BC Boards

Herding Cars

When we take 12-week Cody on our long daily walks through our suburban neighborhood, he immediately starts hunkering down in herding mode and wanting to chase or attack any oncoming cars. We have to really hold him tight on the leash as he lunges for the car. This happens with cars coming from behind us as well. Any suggestions on how to break this very dangerous habit? We are so afraid he will get killed or injured by a car! Thanks.

Others with more experience will hopefully chime in here, but I have had a similar experience.

My girl reacts like this on walks to bikes and joggers. The first thing I do is get her attention. A watch me command is a good start. On walks I am always armed with high value rewards. I take a tug toy and some high value treats with me on every walk. I don't have to use them much anymore, but I like to reward her/redirect her from the behaviors I do not like should they arise. Is your BC clicker trained? This also helped me to mark the behavior I wanted in the situation. If I were you I would take him to a place where you are likely to only see a few passing cars for awhile to practice, then work up to busier areas. I think others on here have dealt with car herding and can help you more. Hopefully this gives you a starting point.

Lauren

If it helps I got my male hooked on the ball so I use that to redirect his attention, It works wonders, but nbow he is ball obsessed. Lol.. though it is better than car obsessed...

My dogs, 1-1/2 and 3 years old, have this same car issue. Tess has had it since she was 8 weeks old and I was carrying her around the neighborhood to socialize. She would try to jump out of my arms to go after cars.

I have tried everything. So far the only thing that works is having them get off to the side of the road and sit. I carry treats with me and I am slowly slowly working on having them look at me after the car goes by, working up to looking at me as the car goes by. 50 mph traffic does not help.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

Zoe and Ari did the same thing. Now when I hear a car coming I put them in a sit/stay and make them look at me. I've had good results so far.

Now I have started taking them to the end of the driveway after our walk and make them sit/stay as the cars pass by. I stand between them and the rode. This was suggested by a trainer friend.

I taught both our dogs, the "No street! command" and also they seem to only want to chase the cars going about 30mph or faster so I try to avoid those areas.

I've been (with no success) trying to teach my monsters to look both ways before crossing. I have had mild success with the move and sit command. I get told i'm crazy for trying to teach them to look before crossing! I figure if it takes me 10 years until they "get it" I have not wasted my time. :rolleyes:

I don't know that you could teach dogs to LOOK but certainly to WAIT. I have to cross a dead-end street from my house to my agility field - and my 4 mo old now knows that when he reaches the street, he must sit and wait for a release before crossing. My 10 yr old does the same thing. (No, the pup is not on any equipment - just playing!)

diane

I don't know about that, they teach seeing eye labs that all the time. They know not to cross the street when a car is coming. And I KNOW BCs are smarter! :rolleyes: But teaching a dog when it is safe to cross a street will be no good to a dog that wants to chase cars. Two different things. And I have seen ALL breeds and mutts chase cars.

Seen a great dane chase a VW bug once. He caught it!

Burnt his nose on the tail pipe! :D