smell, they shouldn't. I never mind theirs.

Oh Debbie, what a great story! Too bad you'll camp at the top, or I could put my little oldster right next to yours! I think we were the last two hold outs in VA/NC when it comes to camping in something other than tent or truck/van.

Deb P,

I haven't contacted you because I figured you were some kinda busy working for FEMA as you do. I hope they don't overburden you guys--I can't imagine what a nightmare it must be to deal with that tragedy.

Debbie C.,

Please tell Tom and Karen that if I hadn't been leaving for Sturgis, I would definitely have been there, and since I don't expect to go to Oregon the next two years, they can count on me at their next variety day (I told Tom this at Roy's, but he may not have passed it on to Karen). If most people are like me, they'll probably come on despite the gas. I mean I was sitting here thinking "what if I get halfway to the middle of nowhere and then can't find gas?" But I thought I'd wait through the weekend before making inquiries about gas availability out Sturgis way. I'm assuming gas can be had (especially since I assume the midwest and west receive their fuel by other means), but I wonder how much MORE the trip is going to cost me now?

I hope to see both of you at Montpelier (sans camper for me since I won't have it yet)--I'll still be the poor slob in the tent. One bright note, though--I'm betting that once I am no longer camping in a leaky tent, we'll have a run of trials with NO BAD WEATHER! :rolleyes:

J.

Hey, bring some Febreze and you can stay with me. I think I'll have it going by then, but probably with a tarp over one end (replacement canvas too expensive for now).

The gas thing...I have faith that this mess will sort out for us, gas-wise, unlike the almost hopeless situation in the area hard hit by Katrina. It is affecting me cost-wise, which is why I opted to drop those few hundreds into the camper. I used to go home when I could (2-4 hour drives), not a good choice now, especially when the hotel option would cost as much as the gas to go home, neither of which I readily have. This thing pulls like nothing, did not seem to affect my gas consumption getting back, and I'm a weenie about tent camping, maybe because I'm getting older and sheep work can poop me out so much. I don't envy you the worries hauling to SD, but I think you'll be fine, and what an adventure!

Have a good run, (46th!) and enjoy it. I want to encourage Tom and Karen to have regular novice events and the Open trials he wants too.

Julie - the little Shasta is waiting for you. I finally got the title on it in my name so I can transfer it to you. I told Andre that he's now in charge of getting the new tires and bearings done before you pick it up, since I'll be working alot for the next few months.

Debbie - Glad you found you're own special camper. We took our camper on its maiden voyage last weekend. I bought RVing for Idiots to help with the many questions we had.

We put crates in one end for the dogs - taking out one of the bunks like the previous owner had done for her dog/crate setup. It was just so nice to stay at the trial field and not have to worry about going back and forth to a hotel.

Debbie C.,

Now wouldn't it be something if I stayed 46 after the first round? That would suit me just fine! Hey, a girl can dream, can't she?

As for the Febreze, I am actually extremely sensitive to perfumes of any sort (to the point of getting headaches, nausea, etc.), so Febreze ain't in the cards for me, unfortunately.

I won't get the Shasta until Susan's Halloween trial--just couldn't see making a special trip (given time and gas $$ involved to go get it), so I'm having to be patient. And it means I'll be the one poor fool camping out in Sturgis in my trusty old tent. At any rate, I don't think I'd want my maiden camper voyage to be 1800 miles across the country--I think I'd like to start a little closer to home. I can just see myself getting stuck in East St. Louis like Sam and Robin did, waiting on camper repairs, and I have no wish to have that happen to me!

Deb P,

Just let me know the cost of the tires and bearing packing. I won't have time to check into transferring the title and what I need to move the camper down here until after I get back from Sturgis. But since I'll have a month between then and Halloween, I ought to manage to get that stuff figured out (one would hope, anyway).

J.

Aww are you all going to the Lacy's? A special place since it is the birth place of the most wonderful pup in the world... LADDIE!!!!

Sue! You are going to be published. Email me and I'll give you the details. There is a book called Border Collie Champions that was looking for pictures. I think just about anyone who wants to send pictures in will get their dogs in but I sent in a couple of the ones you took of Pleat and Scott in Ireland and they said they were putting them in the book since he was the USBCHA champion.

Jenny Glen

And also the birthplace (well, sort of) my marvelous Celt!

Yahoo! Published! Now that means I will have to buy a book glorifying everyone else and their dogs.

I am just glad to be able to share the pix with you and Scott. I had fun taking them and was tickled that my little point and shoot was able to do as nice a job as it did, although my sense of timing needs some work. Or maybe I should say that my camera's sense of timing needs the work - I haven't yet figured out why there is a delay sometimes between when I push the button and the camera takes the picture. Maybe I should reread the manual?

