BC Boards

So sad,,,,

ccnnc

Really? Bobby Henderson didn't give me that impression of our dogs and handlers while I was scribing for him last fall. Johnny Wilson didn't give us that impression when he was over several years back; in fact he told a friend that her dog was the best pup he'd see out of his Spot. We're they lying or didn?t they know what they were talking about?

Mark

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tamarsh
Originally posted by border_collie_crazy:

I have never liked the looks of merlin, but I must say, after seeing this show champian..I think I like Merlin better lol

tamarsh4005003.jpg

[NOTE: THIS PHOTO IS DIFFERENT FROM THE ONE ORIGINALLY POSTED IN THE QUOTED MATERIAL.]

A warning to you all, MY photo's are subject to copywrite laws and those who choose to steal them from my site will be subject to legal action being taken against them. I do not care whether or not you like my Border collies, but they are my choice and we are entitled to having that choice. This photo was stolen from my site without my permission and the poster will be sued unless it is removed within 24 hours.

[ 06-14-2006, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: Eileen Stein ]

The "one off reply" above sounds very similar to the litany that the kennel club apologist(s) submitted to the boards several months ago.

It is a *sad* testimony to the breeding programs of the kennel club mindset in the UK that only one "conformation champion" dog has also passed the "working test" to achieve his "full championship". That appears to be an indication that either the kennel club breeders aren't *interested* in maintaining and proving real working ability (if the "working test" is even a reasonable demonstration of such) and don't even attempt to pass the test with their conformation champions OR that they do attempt the test and they and their dogs aren't *capable* of passing such a test (with whatever level of competency it may indicate) since breeding for working ability is not a consideration.

That said, the "standards" of the "show-quality" dog aren't relevant to the working Border Collie. The working Border Collie proves its ability through the work, not by prancing around the show ring or standing erect on a show table.

Using the show ring to evaluate the quality of the Border Collie is like using halter classes to decide which Thoroughbreds are the best racehorses, and makes just as little sense.

If you review Limitations on Exclusive Rights: Fair Use (Source: Internet Law Update, Pennsylvania Bar Instititute) you'll find that criticism is one of the fair uses of copyrighted works. On the other hand, it is proper to link (and credited) the source; much like a footnote in a paper.

Mark

Pipedream Farm

Member # 2589

posted 06-12-2006 10:16 AM

Limitations on Exclusive Rights: Fair Use

Not every act of copying constitutes copyright infringement. The doctrine of "fair use" permits certain acts of copying. Under the doctrine, criticism, news reporting, teaching, and scholarly comment are all fair uses of copyrighted works. Appeals focusing on the defense of fair use to a claim of copyright infringement have reached The Supreme Court of the United States three times since 1984. In each of these cases, the holding of the lower court was overturned. It is not unfair to say that fair use is the most troublesome doctrine in the whole of copyright law.

Source: Internet Law Update, Pennsylvania Bar Instititute>>

Rules, Policies, and Disclaimers

So Limitations on Exclusive Rights means diddly squat, the person/s who stole those pictures does not own the copyright so have gone against the boards rules.

You all really should to be ashamed of yourselves, though I doubt the intelligence of many of you cant even see that you are in breach of the board rules. Stealing photographs of copyrighted pictures from websites for your own titillation, for a herding board you discuss very little herding, Its more like a fishwives gossip column.

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about

Guest tamarsh

It is all very well of you quote copywrite laws in the States. I live in the UK and my site clearly states photo's may not be taken. You are breaking UK and international Copywrite laws.

I should also imaging you are breaking the forum service provides rules too.

So while you are correct as to the board rules (shame on us), we are not subject to copyright LAWS.

[sorry, this should read, ......copyright laws in this case. See post below]

As far as "....though I doubt the intelligence of many of you...."; I'd say you've now joined us in breaking the board rules which you have agreed to follow.

You'll find the "fair use" clause in UK Copyright Law.

Mark

Guest tamarsh

How incredibly stupid you are, all boards are subject to copywrite laws, and all websites are subject to copywrite laws. Now go and get your self a replacement brain cell and i I will contact your service provider and my solicitor.

Originally posted by Dita Kilsby:

A warning to you all, MY photo's are subject to copywrite laws and those who choose to steal them from my site will be subject to legal action being taken against them.......the poster will be sued unless it is removed within 24 hours.

Actually, I don't think there's any copyright infringement going on here since the image is displayed directly from your site using your bandwidth. Your site has no protection from hotlinking and anyone with web access can see every one of your files - even those not displayed on your site - simply by going to http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nicholas.bate1 and can display files on your dime.

mehattie0096%5b1%5d.jpg

If you disable hotlinking from your site these images will become unavailable.

