BC Boards

Props to Sue and Celt!

lrayburn

Hey guys, not to brag on my mom or anything but... Sue and Celt took first place in the Beginner Arena Goats class at the Possum Hollow Trial in Rutherfordton, NC on Saturday! Celt had a rather tough old nanny in his Novice/Novice Field Goats and he timed out trying to get her off the fence but he had a great outrun and lift. So congratulations to Sue and Celt!

Thank you all very much! I was absolutely thrilled with Celt doing as nicely as he did on a variety of stock he had never seen before.

The field class presented quite a challenge with a rather belligerent goat in our group of three. Celt hung in there and did his best but this older girl was clever and dog-wise!

I sure didn't know what to do! We were gaining control on her (I felt) when we timed out. He was a good and biddable boy, showing some stress at times but doing his best and I couldn't have been happier with him.

The Beginner's class (in an arena) was composed of much easier working kids. There were some nice teams doing a good job (one little boy and his wonderful and patient dog were the sentimental favorites, and we all clapped wildly for him), and some AKC-type teams that had varying levels of herding interest/instinct.

All in all, a fun day and a blue ribbon to take home! But, most important, I was simply pleased with Celt no matter how we did. I was just as happy with him (maybe more) in the more challenging class when he didn't give up but kept trying to figure out how to deal with that big goat (finishing last, minus RTs and DQs), than in the Beginner class where the stock was easy and he was second and then first in the two runs (winning the combined).

Congratulations Sue and Celt! Don't belittle your win in the arena on kids--it's still an accomplishment. And wily old goats can be tough for the best/most experienced of dogs. Be proud of yourself! (Oh, and we'll soon have you hooked on trialling despite your best intentions....).

J.

Well, anytime I manage to do something that my child is proud of, is a really special moment for me!

And, I guess it's out of the bag, that lrayburn on the boards is Sue and Ed's daughter! So, I guess we can no longer compliment each other without anyone knowing we have a connection.

Plus, now you all will know that I have an ACD grand-doggie, Cousin Nellie to my Celt and Megan. Nellie has no interest in sheep so far but has "helped" out moving cattle with my pack.