BC Boards

OT: More AKC hijinks, um, hijacks....

I don't subscribe to the News & Observer, but I do get papers from neighbors, et al., for use lining the bird cage, etc. As I was separating papers for that use, I happened across this article:

http://www.newsobserver.com/167/story/458796.html

It's interesting that although AKC recognized the black and tan coonhound in 1945, the article states that there's been little crossover between the show dogs and the real hunting dogs. A direct quote: "Coonhound handlers cared mostly how well a dog could tree a racoon, while the AKC largely focused on the appearance of the dogs." Sound like a familiar story?

AKC's reason for pushing for registration? To ensure that the dogs "stick around," as if they are becoming an endangered species (tell that to the coon hunting club just down the road!).

The article is an interesting read mainly as a means of learning some of the tactics AKC will use to assimilate all breeds (negotiating with governments to set aside hunting land--only for registered dogs, no doubt; offering free AKC registration to dogs registered with two other registries....).

Bleh!

J.

I find it interesting that, on The Kennel Club (UK) website, under the field trials (for bird dogs) section, they make a very straightforward comment, that I believe could easily be extrapolated to stockworking breeds:

If you want to own a dog capable of performing at a day?s shooting he should come from working stock. Some dogs which have been bred for the show scene, or simply as pets, may have lost much of their working and hunting instinct which is vital in working gundogs.
The working test for kennel club-bred Border Collies in the UK is administered by ISDS. It is interesting that only one "show champion" has ever passed this test (and that has been several years ago) to become a "full champion" - either because proving a level of stockworking ability is not important to the kennel club mentality or because their dogs just can't make the grade.

Now, if The Kennel Club of the UK can recognize that traits are lost when dogs are bred for appearance (or performance or pets) rather than purpose, why can't/doesn't the AKC? Because the AKC wants to be the only game in town...for ALL breeds, for EVERYBODY, for EVERYTHING...and because their core is the show ring where appearances are what count.

AKC always has some trumped-up justification for wanting to assimilate every breed. Sort of like "we had to destroy the village to save it", perhaps?

Wonder what exactly this entails

negotiating with governments to assure there is ample hunting land for the dogs
Does this mean they are buying land under the AKC name, so dogs can hunt, or acquiring hunting rights on land.......?

Nancy O

The other day I watched an old movie made in 1936 with Jackie Cooper and Rin Tin Tin. For those of you who don't know, Rin was a German Shepard. I was so shocked when I realized the diff between what Rin looked like and the GSD you see now! Lord, what did they DO to their back end? I noticed especially when I watched the dog show from Harrisburg. Speaking of that show, which I watch those types just to see the BCs, they always just talk a little about them, and when it came to the ACD, they went on and on about it and made the statement that the ACD is one of the few breeds that has retained it's original purpose. I yelled at the TV, well duh! look what y'all did to the GSD, it is only a matter of time!

So, what do y'all think? Is the ACD more "pure" than the BC's? Is it because the ACD is not as "showy" as the BC's and aust. shepards?? What is the real driving force behind the AKC destroying dogs? I mean, the top 5 winners in the herding group, hasn't worked, as a breed, in years!

This is the reason for the AKC move on the coonhounds, plain and simple:

In 1992 AKC registered 1,528,392 individual dogs.

In 1993 AKC registered 1,422,559 individual dogs.

In 1994 AKC registered 1,345,941 individual dogs.

In 1995 AKC registered 1,277,039 individual dogs.

In 1996 AKC registered 1,332,557 individual dogs.

In 1997 AKC registered 1,307,352 individual dogs.

In 1998 AKC registered 1,309,353 individual dogs.

In 1999 AKC registered 1,220,951 individual dogs.

In 2000 AKC registered 1,119,700 individual dogs.

In 2001 AKC registered 1,175,473 individual dogs.

In 2002 AKC registered 1,081,335 individual dogs.

In 2003 AKC registered 915,441 individual dogs.

In 2004 AKC registered 958,641 individual dogs.

In 2005 AKC registered 920,804 individual dogs.

Their overall registrations have been going down for quite some time. Consequently, they've decided that all kinds of breeds they previously disdained now urgently require their protection. Unfortunately, we were one of the earliest ones targeted.

The nation's largest and most recognized dog registry is in the early stages of a major push to add coonhounds to its prestigious rolls, hoping both to increase its membership and to assure that these sad-eyed symbols of country life stick around a while longer.

"We're interested in the registration of these dogs and their litters, but we're most interested in preserving these dogs for the future," said Steve Fielder, who moved to Raleigh in late 2004 to launch the club's coonhound initiative.

