BC Boards

How do they know?

For two days now Black Jack has been licking my left thumb everytime I go out to see him. I thought for a while maybe it was just some funny thing he did but I got to thinking, I have hurt my thumb really bad three times now and it swells up and hurts for no reason. I got to looking at it and my thumb is all puffy tonight. How did he know something was wrong with it?it's funny how they "know"

He was probably able to detect a different scent from your injured thumb. Injured/inflammed tissue may have a different scent that is too faint for us, but discernable to dogs. Their sense of smell is amazing.

Here are a couple of interesting articles on the ability of dogs to detect cancer by the scent:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...dog_cancer.html

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/...60106002944.htm

Yeah I have heard of dogs finding cancer, and other health problems before. It's amazing how they smell so much.

I honestly think they can smell the inflammation or when something is wrong.

Popcorn was bothering me too, so I went to the Dr and coincidently they ran a mammogram and also an ultrasound, and still don't know what it is.

So...now I have to go back in in 6 mos to make sure it isn't cancer.

"They don't feel it's safe to wait a year." Their wording. kind of scary.

I'm sure there's nothing to worry about Beth. They're probably just staying on the safe side.

Dogs definitely know when you're not feeling well-I threw my back out yesterday and spent the rest of the day in bed. DH was home, and usually Jack will spend all day glued to his side. I woke up from a nap and found Jack next to me, and when I moved to the floor later in the night, he brought all his toys over to me and laid down with me. What a sweetie!

One of my neighbour's dogs (a poodle) always sits licking at her husband whenever he's got an especially bad pain. He has some major health issues and has constant pain, numbness and/or loss of feeling in various parts of his body. He's got osteoporosis and has had both shoulders replaced, plus he's got a condition called syringomyelia which involves a fluid-filled cyst on the spinal cord (which in turn affects the rest of the body). The poodle is actually not always the best tempered dog, kind of a snippy little thing at times with the other dogs and some people, but she loves him to death and is great company for him. She can tell when he's hurting really bad and doesn't leave his side.

I wonder, can dogs really smell where the inflammation is, or could they detect the pain in a different way? Chinese medicine focuses on the flow of energy throughout the body doesn't it? I've often wondered if that's got anything to do with how the dogs can sense where the pain is.