Boyden is very sick

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Miz

I know your already at the vets but thought I'd chime in here

All that you've described really sounds allot like what Mick went through with the tick diseases. I hope that is all Boy has. Mick did the hunch back thing and hated being touched for ever. I compared it to when you have a fever of your own and touching your skin even hurts.

It took Mick way longer than any other story book case I heard about. He was sick almost the whole 3 months we had him on doxy and then he relapsed 3 times even after the meds were gone. I'm sure there is permenant damage but he's still working and loves life. he's been off doxy now for about 3 months and just now coming into loving to be pet and loved on. He still looks sore sometimes but I think the things he does now are just habits from the long term illness.

So hang in there and lets hope it's just a long recovery period and the after effects of all the testing.

Hugs and prayers to you

Kristen

Very sorry to hear about Boyden being sick. He is in my prayers for speedy recovery.

It's amazing how much we love our dogs. When my Dane Mindy passed this past Oct., it broke my heart. Now I worry about Bandit's well being all the time.

Wishing to hear good news about Boyden's visit to vet.

I gave Boy his first steroid a couple hours before we got to the vet. He was in bad shape when we got there (but walking) but doing much better a couple hours after that.

He's still crying out in apparent pain, he needs help getting in and out of the car, walking and holding himself a bit funny, stuff like that, but he's perking his ears up for me, eating his beef stick treats, and even carrying his tail in the air and growling at a dog, so that's all very good news!

He's had an awful lot of tests recently but he hasn't had a plain old blood draw, so they did that. Everything came back normal except there was no reading for the ALT (something to do with the liver). That probably means that the level is too high for their machine to read (which would be bad). They are sending his blood to another facility that can count higher (or whatever). Due to the holiday weekend, they probably won't get results for me until Tuesday, but there is a small chance they can get them this evening.

The vet doesn't know what is wrong with him. She's never seen him before and is going on what she saw and what I've told her about him and his history. It could be the Toxo, it could be some side effect of the MRI or spinal tap, it could be something else...

I'm going to get a hold of the neurologist and the doc that did the MRI/spinal tap and let them know what is going on.

The vet I saw (her name is Dr. Varns by the way) said he really shouldn't take any pain meds with the steroids, and especially if his ALT's are high, because that's not good for the liver, so he's just going to have to be in some pain. If it gets too severe then I'm to call her. She's going to work with the other docs too.

Right now he's resting and doesn't seem too terribly uncomfortable, but he doesn't really look relaxed either. I feel so sorry for him. He was perfectly normal before I brought him in for the MRI and spinal tap. What's strange is that both of them ended up being normal. I don't know what's wrong with him. I better call the neurologist and other doc so they know what's going on. Maybe they can shed some light.

Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers. I'll let you know if I learn anything, or if anything changes.

Miz...I'm so sorry that you and poor Boy are going through all of this. Please give him big HUGS from us. You've gone through so much w/ him and shared it all w/ us that he's like extended family. Sending love and prayers your way!

Keep your chin up and stay strong for him.

Miz....Please know that you are all in my prayers. My heart breaks for baby Boy! and ya'll. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels helpless, wish there was something we could do, out here in cyber space.

Sending lots of hugs, positive vibes and prayers for a speedy recovery!!!

We all love Boy! Hang in there baby (((( ))))