BC Boards

IM FIRST!!!

tucknjill

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of us use those white sticks when training, we don't go out to practice with fancy crooks.

If a dog is used to the white stick during training, he/she might respect that visual aid more on the trial field as opposed to a crook, wouldn't you think?

I use a red stock stick at home with the dogs and the cattle. It is a bit bigger and heavier than the white training stick.

Should I get a smaller wooden crook (the kind I can get at the feed store, I can't afford a nice one) for the occasional Nov/Nov class I run my dog in?

Yep, i think that's the idea actually and why some people think it shouldn't go on the trial field (I don't really have an opinion on it myself). I actually use lots of different things when i train instead of just the white stick. I have some white pvc longer poles and some grey pvc "crooks" that i use sometimes, and i've even just grabbed a branch off the ground if i'm working on shedding and don't already have another kind of stick in my hand. I find i carry a stick around in training less and less all the time.

The white stick seems pretty acceptable around here but i'm sure eyebrows would be raised if someone walked out with a buggy whip, which people use about the same way in training.

It's kind of funny, i'd just gotten my crook out to take to the trial this weekend to use instead of my white stick, right before this came up here. Coincidences...

Suppose we were overseas and always carried a real crook when we went out to train our dogs.

Now when we went to a trial and raised up our real crook, would this not be considered a training aid?

White stick or real crook, what is the difference?

Nancy O

Thanks, Robin. I am used to working with my stock stick and find that, if I try to use something shorter or lighter in weight, I do something stupid - like throw the stick or something when I move it!

I guess I am one of those people who really needs some consistency in physical things - using something different tends to throw me off.

I would think that if you use a particular kind of stick or crook in training, it wouldn't make a difference to the dog on the field if you used it or something else (as long as it wasn't more "obvious" in appearance), but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if it would.

Is there a length limit on crooks/sticks used in trials? My stick is a bit longer than the normal crook or stick. I guess that could give me an "advantage" when using it to control the stock (as if anything could give me an advantage). What my dogs needs is a competent handler and practice on sheep!

Sue - there really aren't any rules about crooks and such. I think it mostly comes down to what's accepted in a particular area. Like, it seems frowned upon to use a white stick overseas (at least that's what i've heard). Here, you'd endure lots of raised eyebrows if you took a whip to the post with you but i'm sure well more than half of the handlers around here take a white stick to the post.

I guess then I will stick with my stock stick since I am comfortable with it. Besides, I pose no threat to anyone on the trial field so I hope no one would be offended by my stick! Heck, I can't even blow the whistle!

It would have been a good excuse to get a nice wooden crook, if I'd had the money!

Thanks, Robin!

So which do you take to the post (for those who take something with a curved handle): shepherd?s crook or walking stick?

More info than you probably wanted to have?..

Stick Dressing

THE ART OF STICK MAKING

BORDER STICK DRESSERS ASSOCIATION

For photos of Sticks by George Snaith look at the Gallery

Sticks by Norman Tulip

Scottish Horn Carved Crooks and Sticks

Getting closer to the answer....

British Stickmakers Guild

CLASS A: PLAIN WALKING STICK, HORN

Both nose in and nose out qualify for this class but must be of a size not to qualify for working crook.

CLASS B: PLAIN HORN, CROOK

Neck or leg, to be plain with nothing on the handle or the shank and be of working size 3.

The Shepherd's Crook suggests the length of the staff distinguishes between walking stick and crook.

Mark (having a slow day at work)

I acquired a blind-person's cane, which is sort of like a mini-crook: hollow metal construction, very light, 4 feet or so long, curved handle, painted white with the red on the end, etc. I have used it a few times during competition. I find it somehow appropriate for my performances on the trial field.

charlie

I love those crooks with the BC's on them. I have also seen a beautiful one that has a ram's head on the butt of the handle.

A few years ago some friends of mine gave me a crook for my birthday that had won at some UK stick competition. Instead of a thistle it has an acron and the green leaves go up the nose of the handle. It is lovely, but I am too afraid to use it.

I have a nice one Joan gave me years ago. It's really simple but very pretty and I've used it some at trials. It's just the right length. I just put it back in the van yesterday to use this weekend. Speaking of which, is the weekend ever going to get here?

I also have one with a black horn handle that Spottie won for me at Nancy's trial a couple of years ago. I keep that one hanging in my living room for show. I thought it was a great trophy.

I have a simple buffalo horn crook that I have had mine in my truck to use at Edgeworth and Lena's, but with my silly superstition's I still grab the white stick. Come to think of it - that white stick didn't do one thing for me at Lena's on Saturday or Sunday... so the crook at Red Top it is. :rolleyes:

Mary gave Renee and me each one for helping at one of her last trials in Libertytown MD. She had Hartford Logan get them made in Ireland with our name carved in the handle. I used to just keep it hanging on the wall, but I thought that was a waste so now I use it most every day. At first I was only using it for trials but I found it unfamiliar in my hand and decided to use it every day so I was relaxed with it at trials. Renee still uses the white stick, I think because the crook handle is too big for her.

Mark

I'm with Sue. I always use my white stick because if I change anything when I go out to trial I'm afraid I'll do something stupid. I have enough trouble remembering things, I don't want to be thinking how the weight in my hand is different. Recently tho, I have been starting to use Scott's crook only because I have to have my hands free to whistle and sometimes you can't stick the white sticks in the ground. I end up bending over to pick up my stick off the ground(somehow it doesn't seem to distract the judge to my advantage) and messing up my 3rd leg of the drive. The crook can just go over my arm and it works a little better.

Jenny