To help with its initiative, the AKC began offering free registration last year to coonhounds already enlisted with two other national clubs. The move resulted in about 10,000 registrations, up from about 500 the previous year. The club expects to have another 10,000 registered by the end of this year, pushing the total number of AKC registered coonhounds to 22,000.
From these statistics, it doesn't sound as if the breed is hurting so much. There seem to be enough registered Coonhounds, just not registered with the AKC. The AKC makes themselves sound like they are the saviors of the breed. Too bad all those people chose to reg. their dogs with AKC.

I have known AKC bred acds and they are still so high drive that the owners had to get them into activities to just keep sane. I have a working bred acd and she is more driven than the show ones. These friends all said they would never own a working bred acd because they don't have much of an offswitch.

I think that many bcs actually have an offswitch so folks can get away with just some frisbee/ball etc... My bc pup has an offswitch and it is wonderful and I was told this is typical in the working bred ones (not the sport bred ones).

So I personally do not believe the acd is more pure than the bc. I just think the acd makes folks do things if they want to stay sane.

This is just my humble opinion which does not really mean much.

I will stay with my working bred acds in the future and hopefully working bred bcs too...

"We're interested in the registration of these dogs and their litters, but we're most interested in preserving these dogs for the future," said Steve Fielder, who moved to Raleigh in late 2004 to launch the club's coonhound initiative.
Because there's nothing quite like AKC registration when it comes to preserving all that's best about a breed. Gack.

This was forwarded to me recently---I'm assuming it's accurate.

For those who think AKC is making a "killing" on the recording fees, here is the real information, presented at the last delegates meeting and printed in the Gazette in the delegates meeting minutes for June. Interesting numbers.

Let?s now take a look at one of our significant core businesses - events. Can I see a show of hands by those people who believe the AKC makes money from its events? For 2005 the total of all events generated revenues of $7.4 million. However, the corresponding expenses totaled $17.2 million. This resulted in a deficit of approximately $10 million. Fortunately, this deficit was subsidized by our registration revenues. However, we do need to be concerned by the continued erosion of registrations as Dennis previously described.

If we next analyze the event numbers by sport, Conformation generated revenues of almost $5 million in 2005. However, it also incurred the largest portion of events-related expenses. This resulted in an operating deficit of $4 million for Conformation events last year. This compared to operating deficits of $3.2 million for Performance and $2.8 million for Companion events. If we next review these figures on a per entry basis; there were more than 3 million total entries last year. Two thirds of all entries related to Conformation. For all events, the average cost per entry was $5.75 vs. corresponding revenues of only $2.46. Therefore, we were left with an operating deficit of $3.29 for each entry. This obviously leaves a great deal to be desired from a financial perspective.

Dennis Sprung: Registration revenues remain extremely important to AKC in supporting our events and many of our key programs. As you know, this includes:

* Subsidizing of the cost of all events;

* Annual contributions of at least $1.6 million to CHF and the Museum of the Dog - the AKC is the top corporate sponsor of the Foundation and the primary financial supporter of the Museum;

* $240,000 in scholarship awards;

* 5,000 kennel inspections annually; and

* Ongoing programs in Canine Legislation, Public Education, Media Outreach, and Disaster Relief.

A more comprehensive listing of programs is included with the handouts that can be found on your chairs. We encourage you to share this fact sheet with members of your clubs.

In an effort to stem the decline in registrations, we have undertaken a number of actions.

* Offering electronic coupons from Dog.com for all breeders and new registrants to purchase dog related merchandise;

* Free pet health insurance for 60 days from PPI;

* Litter coupons to every breeder and to congratulate Bred-By-Exhibitor Medallion winners and Bred-By entrants at the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship;

* Making the Online Dog Registration process as simple and convenient as possible; online litters now account for 50% of litter registrations; and

* Continuing to educate the puppy buying public on the value of AKC?s registration.

To summarize, while our financial results for the past 2-1/2 years have been excellent, management will not take anything for granted. There are 3 key points I?d like to reinforce with you:

*Events are not financially self sustaining;

*Registration, our core business, continues its downward spiral; and

*Alternative revenues and investment gains are always uncertain.

Consequently, I wanted to share these concerns and will continue to keep you updated.

I've always thought that the AKC should make its performance events open to any friendly mutt willing and able to compete, but that's not about to happen any time soon. Of course, I also said that last bit about the fall of the Berlin Wall :rolleyes:

[OT: 109 degrees F outside and fires everywhere, ashes on everything... folks with breathing problems must have been miserable this morning, there was so much smoke. Gonna try to get some pictures... Classic California essay for the afternoon: The Fire Coast by Mike Davis.]

