BC Boards

ear troubles

for the past week, chena has been rubbing her one ear and scratching it quite a bit. she also shakes her head, which she never did before. I looked in her ear with a light, and tried to clean it out as best I could, but she hated it. I quit because I was afraid I would injure her. she is terrible when it comes to exams, and I can imagine what it would be like to have a vet check her. It taked three people and a muzzle to even clip her nails, let alone check the ears. but I will take her in if there is nothing I can find here. There is no odor from her ear, and that is what has me puzzled. could someone please give me some advise as what to do? Should I take her in for a check up? Thanks for any input.

If the inside and some of the outer part of the ear is black, like black dirt, it could be ear mites. It could also be a "germ" of some sort. Cheyenne was having a real prob with her ears, and when I checked, she had the black dirt around her ears. So I just got some of the OTC mite med. but it didn't help. So I took her to the vet. They were surprised to that it wasn't mites. They said something about a germ or bacteria or something. But ear drops cleared it right up. Also no odor.

It could be allergies. Missy has grass/pollen allergies has been scratching her ears kind of like that for several weeks now. My vet said to give her benedryl, and that really helps.

I would at least call your vet, explain your situation, and ask if there was anything else you could try before bringing her in. If not, scheldule an appointment. after a week I doubt whatever it is isn't going to just go away. It would be worth the trouble to make her more comfortable.

I have decided to take Chena in for a check-up tomorrow. I called my vet, and seeing she needs to up-date her shots anyway, then he will check her ears. I know I will feel better having her checked. Although, she is not seem to be hurting today. so we will find out.

Thanks to the two of you who cared.

Well, all is well, or should I say fairly well. chena had a wax build-up of wax. the vet cleaned the ears out,(what a circus) and now I have to do the same in three days. but at least I am relieved that there was not an infection. She is back to her own tricky self!

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY to all the mothers out there!

Chena's mom

Glad your girl is feeling better.

A suggestion, it won't help you at this moment, but will for the future. Spend a little time each day massaging her all over. 10 - 15 minutes a day does wonders for letting you touch them in places they otherwise don't like. When you do the ears just start with the tips and gradually work up to where you car rub your thumb down inside a ways. I find that if you let them smell or, if they want to, lick your thumbs after you rub the ears it can help too. Darcy washes my thumbs off and then shoves her head at me so we can "wash" them again.

By the way, it might not be that nobody else cared. I know for myself I only get a limited time to pop in so I can't read every thread. I usually pick two or three and then I have to get back to work, as it is I've spent more time on here the last couple of days than I should have. I'm sure it's the same for a lot of people.

Oh yes, Happy Mother's day to you too.

Hey! That is a great suggestion. When she was a puppy, I used to massage her whole body, just so she would get used to people touchiung her, and not hurting her, cuz, she was abused, and that worked wonders. so I will have to remember to do that more often with her ears. I suppose the dog would enjoy me rubbing her ears inside, you figure, she can't get way down with her paws, and after all, what else are we here for?? but to scratch where it itches! tee-hee, thanks!

Cody used to be real sensitive tobeing touched, also, needing am uzzle for toenail clippings and ear cleaings, and we, also have had issues with ear infections. He has a very expensive drop to use whenever he starts the scratching/head shaking and it clears him right up. He has graduated to not needing a muzzle when I clean his ears out about once amonth regularly, because someone a while ago in this site suggested the massaging him to making him feel comfy with being probed at and it worked. He now leans in for more when we clean his ears so it worked like acharm for us.

Ditto on the comment made about people responding...I dont ge tin here as often now with the warmer weather but if I can help by giving my two cents, I do, even if the issue has been resolved before I get here, as is thisone. Congrats on getting your baby feeling better and happy mother's day to you all!!!

Shawna, I am totally in your shoes re: posting. I feel like I post a LOT,but it is usually on just 1-3 threads per day, and even that is too much time away from my work of kids/dishes/laundry/dog, etc.

We have ear problems with Scout that start out as likely allergy then progress quickly to full infection. We clean his ears about once a week just to keep them AOK, but he still gets an infection when its time for his cortisone shot which he gets about every six months.