BC Boards

Boyden is very sick

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He hasn't been right since his MRI and spinal tap, and today (yesterday now) he's been having problems.

His temp has been between 104.3 and 104.5 for several hours now. His lymph nodes are alot bigger than Fynne's. He won't eat. A few times tonight he let out a high pitched cry, even if he was just standing there or lying there. Sometimes, if he was standing, he'd take a couple steps backward and arch his back/hunch up like an angry cat. There's just all sorts of things.

He's been real subdued and it's gotten to the point now where he's not even reacting to anything I say or even food. He won't even twitch an ear for me. He might look at me but he won't lift his head or perk his ears or anything.

I don't know what's wrong with him but I'm really worried and just waiting for the vet's office to open.

He's been just lying there for a while but before that he was standing funny and holding his head funny. Something's really wrong. :rolleyes:

It's 5:30 in the morning here. I found a new vet and don't know when they open but I'll be calling every half hour until they are.

This is how he is holding himself tonight, with his neck to the side and his head sorta cocked:

May%202006%20173.jpg?dc=4675574124134013075

Miz, sorry to hear it. I hope Boy gets better and you can get him to a vet as soon as possible. His symptoms sound really weired so i dont know what it could be. Do you have an after hour vet near you?? Maybe you could ring them. Sorry i dont know what else to say.

Only moral support from this distance, Miz - but I would be doing what you're doing, and trying to get him to a vet as soon as possible - at this stage, I'd say, any vet. Is there an emergency vet number anywhere in your area that you could call in the meantime?

I called the emergency vet, two of them actually. They said because he's already on antibiotics and steroids, and because he's had so many tests and stuff and is being seen already, it's best if we can stick it out until the vet's office opens. They said all they can do is stabilize him and not much else. They said bring him in pronto if he has problems breathing or something terrible serious like that, but to otherwise wait for the vet to open.

Poor thing. He has really been through the wars hasn't he. You must be exhausted too. I guess the best you can do is wait till the vet opens and let Boy be. He must be mentally and physically exhausted too. Keep us updated when you have time. Hang in there.

Hubby is getting ready for work now. I'm going to have him help me load Boy into the car right before he leaves cause there's no way I can carry him myself. Other than that, there's nothing I can do but wait for them to open.

Hubby is real upset and worried too.

Oh - good that you actually got hold of the emergency vets. At least you know that they think he'll hang in OK till your own vet opens - and you know you can take him there if you feel he's in big trouble. And I guess they feel that with his 'cocktail' of meds, it's better for the vet who's got the whole picture to be seeing him.

What time does your own vet's office open - I'm thinking 8.00 am if it's like here. So another couple of hours? You'd better get yourself a nice pot of strong coffee, and then sit and give the poor Boy a big cuddle. Thinkng good thoughts for you.

The vet opens at 7:00. We'll load Boy into the car in 10 minutes when he leaves, and then I'll head to the vet's and wait for them to open.

Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. There is something terribly wrong with him. I'll let you know what's going on as soon as I get back.

I'll be checking all day here for updates. In the meantime, my thoughts are with you, Miz and Boy.

I think most of us here know and sick, empty and nauseating feeling when one of our dogs is so sick.

Poor guy. You've both been through so much, but he couldn't have found a better owner.