BC Boards

Border Collie/ Aussie

Bandit is definately Border Collie. Many people who meet Bandit feels he may have Australian Shepard also in him by his appearence. I was wondering if the two breeds, both being Sheep hearders are purposely mixed together usually. Would a breader for instance ever mix the two. deanbandit.jpg

He is beautiful! send more pics...

Lance, I believe there are some breeders who will mix the BC and AS and BC and ACD. I am sure they have their reasons, like everyone who mixes breeds. I just see BC in Bandit! But I have never seen him in person, yet!

You have a beautiful dog! Just remember that a lot of BCs are mistaken for mixes or mutts! Just enjoy your great guy!

Yes, breeders do deliberate crossbreedings, plus it happens randomly in rural communities pretty often.

However, I don't think Bandit looks like anything besides Border collie, necessarily.

I have 2 from the same litter that are mixed. Although neither really look like a mix. Pache took after his Mom (BC) and Navi took after his Dad (AS). In my opinion they both have alot of the same characteristics as far as looks go but alot of differences also. I find that Aussie's tend to be more on the stockier side too.

th_dragonfly9.jpg

Here's the best pic that I have of them side by side. The only difference between Navi and his Dad is that Dad is a Red Merle and Navi is a Blue.

P.S. Sorry this pic looks a little small.

Bandit is gorgeous.

I just had to say that.

Also, supposedly Sydney is a BC/Aussie mix and was born on a farm in rural MN. I'm sure people might purposefully breed two herding breeds; I don't know if she was from a planned litter or not. (we're guessing not)

~Kelly Deneen

Although River isn't registered, I've met both her parents and I believe them to be BCs. River looks all BC to me.

But I've had a few diff. people at the dog park as me if she's a mix. I say, no, she's a BC. One lady even replied, 'Are you sure?'. She didn't like the looks of her fuzzy ears.

Of course, I'm not, but I have no reason to think otherwise. I think many people wouldn't know a pure BC even if they had a sign around their neck, esp if you don't have a b/w one.

239353_1139606200.jpg

Wow. What a gorgeous dog! Bandit looks like he could be all BC, could be mixed with AS... who knows.

RaisingRiver - I agree. I actually got snarked at once at the dog park many years ago because I asked what breed her BC-look-alike was. (It was red.) I honestly didn't know they came in red.

Border collies have so many different looks to them people who haven't been around many can easily be confused as to what is and isn't.

5a9a2924.jpg

Darcy and Devin are littermates and 100% border collie, yet when two women asked me one time what Darcy was one of them snarked to the other; "I know someone who breeds REAL border collies, that's not a border collie."

Darcy wasn't the least bit offended. :rolleyes:

I met a couple of people who said they would only use border collie Aussie crosses. They claimed they made a nicer working dog. Each to their own I guess.

Hmm, the picture turned out smaller than it should have. Sorry 'bout that.

I've had folks ask me if my purbred border collies were any number of breeds (the best being the person--at a sheepdog trial--who asked me if Willow was a foxhound and another who asked if Twist was a Canaan dog).

I find that people (the general public, not border collie savvy folks) who expect border collies to be only rough-coated B&W dogs with Irish markings (as seen in dog shows) will automatically assume that any dog that doesn't fit that mold must be something else. When I first got Farleigh, I was repeatedly asked if he was an Aussie simply because he was red and so *couldn't be* a border collie. The same assumption is often made of merle dogs (especially in shelters) because folks know Aussies are "supposed" to be merle whereas border collies are not (though we know that to be untrue).

FWIW, Bandit looks all border collie to me.

J.

I'm no expert by any means, but I don't see any Aussie in Bandit, either. Looks all BC to me. and a handsome one, at that.

And I agree with the general public not knowing a whole lot about border collies. In fact, on another board, someone whom I consider to be very dog knowledgeable, asked not too long ago if border collies come in smooth coats!

I was recently walking Dal and Frodo together Now frodo is a beautiful specimen of a B&W bc but, The woman walked up blocked Frodo and Said "That's a border collie I can tell" I raise border collies.

If I had been thinking fast on my feet I would have said then you should know he (dal) is too.lol

I'm thinking of getting a black bandanna made for him that says border collie.lol

I'll try posting full body pics of Bandit later. When I found Bandit at Shelter, They told me they thought he was a collie mix. Border Collie and maybe Australian Shepard. I've seen a Border Collie/Australian Shepard mix at dog park after I first got Bandit, who looked alot like Bandit except for the coloring.

Also Some people who have seen Bandit have asked if he was part Australian Shepard.

Many of you here who have been around both breeds alot more than me would have a better idea if he is mixed with A/S.

I'm just curious! I would not be upset if he was a mix or not. I really love Border Collies!

You're right about the bounce and bark part Julie. It's funny how both of mine are mixes, but each take after the breed of dog that they most look like. Navi can be very high strung, bouncier, stubborn, more vocal, etc. than Pache who tends to be a bit more laid back but lots of quirks that you hear of BC's having. You can tell Navi is a herding type dog but he doesn't have that BC stare like Pache does. Pache doesn't work on stock or anything but he gets in that mode that all of you describe when he sees something moving that interests him. I guess it would be the "stare" that I'm describing.

Lance, Bandit is a very beautiful dog..definitely can tell where he got his name...its suit him perfectly. As far as him being a mix...I guess I could see where some people would ask whether he has AS in him too, but he looks more like BC to me.

But then again, I'm definitely no expert.

Took some photos of Bandit today to help in your assesment of whether you think he may have some A/S in him.

Julie, he is rather bouncie and barkie at times. Not sure if more than most B/C though, since we are only around other Border Collies briefly.

When Bandit is playing with other dogs at park he has a growl when he is trying to herd them. Is that a border collie trait or A/S. hand.jpgroses.jpgroof3.jpgroof2.jpgmalamute2.jpgmalamute.jpg

Lance,

He looks like your predominately white border collie to me! Aussies tend to be blockier in build and more upright in their stance.

Pat..mother to a very bossie mommas boy aussie!

Thanks everyone who posted for your opinions. This really is a great site! Most of you believe Bandit is all B/C. Unless any of you have changed your opinions after seeing new pics I posted yesterday , I believe he is all Border Collie now.

About 2 weeks back, Bandit looked much fluffier and heavier because of his winter coat. After brushing out his undercoat, he appears much trimer now. One of the reasons I thought the people who thought Bandit might be part A/S might be right, was that most Border Collies I had seen in person looked slimmer.

Does anyone know if his fluffier, thicker coat will grow back in the winter? Does the coat change any as an adult? I was told Thanksgiving Day, when I got Bandit, that he was about a year old. (from looking at his teeth)