BC Boards

frustrated

It was beautiful today and thanks to daylight savings I actually had enough daylight to do something after work. I puttered around the yard a bit and then decided to take Dublin for a nice long walk to the park. I pictured some nice one on one bonding time before he heads to the vet tomorrow for his x-rays.

Everyone was out walking, many with dogs. Dublin was a lunatic. He was back to growling and lunging at cars; I thought he had been getting better but I guess not. He was lunging on the leash trying to get to other dogs (he wanted to play) and completely blew me off. He used to be a joy to walk - polite and friendly with just an occasional bout of jumping up in excitement when he met someone new. He went through a bit of a stage of pulling when he went through his teenage phase but nothing like this. We didn't make it more than few blocks before I had to turn around and go back home because my arm was half ripped out of the socket. I was practically in tears I was so frustrated - I barely recognized my own dog...everyone who knows him loves him and says how well-trained he is - if you saw him today you wouldn't believe it was the same dog. What has happened to my dog? Once we got back to my block (where for once there weren't any cars or other dogs) he was back to his lovable self. He didn't even perk his ears when a bicycle went by really fast...

I just don't get it....

Oh, can't they be frustrating! I guess the one positive out of all that was that he was back to being a good boy at the end of the walk.

Do you use a clicker with Dublin? I'm asking because one of the things we were shown at a dog camp was to click the reactive dog for looking at the other dog (but instantaneously, before a lunge) - the clicker savvy dog looks back at that point for the treat. Theory is you're teaching them it's OK to look, but then they check back with you. Your timing has to be good, and I doubt it would work without the clicker. For a clicker savvy dog, the click is a very powerful message.

(BTW and completely OT, I'm reminded that I haven't thanked you for your help over my friend's Greenie incident. Dog luckily is fine again, but it was really reassuring to have hear your story, and know that a good outcome was likely. Thanks again.)

Kerry, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Dubby could sense your own feelings and was simply reacting on them.

You know how our dogs seem to know when we're sad and come up to us and kiss us or whatever? They really can sense these things. Some can sense a siezure coming on too.

If you were feeling anxious and on edge, as opposed to your usual self, then he too would feel anxious and on edge.

Which leads me to my last point. Don't keep yourself up all night worrying. Even if Dublin's hips are bad, it doesn't mean he won't live a long and happy life. I know it's hard not to worry, but worrying never once changed the outcome of anything, so there's no point in it.

That said, if you get up at midnight cause you can't sleep and happen to read this, I'll be here along with several other people if you just wanna chat.

Originally posted by Miztiki:

Kerry, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Dubby could sense your own feelings and was simply reacting on them.

you know I had a horrible day with Riven a couple days ago. I was so disappointed in her, and couldnt believe how awful she was. For the first time I really regreted getting her. After talking with the trainer, she told us the same thing Miz said. Dogs are smart, and can pick up on vibes even if we think we arent giving them.

I hope its going better for you, I know how upset I was.

Thanks guys. Hopefully, that is all it was (at least for the pulling/lunging toward dogs - I think the car reaction was "real" though). Dublin is pretty intuitive so maybe that had a lot to do with it.

Barb - I do clicker train with him and most times he will focus on me during the walk, esp if he knows treats/clickers are involved. Not this time though. (And thanks for the update on your friend - I was wondering about her, glad to hear things worked out well! )

----

I dropped him off at the vet this morning and I can call at 2pm to find out how he is...I have a bad feeling about this but I don't know why - hopefully I am just being paranoid. Keep your fingers crossed for him.