BC Boards

OT: Kittens

So, I posted awhile back about 2 pregnate cats, one had her kitties 9 1/2 weeks ago and I have started to find them homes, I have 2 left one will be leaving tomorrow and I have someone that wants the last one. The other kitties are only 1 mo old. Here is the problem, and trust me it could just be my lack of trust in people in general. So with that said tell me what you think.

This lady contacts me via email(she posted on CL that she was looking for a orange long haired male kitten I responded). She is a bit pushy in her email telling me she is a vet tech and wants to take all of the kittens "off my hands" because as she stated "since I am a vet tech I can find them better homes then you may be able to". (side note: I have been VERY picky about who gets one of these kittens, and so far so good, I am still receiving emails from the new owners with pictures and all 3 of them have done that on their own I did not ask them to). So I have started feeling a little hesitant with this person

because I do not know what their true intentions are. She did not have a car to come visit with the kitten on Sunday, she had one today but I had to work and was/am feeling uncomfortable with this whole thing, so I let her know I did not know if this was going to work out or not and she blew a gasket...... I emailed her back and explained myself further and she backed down. Then she emails again and says she still wants him and will take any of the younger kitties I have also. :eek: I just wonder if the kittens are going to end up as snake food or something.... What do you think? I feel I need to go with my gut and just stop contact with her, but she said she spent almost $100.00 on a new bed, scratching post, food and bowls for him, so I feel like I should be obligated. But then its not like I am the only one finding new homes for kittens, and I am not in a huge hurry for him to leave. Sorry for rambling....

I have already had both momma cats spayed and the daddy cat neutered via "Alley Cat Aliance" good program!!!

Thanks again

I work in rescue in Colorado and if I were you I would stop all contact with this person. Any time a potential adopter 'blows a gasket', it throws up a huge red flag for us. We had a nationally known animal collector/abuser claim we had her dog up for adoption -- it was not her dog and when we said something, she 'blew a gasket'. I've found that reasonable people are not pushy and do not go bonkers at a change of plans. It sounds like you are doing a great job of finding good homes -- most likely better than this person. You know that labs buy small animals for testing......

I do know labs buy animals for testing, my daughters and I have put alot of work behind these kittens and I want only the best for them. I figure I owe it to them as I was the one that should have caught these cats in the first place and spayed and neutered them regardless if they were here before we moved in. So it is my responsibily to get them good homes. I also had a lady at work tell me she gave kittens to a person she used to work with and they fed it to the snake....... I would hate for that to happen to these babies.

Originally posted by Coloradogirl:

I also had a lady at work tell me she gave kittens to a person she used to work with and they fed it to the snake....... I would hate for that to happen to these babies.

Niiiccce. (Loaded with sarcasm)What is wrong with people?! I would have blown a gasket on that person.

Anyhow just remember (and you may want to remind this woman) that right now these are YOUR kittens, and you choose where they go and to whom and if she doesn't like it, she can go look elsewhere.

You owe her nothing- regardless of how much she went out and spent.

These are your babies. Go with your gut. I would.

Go with your gut. It's not your responsibility that this woman went out and bought supplies (if she really did) in anticipation of getting a kitten. The whole interchange with this woman raises a lot of red flags for me (potential snake food aside). I think I would run away from her as fast as my legs could carry me.

J.

I'm a firm believer in 'trusting my gut'...the day that I didn't heed that feeling, I was in a nasty car accident. Run, don't walk in the other direction! Something's not right.

Beware, my first thought as well was a "it's a lab." We had an article here in the paper recently about, missing dogs and cats as well as massive amount of KITTEN adoptions. It was happening in waves and the pattern was too much of a coincidence. They finally cornered one group, who had 12 people running all over the area, adopting kittens from the shelters.

I agree with Kris & Julie, RUN AWAY from this woman, you don't owe her anything.

I agree, she has no right to get mad, or think she should just be able to get them. She might not have even bought anything. She might be trying to get you to feel like you have to. No one told her to buy that stuff. If I was going to buy a cat, or a dog for that matter I wouldn't buy everything before I even know if I was going to get it. Just what I thought though. God Bless

Thank you for validating my feelings. She has not even emailed me, or called me on my cell phone, and if I wanted a kittie as "bad" as she seems to, I would have been on the phone talking to the owners.

I also did a search on Craigslist to see if any of the want a kitty ads seemed to be the same, and low and behold there were 2 others posted within 2 days of each other saying this person was a vet tech and was in search of a kitten that is gray and white, and the other said seal point, and of course the orange kitty.

Not only that, once I really started thinking about it, if she is truely a vet tech wouldnt she have access to people with kittens already (possibly), and......... why wouldnt she go to say Planned Pethood who will take litters of kittens from people, then spay the female and spay and neuter the kittens before they go to new homes, and they only charge $35.00. Why in the world would she want to drive almost 1 1/2 hours to my place to get this kitten.

I agree 100%. VERY strange- bordering on scary.

Vet techs see plenty of people, so I would imagine that they have a steady supply of kittens if they wished to.

Especially as they know who does, and does not fix their cats...

I would make an appt. to visit HER. I would like to see her place first - maybe she's a weird cat lady and her home is overrun with 100s of cats. Many adoption agencies make home visits and I think you could call yourself an experienced adoption agency. See if she "blows a gasket" at that suggestion...

Go with your gut!

She had no right to blow a gasket. She has not given you a deposit or paid you for the kitten. So she bought $100 in stuff for a kitten, she can use it on another kitten she finds.

My thought with her looking for seal point and long haired orange is she may be a broker of some sort. She could have buyers for this particular look, breed etc of a cat.

That lady sounds weird and scary. I think you should e-mail her saying that "The cat you were interested in is no longer available."

Or, one other possible approach. E-mail her that there are several people interested in the cat and it appears the cat is very valuable, and so if she wants it the cost will be $800 (CASH money only). If she pays that for the cat then it is highly likely it will be going to a good home. Nobody would pay that kind of money for a throw away cat.

Agreed, something seems fishy.

If she really did spend $100 on supplies she can most likely return them. Regardless, that's not your problem. What kind of information do you have on her? Could you do some research to find out whether she really is a vet tech or not?