BC Boards

OT: Suggestions for a really good camera?

I know some members awesome photographers. I'd love to get a really great camera, one that takes great pictures all 'round, but takes good actions shots, too. I find that I'm really limited to what kinds of pictures I can take of Odin.

Anyone have any recommendations? Prices? Links?

I think you need to start with a budget in mind Kee - a 'good' camera really can be found in every price range, but you can't compare across ranges. I mean - a good $400 camera, is really a good $400 camera, but it will not compare to a good $1000 camera.

Whatever the price, I'd suggest deciding what kind of photos you want to take, and then looking for features that support that. As an example - if you want action photos - you need fast focus, you need minimal lag time (delay from pressing shutter to actual capture), you need fast shutter speeds, fast ISO speeds, etc. Other types of photos will need other types of features, and until you're in the $1000+ range, you'll not find a camera that does 'it all'..

FWIW - I have a Canon 1D MkII - I love it. My daughter Liz has a Canon A520 - she is doing some very good photography with it (a $200 or so? camera as I recall - and she shoots exclusively in manual now - I've tainted her!)

I am looking at that Nikon D50 on the Best Buy Canada website . . . 899$ Canadian + 15% tax is pretty pricy for me, but it looks sooooooo good! I think I'm going to have to put it on my birthday wishlist :rolleyes:

lol the Nikon D50 is my dream camera, and one of the main things I am saving up for, I am awfully tired of taking pics with an $80 digi thats held together with duct tape(literally) I love action shots but it has like a 10 second delay time, I HAVE plenty of action shots, and I have gotton pretty skilled at predicting whats going to happen 10 seconds down the road, but it woulds be nice to have a faster delay time and clearer pics.

I don't want to hijack this thread however, can someone tell me if my Nikon SLR lenses (bayonet mounts) will fit on a Nikon digital SLR? My one and only SLR is a Nikon EM...which was/is a great little SLR for relatively 'camera' challenged people like me? However, I did invest in a good number of lenses which would be nice to use.

I have always used throw-away cameras. I saw nothing wrong with them.

Then, I woke up one day last week and decided I wanted to grow up and buy a camera. So, I did. Got a good deal too.

Now, if someone could please tell me how to use the thing I would be really happy. The manual for the thing is bigger than most of my text books from college.

I got a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-H1 5.1 Mega Pixels and then it also says 12x Optical Zoom. What does that mean?

I just wanted to post pictures of my dogs like everyone else. Maybe I should have stuck with the throw away camera!!!!

FWIW - I have a Canon 1D MkII - I love it. My daughter Liz has a Canon A520 - she is doing some very good photography with it (a $200 or so? camera as I recall - and she shoots exclusively in manual now - I've tainted her!)
I was checking out reviews about Canon A520s the other day. What does your daughter think about the shutter lag? Has she had any problem with the shutter sticking?

My favorite (cheaper) camera that takes great puppy action shots, great people shots, great flower shots, and just about any other kind of shot, is the Canon PowerShot S45.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00028CEC...5Fencoding=UTF8

I love it for a cheaper, less manual, good for learning simple stuff, very hardy, little camera. (once they get better, they get bigger. Real pain to carry big ones around)

Sadly, that camera just died on me (maybe because it got chewed up by a Border Collie puppy, dropped into the grand canyon, and fallen out of a car multiple times :rolleyes: ) so now I have a Canon Powershot S2 IS. Great camera (very manual) but only thing is - you have to buy the camera, then you have to buy about 300 other gizmos to take the kind of pictures it is capable of. So in the long run, not cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009GZSS...5Fencoding=UTF8