BC Boards

Shelter question

I have a question about going to the shelter. Does it help the dogs or just make them think your going to take them home. Even if you can't. I'm asking because I love going into the shelter to see Blsck Jack, but I don't want make him think I can take him home right now. I really don't want to hurt him. But I love going in there. What do you guys think? Thanks.

I believe it is good for shelter dogs to have human interaction. Dogs live more "in the moment". He doesn't realize you can't take him home, he just knows it's good when you show up. It gives him something fun and different to do. Any playtime or training time you have with him is very good in my opinion.

Do you know yet if you eventually be able to get him?

I'm not really sure yet. I haven't found out if he would even get along with our dog now, or if my parents will let me get one right now either. I think I'm going to get a puppy but I'm not sure about it yet. I just don't want to hurt him, or make him feel like someone left him again. Maybe it's just me wanting to bring him home. :rolleyes: The shelter is a kill shelter, but they try not to put any to sleep if they're really good dogs. They would tell me before if they were going to though. I'm just really torn about all of it. Sorry, I just need to get it off my chest I guess. Thanks guys.

It's really good for shelter dogs to get out of their runs, even for a few minutes. Shelters are extremely stressful and hard on dogs - they are confined in a too-small run, they can't socialize with people or other dogs, and they feel everyone elses stress.

I've photographed thousands of shelter dogs, and I've found that unhappy, frightened, or hyper dogs are much better for having been out of the shelter with someone who pets them and walks them for a few minutes. Many, many of them just want to connect and be affectionate with people.

Well just so you guys know I went into the shelter today and saw Black Jack again. He was so happy to see me. He's starting to remember me now. I walked him for about an hour and then just hung around the shelter and played with him. They had one guy that wanted to get him but he wasn't going to do anything with him, and he was going to be in a small house for all but five hours a day. So they wouldn't let him have him. I talked to my Mom today after and she asked me about him so I might be able to get him sometime. I taught him to stay and almost to shake just today. He makes me feel really smart. :rolleyes: Well I just wanted to let you know. Maybe I'll get an early Christmas gift.