BC Boards

ABCA Suspends Breeder

Jodi...you're obviously trying to press a button with Annie and you're both obviously trying to bring other board news to this one...but really...Show Dogs Suck...why not just Showing Dogs Suck. I know, it's my ever turning broken record, but why make it about the dogs when it's about the people?
Amen! It's the people and what they do that is the problem - it's not the dogs' fault.

Eileen

The ISDS in what was their then News Letters did name and shame. If you remember H.Gyn Jones was banned for some time from the ISDS and was re-instated a few years later. This was do with mis-representation of pedigrees etc.

They have also banned others and if you ask they will tell you who.

As to the French buying pups from the States and just going on the registration - well it does happen!! They think that an ISDS pedigree will give them the trial champion they seek and this goes for ABCA registration also. Most DO NOT speak any English/American or very little and have no idea where to look when looking for a good working pup from an honest breeder.

Maybe each registry/country should have a list they could send out of honest breeders for foreigners to contact.

If someone contacted me here in France for a breeder then I could without any doubt give them a handful of very good honest breeders and also those not to buy from.

Every country also has different legal rules. Here we have to give a bill of sale stating that the dog is legally identified ( tatoued or micro-chipped)and has its first vaccination and has been checked by the vendors vet before the sale and is in good health or a full male if appropriate. The bill of sale is valid 6 months and if any inherited diseases emerge then the vendor is held resposible. Does this apply in the States?

So far here we do not have Border Collie puppy millers, no really bad breeders that could be struck off for mis-conduct (yet!) and we do not have a show fraternity However handlers are looking more and more out of France to buy their working pups as our gene pool is relatively small so a list of honest breeders would be helpful as some mistakes have been imported and at a very hig cost

I do try to tell them not to buy from a website of a breeder but some of these websites are the only way they can see the furture produce and sadly they do not realise that some of these breeders may be dishonest or bogus.

Will you pay the civil damages for the honest breeder who is left off the list and sues the ABCA for defamation of character? The problem is that it's not an objective fact whether a breeder is reputable. It's a judgment call. It's nice that the French want to buy American dogs, but they'll need to come up with some way to ascertain which dogs they want, just as those of us here in North America do.

Frankly, anyone who buys based on a dog's registration alone is pretty much asking for trouble.