BC Boards

OT: Gizmo - the tzu = UPDATE

INU

I don't know toy breeds either. But I'd focus on finding his owners rather then what to do if you don't find them. Make sure you take him to a vet or shelter and have him scanned for a microchip. They can also tell you best way to put of found stuff. (Craig's List, at Petstores, etc)

My guess is he's a shih tzu. Both dogs 'show' with long coats, so this guy has obviously been to the groomer.

Shih Tzu photo off google: shitzu.jpg

Lhasa Apso pup photo of google:

lhasa_apso_pups_03a.jpg

I think its a Tzu (aka - shih tzu).

There are actually a lot of differences between the two, although they are both small dogs with long coats. I am more familiar with the Shih tzus (of course) but these are the basic differences:

The Shih tzus have a deeper, and more sticking-out chest while the Lhasas are more flat in front. Also, the Shih tzus tend to have more "sqatty" legs (sometimes bowed out like a bulldog) but the Lhasas are more straight. When looked at from the side, the Shih tzus are usually longer than they are tall - Lhasas are more square. Then there is the face, Shih tzus have a really short snout (1" long tops) but the Lhasas have longer snouts (compared to the shih tzus anyway! :rolleyes: ). Usually at least 1".

So, judging by the face, and the fact that his chest seems to stick out a lot, I would think its a Tzu! And a very cute one at that!

There are a lot of good Shih tzu rescues out there (they usually also will take similar small dogs) if you can't find his home. Hopefully (because he has such a nice haircut!) someone is missing their little fuzzbutt!

And yes, Shih tzus tend to like to be cuddled. :D An Adult Tzu can usually "hold it" for 6 hours easy (assuming their are no bladder issues) but they are known for not being easy to house train.

I am happy to answer Shih tzu questions if you have any more!

Here are pics from the AKC so you can really see the body differences:

Lhasa:

lg_artwork.jpg

Tzu:

lg_artwork.jpg

No having food/toy motivation - that is very common. I really had to work to get mine food motivated - and even harder to get them into toys for rewards. When they play they usually like the pounce on toys and chase them (and mine are very obsessed with toys that make noise!). More then anything they seem to have prey drive. A lot of times they seem to enjoy chasing you if you have a toy, or other "keep away" and chase kind of games. But, sadly, they are not really into fetch or tug (but after working with mine I got her to be a tug-loving dog). One of mine though does go crazy or Tennis balls (but only the little ones, the big ones are just very frustrating cuz they can't pick them up!)

Intelligence, well, not quite as much as a BC. :D BUT they are actually very smart and willing if you give them the chance. Once I got a clicker, Peanut (one of mine) suddenly became much sharper in terms of thinking ability - even picking up on some commands faster than Dazzle! They are very intelligent in terms of getting to know routines, learning how trick you into something, and figuring out puzzles (like how to open a bag of chips, or get out of a fenced yard :D ).

Overall, they are VERY happy, proud little dogs. And, despite common belief, they are just not that stubborn. If you have the time, and can get these guys interested in food or a toy, they are very trainable and fun. The males tend to be more submissive than the females - that is pretty much a breed thing, but as far as I know, they are all very tail-waggin', cuddle-lovin' pups! And....they are not afraid of playing with the big dogs (like border collies)! It is very entertaining to watch mine play with Dazzle - such a size difference but they just don't care!

BTW, I PROMISE I am not trying to convince you to keep the guy! :rolleyes:

Edit: about his colors (light body, black tipped ears). That is very common in Shih tzus but not so much in Lhasas. Both of mine have the dark ear tips and light bodies - his coloring in pretty close to Popcorn's.

201216_1128385810.jpg

He sounds like a sweetie. From the photo and the angle it is a little hard for me to tell whether he is a shih tzu or Lhasa. I could see either breed. I've only had Lhasa's but mine were more rectangular than square. The biggest difference I see in the breeds is Lhasa's noses aren't as punched in as I often see in Shih Tzus and Lhasas are a little bigger. Shih tzus are a toy breed. Lhasas are in the non-sporting group.

I've found my Lhasas to be very intelligent, but in a different way than herding dogs. They are fiercely devoted little dogs and often jealous of other animals. How they play will vary among individuals. My first Lhasa loved to retrieve and tug. My current Lhasa also loves to tug but is only now after much effort on my part retrieving. He much prefers to be chased with a toy in his mouth and is so impossibly cute at that game that people will indulge him.

If you can't find a rescue, maybe network with a vet or shelter get the word out that he is available. Just keep talking to people about him -- again to get the word out. You could also run an ad in the paper. I'm sure there is a person or family out there that just would love to have this little guy in their home. Whatever his breed, he is adorable and sounds like he has a great temperament.

Gizmo (he has to have a name even for a week!)does look like popcorn except that he has a black nose instead of that big wet pink thing!
Thanks Kat. I will keep you posted.

gizmo2.jpg

Edit: Liz,
From your discriptions, sounds like he is a Shih tzu.

not usually a fat lip - just a bad bite! Very common, Popcorns teeth stick out a a lot of the time, but she ALWAYS has one tooth that pokes out 100% of the time! that is one of their very cute qualities! :rolleyes:

3420.jpg

The owner was found! I put more flyers during lunch and he saw one of them. He said that his 7 year old was heart broken. He described the dog, color of the collar and etc. He lives on my street. He just picked him up half hour ago.

Inu, I'm so glad you found the little pup's owner! Good for you!

I'm sure the family was grateful. Unfortunately, it sounds like the owner might have the potential for being a nuisance. If it were me, I wouldn't call him back. If he calls again and you should happen to take his call and he asks you again, you can politely, but firmly, indicate that no further thanks are necessary. If he is impolite enough to persist, you can simply say "No thanks, I'm married" and hang up.

Good luck!

Originally posted by INU:

5 minutes later, he called and left a few messages asking if he could take me out for dinner for finding his dog. My hubby is out of country so I felt very uncomfortable. He left me another message just now saying that he wanted to take me out to lunch. I am sure he knows I am married as he lives down the street.

This guy lives in Texas and is acting like that? IME, when southern men get that pushy, beware. He knows better, but for some reason has decided to break the rules. Maybe it was just because he'd had a few, and he'll be really embarassed today. But no way would I call him back.

Really happy you found the little fella's owner, though.