BC Boards

Food Aggression?

Olivia

I was recently approached at the park by a woman that said she has a 5 year old border collie that she is having some food aggression issues with and wanted some advice. She said that she could take away the food, play in the food bowl, etc; but she can't pet the dog while he is eating. If she goes to pet him he growls. He's never shown teeth or anything else, he just stops eating and growls. She has tried sitting by the bowl and hand feeding while petting him and he will let her do this without growling; but he looks very unhappy and stressed.

I didn't know quite what to say. I feel like I am of 2 minds about this. In one sense I feel like if the dog will let her take the food away, etc then she shouldn't worry too much about being able to pet him. Shouldn't dogs be allowed to have some privacy, without being constantly handled, to eat at least?

On the other hand though, I would hate for her to let it go and it develop into more problematic food aggression where she can't remove the bowl, etc.

I recommended to keep working on the hand feeding or perhaps having the dog work (obedience, etc) for his meals but she isn't sure she can work him that long at every feeding. She also hates to stress him by hand feeding constantly plus that is also time consuming.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I see her pretty regularly so I can pass on any advice.

Thanks,

Olivia

"She also hates to stress him by hand feeding constantly plus that is also time consuming."

Well there's a problem right there. Sounds like she'd rather have some quick fix and there probably isn't one. Frankly, I'd let the dog be. Just cuz you can take up the dog's bowl doesn't mean you have to test it every time you feed it. How often do you actually need to pick up the dog's bowl while it's eating?

She established her role by being able to pick up the bowl and it sounds as if she doesn't want to do anything too time consuming, so it's not THAT important to her.

I don't train my dogs to walk nicely on the leash because it's too time consuming and it's not that important to me. Doesn't mean I'm not in charge.

First, few additional questions. How long has she owned the dog, and has he always done this? Have there been any changes in the dog's environment that might explain greater food aggression? (A new dog or person in the household?) Does he have any other aggression problems?

Olivia, my intuition is similar to yours. If he has always done this, and has no other problems, it may simply be a harmless personality trait. Our Aussie, normally a love sponge, will move away from your hand if you pet him while he is eating. We can pick up his bowl, take food away, and pull things out of his mouth with no protest from him. So I just give him some space while he is eating.

--Michael

She said she has had him since he was a pup. She played with his bowl when he was little to keep him from being food aggressive but then slacked off for a while. A few months ago was when she tried to pet him and he growled. No environmental changes that she mentioned, I'll ask again when I see her. No other aggression problems, according to her he is the perfect dog! I played with him, he was a complete sweetie, loved belly rubs, etc! I thought he was pretty cool too.

Thanks Michael. I was kinda thinking that maybe he just needs some space to eat. I know I wouldn't want someone always messing with me while I'm eating. If he is otherwise obedient and good maybe that is enough and he should just eat in private.

She asked if I could pet my dogs and you know, I haven't tried in a long time. I tend to feed in crates to keep the current foster out of everyone's food and my female who is a bottomless pit and will go bully the other dogs away from their food. I can take their food but I never do, don't need to. I don't pet them as I feel they need their privacy.

Olivia

No - no more here - just agree with you guys. If she (or anyone else who needs to) can take things away from the dog safely, that should be it. I'm of the same mind - that the dog deseves some space while he's eating.

My two are fed about a couple of feet apart, to limit problems, and I keep an eye on them while they're eating, to make sure there's no bullying, but it never even occurred to me to try to pet them while they're eating.