BC Boards

IM FIRST!!!

tucknjill

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andrea,

It has become clear that your entry in the trial was exceptionally intimidating to all other Kelpies...as you have the only entry in the Kelpie class. The trial is now full - the Our Dog Blue (wine) is chilling, the firewood is stacked and ready for the evening fires, and coolers are ready for ice and libations. Hmmm, is there anything else need for a sheep dog trial?

Craig

Sorry I'm so dense, but, well, I am dense. Or my sense of humor is too poorly developed to detect an instance of your rapier wit.

Why would somebody do that? Does the dog have a cold? Did this actually happen? Perhaps in some bizarro universe?

charlie torre

You mean people are worried the dog will stop and sniff about during a run? Or that males will be distracted by females in heat?

If so, that's a shame. And kind of sad & pathetic.

I've not been around THAT much, but I've certainly never heard of this practice.

Soon we'll have to have random drug tests (or nose tests, as the case may be).

May the best dog win.

charlie

On a related note... Do people think that when a dog is out searching for sheep on an outrun (which happens a lot out here with BIG outruns on varied terrain) that the dog uses its sense of smell to help them find the sheep? I always assumed they did. But maybe it's not a big factor. But, if so, wouldn't the nose-treatment business interfere with that?

charlie

I always assumed a dog would jump over a two foot stack of steaks and a tethered bitch in heat on his way out to get sheep and have never seen anything to disabuse me of this conceit, and I've had plenty of males.

However, I did have one male stop to breed the set out bitch, who turned out to be in flaming heat. Duh. Anyway, he came around, lifted, got a whiff, swung a leg over and then noticed the sheep were heading downfield, swung his leg back off and raced down the field to head them before they got to the barn. This was at Hop Bottom, where they head downfield plenty fast, but he got there.

A.

I have often thought of using it on Tucker when he is whining his butt off for three weeks in the crate when I have a bitch in heat...I dunno, I just never did it. I hate using any chemicals on them at all and It just kinda bugged me..wouldnt want that on MY nose. Anyway, he knows he BETTER not think about any bitch in heat while working and with one notable exception..never has...so was this an issue at a trial craig?

I first heard of the practice a month or so ago when a novice handler's dog sniffed the set out dog and an Open handler told her she should put Vicks up his nose before a trial. The novice handler figured it might be a better solution to train her dog not to such things at the top - yeah for the integrity of some folks!

Then this weekend I actually saw it being done. It would seem if you could put things up a dogs nose you should be able to put any "special" collar on a dog, or maybe a collar with an amplified speaker on it as it appears my dog can't hear me!

I just don't know how prevalent this practice is - and has the USBCHA ever addressed it?

I was always getting so mad at my Bob dog that I almost used it but never did. It wasn't that he'd stop on an outrun to sniff or pee but once he picked up sheep from a bitch that was in flaming heat and he went up on his tippy toes and put his tail in the air until my screaming penetrated his hormones and he went on with his work. Most of the time when the bitches are in heat he just isn't at his best. When he's waiting to run his nose is on the ground and I have a horrible time getting him to spot sheep. My solution was to neuter him. I wasn't going to breed him anyway and the fact that he was more into smells than his work cemented my feelings that he didn't need to reproduce. That strikes me as funny tho. The only dogs that I think should be reproducing are the ones who don't have an interest in it. (of course there is a time for work and a time for play) I'd like to say that Bob won the National Finals after he was neutered, but sadly it didn't help that much! However, Jo Woodbury neutered her dog for the same reason and he did get in the top 20 this year.

Jenny

Steve is working thanksgiving thurs so we can just drive to Craig's Fri morning as I dont think he is starting till Noon on the Friday...Just come on whenever..what day/time will that put you here and how long are you staying? Welcome as long as you like, and do you want me to set up stuff for you to look at as we discussed? We can work puppies till we drop, fun fun!

We will have to start in the morning on Friday as we have 50 dogs (30 Open + 7 nursery + 11 Ranch + 3 on the "wait and see list") to run and it will be dark at 5:00 PM. We will run a smaller course on Friday so that we can start somewhat casually - but I think we will need to start no later than 9:00 - 9:30 and run a 8:00 minute course. There is so little afternoon sun. I noticed today that the sun went behind the mountain at 5:09 tonight - yuck.

The discussion about Vicks and trials reminded me of a quote from Donald McCraig in the Dog & Kennel Aug 2004 issue regarding Border Collies being bred over the years for one primary function "These dogs have been bred for over 300 years to work. They are so obsessive that if you're running a Border Collie at a sheepdog trial and you have a bitch in heat, you can run them side by side and the dog won't pay any attention to the bitch. If you throw a steak at the dog, it won't pay any attention. If you have two dogs that dislike each other, you can take them out and work them together". I have never taken Trip out to run around a female in heat, nor have I thrown a steak at Trip or Abby (only because I am too much of a chowhound myself probably). But I can honestly say I do not think I would ever put Vicks up their nose!

Is it OK to get there Thurs night late then, even with it being Thanksgiving..and what day am I judging..can it be Fri or Sat so I can leave at a decent hour on Sunday? I am definately pulling the camper so I think all three of us should be ok for accomodations...Just the wine over ice in a dixie cup for me thanks!

Congrats again on your placement with Jake btw.

In my very novice opinion, this falls into the category of, "If you have to resort to abuse to get the dog to work, that dog needs to grow wheels." I heard a story that someone would put hand lotion on his dog's nose, same idea, little less drastic, I guess. One weekend he forgot his lotion and went around asking if anyone had some, right before his run. One person offered him some Vick's - not thinking he'd take it (knowing what he wanted it for, as everybody did). He did and the dog went to the post, the dog salivating, nose running, squinting his eyes so people weren't sure how he could see. Apparently he was never really a factor in the competition so no one ever called the handler on it.

Thank you, Sam. Jake and I are not very consistent but every once in a while. I started his lifting on grain training yesterday but I don't really have the right sheep for that - always something.

It would be terrific if you would judge Open and Ranch on Friday. I will have someone not running a nursery dog judge nursery each day.

I wish the mountains would be as pretty on Thanksgiving weekend as they are now - what a sight.