BC Boards

WooHoo for Jody

What a great way to end my day! After a long day at work I got home just before dark and rushed out to work one of my dogs; I chose Jody (9 mo old). Didn't bother to sort down to a smaller group since there was no time and it took some time to get them back to where I wanted to work (lower field by the drive for those who have been to our place). After a bit of balance work and wearing I decided to see what she'd do; well she was doing 30 yd outruns from my feet! I know it's not far, yet, but it's a start. Best still they were esentially correct in shape! I can't wait to get home tonight.

I just had to share, sorry.

Mark

Is "Crap" a new dog? :rolleyes:

Just curious what you guys look for in training before you know when to start sending a dog on an outrun? My dog doesn't have the correct shape yet when sent from anywhere other than close.

Mark, congrats on your pup's progress!

Thanks,

Laura

Up until yesterday I've been laying Jody down and going between her and the sheep before sending less than 30 yards. I've been working hard on her lying down when told and calling off the sheep when told; I used these to move the sheep to where I wanted to work her. We would walk towards the sheep, they would start to move (way before we were close), I would lie her down allowing the sheep to move. One of these moves she started to run towards them (as they ran off) on a long wide arc; I wasn't in position to make sure things went the way I wanted so I called her off. This was my cue to try some outruns from my feet.

Mark

Ok ok, I couldn't stand it anymore! Had to join the boards to add my 2 cents...

Yahoo for Jody! I must say, having seen her work last weekend I'm not surprised. She's goin places.

Worked her sister Brook in a big field this week, she is coming along fine (although getting harder to pull off the sheep - that's a good thing for her!)

Hey Sam, did I see you have a new dog named Crap? It will be "Roses" before too long. hehe

I must say Robin, my vocabulary has become quite colorful reading these boards! Had any margaritas lately? Can't wait for Fosterfields next year!

Hi Sue - hope you're having a fine time in NC,hope its warmer there then here in PA, burr. Feel free to pick on me at any time, plenty of fuel for the fire, especially after this past weekend! Lord help me.

I've been reading the boards and laughing for quite some time, and finally couldn't stand it. Had to join in the fun. Although I do this on my work id (shhh). Can't have too much fun at work, huh Mark. Oh, he's gone by now, won't get this til Monday.

Have a good weekend all!

Sue, Missy, Sadie, Duff, Glen, Katy and miss Brook

Sue,

I assume Gene told you I was planning the handlers supper for Fosterfields? I am now the non-alcohol related Sam...strictly a teeeeeeetotalllller.

Just got done working all the dogs...Got the short bus into at least first gear. My new dog Crap will go an infinate distance, has no stop but is quite sharp! Damn those commas anyway. AGAIN I say, product of my public school edumacation.

Hey Wobin, dont use Fred's name in vain..I will sick Joanie on ya. I let him bite Robbie today, just cause he is doing so much better! (Robbie that is...)

So Sue, how is the ummm trade going down under? Mexico wasnt it? bahahhahahaha

Oh nice Samanatha!

ok girls, remind me to put duck tape on my mouth the next time we are enjoying beverages of choice...hmmm. No more shooters. ha!

Mark inspired me to take Brook out and work the big group as the sun faded today. No outrun on this girl yet, but some nice square flanks. Even managed to ignore the thistle underfoot. Damn thistle. Man I forgot what's its like to work a young dog, its like going from using a toolbox to a hammer. Sheesh.

Bye yall.

S

Sam --

Hey! I went to public school!

You're planning the handlers' dinner for Fosterfields next year? Makes me sorry I'm not going to be there. I am graduating in May and leaving this popsicle stand... maybe I'll have to plan a road trip back just for that trial.

If there is a short bus, Solo should get to drive it. By running straight up the middle of the field at his first trial, after almost four years of training, he has earned the privilege. And, he likes to drive.