Maria - What a nice offer! I am staying with Debbie Crowder but maybe someone else will be able to visit with you. Will we get to "meet and greet" you this Saturday at Karen's?

I was thrilled to see the Lacy's on here. The original home of our wonderful Maggie Mae BC! My daughter's dog - and she had the nerve to take her with her when she graduated from college! :rolleyes:

I may keep my eyes opened for next year and go as a spectator!!

Okay, Sue Rayburn says "Where in WV are you", she's in North central WV, a huge thank you to me, Debbie Crowder, for being so kind and hospitable this weekend, and I say, hey, thanks for helping me pick up poop this morning at 6:30 am this morning in the horse pasture before we went to Lacy's, (where Sue got 1st in N/N with Celt today and I got good and dirty), thanks to Tom for buying us chimichangas afterwards and to Karen for the evening entertainment. More fun tomorrow!

WHoever you are, you better come next year! Sue says...

She was trying to use my computer at work and it wouldn't work for her. Kind of like trying to work somebody else's BC!

Where in WV am I?? I'm in Charleston! :D And if Sue's anywhere in North Central/WV.. I've worked in Clarksburg/Bridgeport and travel back and forth for business and friends!

I'd love to see Karen, Tom and all the BCs! I'm getting that 'add another BC to the pack' itch since my daughter took Maggie (One of Karen Lacy's) when she moved! I've been lurking on the rescue boards... God help me!! :rolleyes:

Marie - Wonderful to meet you there. I wish we'd had more time to talk and I wish I hadn't been so tired and spacey. PM if you would like. I still think Sam would be a great resource for you.

Momzilla - I'm about a half-hour east of Morgantown. We'll need to start a WV branch of VBCA.

And Debbie's hospitality was ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS, although I can't recommend her to anybody else because I want to be able to stay with her next time I can and don't want to have to fight anyone for the right! Well, that is if she will have me.

And, a HUGE THANKS to Debbie for letting me help in the set-out pen. Karen has a great arrangement (Priefert handling chutes, etc., very nice to work with) and Debbie let me help her and, while she did some non-competes, Celt and I got to work the pen by OURSELVES! I didn't know it could be so much FUN!

Debbie is the Pen Goddess (not just a Pen Queen). I'd like to be the Pen Lady-in-Waiting, when I am able.

What a great weekend! The Lacys put on a very nice and enjoyable trial, frisbee training, agility training, and just plain Border Collie fun (including a dog day in the pool).

Hey, Miss Lady-in-waiting! I was just scanning the boards and up you pop! You must have gotten home okay, I felt guilty lounging at home whilst you drove 6 hours. Now you can feel guilty, I'm back at work! The two old dogs blew up, as I figured they would (remember them?) Cleaned it up and came to check emails. Did all the stalls, both barns, next stop, CB for Mama's Pancake Breakfast!

I had a blast this weekend. Met some great new friends (hi Maria! glad you came anyway), got to say hey to the old ones, got to bring Eve, worked Beryl to show Ray how his pup got her good looks and great moves, fell down on the course yesterday twice and had people thinking I was drunk or having a stroke or something, worked with my new protege, Sue. I really enjoyed the laid back atmosphere, and all the non-compete runs at the end to work out the kinks Tom looked like he hadn't had so much fun in ages, and got to see Barry again. Joan, I don't know who won!! Seems like we all did...

We were thinking of putting on a judging clinic with Tom, kind of to help new folks get a feel for the rules and criteria of judging runs, hopefully this fall sometime, have the clinic one day and then the next day, have non-competitive runs where we can work our dogs and judge each other with his help. A great way to learn about trialing and I would think an excellent opportunity even for people who haven't gotten their dogs to sheep yet.

It was fun!

...fell down on the course yesterday twice and had people thinking I was drunk or having a stroke or something...
Debbie, we all sat there and said, "Would you look at that, Debbie fell down! Hope she's okay." And kept sitting there, figuring we would wait and see if it was anything serious. It wasn't, glad to say.

It was so nice for Karen and Tom to provide more than just a trial - microchipping, tattooing, BAER hearing clinic, CEA DNA clinic, etc. It was a terrific opportunity for folks to get things done for their dogs.

My only regret was that there wasn't an Open class to show the rest of us how it's done - maybe next year! Best wishes to all those who are at the Finals this month!

And, Debbie, the pen work was MY highlight of the weekend - I had no idea how much fun and how educational it could be. My thanks to YOU!