Hi...

One comment on why ACDs may seem (to the AKC minded) to be retaining their natural working ability. Basically, what they have always had was far less complex than what a border collie brings to the stockwork table. This is not meant to denigrate or belittle the instinct that ACDs have, they are very good at what they do. However, what they do is limited in comparison to the border collie. The instinct/work drive is very strong but they are bred to work close to their stockperson and livestock. They excel at brute force/heeling and pushing stock in feedlot and driving situations. Their pushy attitude is a direct offshoot of what they were originally bred for (work hard, get kicked and not miss a beat) and as long as there isn't an effort to make them more "user-friendly" , I think they will retain a good portion of their unique herding ability. If they do lose it, they should be able to find any number of similar "heelers" to do the same sorts of tasks.

Originally posted by Black Watch Debatable:

Let?s now take a look at one of our significant core businesses - events. Can I see a show of hands by those people who believe the AKC makes money from its events? For 2005 the total of all events generated revenues of $7.4 million. However, the corresponding expenses totaled $17.2 million. This resulted in a deficit of approximately $10 million. Fortunately, this deficit was subsidized by our registration revenues.

Do they ever say anywhere what those "corresponding expenses" are exactly? I've heard that they lose money on events and I've never believed it. I have nothing to base my disbelief on, I suppose. But then I haven't ever seen anything to base belief in this statement either.

Originally posted by Bill Fosher:

It seems to me that most of the expenses must involve pushing paper around. Rule books, judge licensure, event licensure, tracking the titles that this one or that one has earned, handling correspondence, appeals of decisions, etc., etc., etc.

Oh, no doubt. But I still want to see the actual costs of all that paper pushing before I agree they're a charitable institution.

The AKC is a nonprofit institution. All charitable organizations are nonprofits, but not all nonprofit organizations are charities. I think :rolleyes:

In case you'd like to wade through it, here is a link to the AKC's 2005 financial statement---they have annual reports going back to 1985 on their website.

On its website, AKC is described as "not-for-profit" which is not the same as a charitable organization. I would assume that all charitable organizations may be characterized as non-profit or not-for-profit but not all not-for-profits are charitable organizations.

Now, if I'm right (and I may well be wrong), a donation to a charitable organization is tax-deductible but a donation to a not-for-profit that is not a charitable organization, is not tax-deductible. I didn't see anything about charitable status on my admittedly brief look at the AKC website.

I find it interesting that everything on the website is devoted to purebred dogs (one phrase used is "purebred pride"), including health research, etc. The national level AKC emphasis is surely the purebreds and not the love of dogs in general, although our local affiliate club is open and welcoming to owners/dogs of all backgrounds in its membership, classes, and non-AKC-sanctioned shows/trials.

A recent (July 2006) AKC news bulletin concerns "herding" and I wonder what the outcome of this will be in terms of AKC "herding" events -

Notice to the Herding Community:

Request for Input to the 2006 Herding Advisory Committee

The AKC Performance Events Department has just formed a new Herding Advisory Committee to review the current AKC Herding Regulations and to propose changes and updates that will enhance the AKC Herding Program. Informational packets were sent to club presidents and secretaries on July 14, 2006.

The AKC Performance Events Department is inviting herding clubs and the herding community in general to provide input to the committee. While general comments can be sent to the Herding Advisory Committee, constructive suggestions for amending specific areas of the Herding Regulations are most welcome.

I'd be curious to know if they plan on toughening standards up or dumbing them down.

I'd be curious to know if they plan on toughening standards up or dumbing them down.
You can bet it won't be the former. If they are losing money on events, the last thing they want to do is make them more *exclusive* as that would mean even less money (or greater losses, depending on how you look at it).

J.

Originally posted by Sue R:

Now, if I'm right (and I may well be wrong), a donation to a charitable organization is tax-deductible but a donation to a not-for-profit that is not a charitable organization, is not tax-deductible.

A deduction is allowable only if the organization has 501©3 (the number refers to the IRS statute) status from the IRS, so you are absolutely right,Sue. An organization can be non-profit and if it isn't a 501©3 contributions are not deductible under IRS regs. That's the main difference between a charitable org and a non-profit.

Originally posted by juliepoudrier:

You can bet it won't be the former. If they are losing money on events, the last thing they want to do is make them more *exclusive* as that would mean even less money (or greater losses, depending on how you look at it).

On the other hand, if the titles become a little harder to earn, then people need to enter their dogs more often.