How incredibly stupid you are, all boards are subject to copywrite laws, and all websites are subject to copywrite laws. Now go and get your self a replacement brain cell and i I will contact your service provider and my solicitor.

On the other hand, section 30 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 states that the following acts do not infringe any copyright right:

Fair dealing with a work for the purpose of criticism or review, of that or another work or of a performance of a work;

Fair dealing with a work (other than a photograph) for the purpose of reporting current events. No acknowledgement is required in connection with the reporting of current events by means of a sound recording, film, broadcast or cable programme6.

Mark

>

Dita, that's "copyright," not "copywrite."

border-collie-crazy, trust me, you have nothing to fear from legal action. It would only impoverish the person who tried to sue you in this situation, for reasons I won't elaborate on, since this is a border collie board and not a legal board. However, as a courtesy to our irate posters (who may or may not hold any rights in the photo) I have substituted a link to the photo for the image itself in your post.

BTW, Sue, I believe SaxonBCs IS "our friend" Cathy from that previous thread.

Guest tamarsh

I have nothing more to add, I should never have expected to be able to reason with people who are so narrow minded and their only pleasures in life are trashing peoples dogs just because they are different to their own. We all have our choices, you can stick to yours and I'll stick to mine. For the record my bitch is 12years old in the photo, there arent many dogs who look their best at that age. We love her that is all that is important to us and yes she does have British bred champions in her pedigree so the person who commented needs to read properly.

I will not comment on the dogs photo's posted on here since all dogs have their own beauty and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. However I may suggest that some of you buy a copy of Blue Riband of the Heather, containing the international sheep dog champions from the last century, here in the British Isles where the real breed was developed. I don't think you will see many of the real sheepdogs that look much like yours. Contrary to common believe many shepherds do appreciate a good looking dog.

I won't be back on your group since I left school 25 years ago and have no wish to be involved in such childish tit for tat. You all carry on trashing my dogs, if it gives you get over your feelings on inferiority.

Originally posted by NNL - BC:

[QB] Pity that the term 'Border Collie - the dog that does it all' is not familiar to most of you...

At least I have dogs that look well, are good built and perform!

Great Pictures Ewa, Its so good to "have it all" isn't it.

Wow, it's Cathy, what a surprise. I may be ignorant about IP addresses, but I was correct that it was you. It was the tone of the posts, not the user names or IP address that was the tip-off. To paraphrase from your own post, are you are always this rude or are you making a special effort today?

However I may suggest that some of you buy a copy of Blue Riband of the Heather, containing the international sheep dog champions from the last century, here in the British Isles where the real breed was developed. I don't think you will see many of the real sheepdogs that look much like yours.

Huh? I would normally stay out of this mudslinging fest but I must say I'm a bit confused here. Many of us with working stockdogs are quite familiar with The Blue Riband of the Heather and I'm just not understanding why you bring it up. Have you seen working border collies in America? They run the range of looks of the dogs in Mrs. Carpenter's books. You're only right about American dogs looking nothing like the dogs in the book if you mean American show border collies, who do indeed generally look like *nothing* you'd see in Mrs. Carpenter's books. Perhaps the kennel clubs in other countries are a little more open to a variety of looks compared to the AKC? Hence the reason for my confusion. But then I suppose I'm just one of the stupid ones.

J.

How very smart of you Sue, such a pity you cant be as intelligent with all your posts. Dita has said it all in hers, I've been here before to know just how narrow minded you all are, with a tendency to think you "know it all", you are arrogance and ignorance at its worst.

trashing peoples dogs

Sort of like trashing someone?s breed to the point where it can no longer function to the high standard of ?real? work as it has in the past?

Words will not affect the Border Collie as a breed, breeding it for things other then working ability WILL.

Katelynn

I belong to lots of BC lists, no where else have I read such a lot of mean minded comments as I have on this forum. The un called for vile critiscims, of my dog made me retaliate, to defend him, the same way, i'm sure all of you would defend your own dogs if subjected to the same personal attack. I just cannot understand what makes you all want to be so horrible and nasty about other folks dogs whom you know nothing about? There are loads of BC issues to talk about, lots of positive things to discuss. Why spent months slagging off other folks dogs, for no apparent reason? What would you all think if the 'boot was on the other foot' and you all found out you were being slagged off personally and your dogs on a public group?

I've never heard of this happening on any other group I'm on, they are pleasant groups with folk helping and encouraging others, whatever their interests are, within the BC world. Unless the people involved in this group change, and are prepared to 'live and let live' I can only see misery ahead for you all and all around you. surely life is too short for all this bitching.

I'm sure you wouldn't let your kids behave in this way................ the heading of this topic is 'So sad.......' i think it is so sad if people won't agree to disagree and live amicably in this world.

and this is definitely my last say.

Heather Turner, Locheil Border Collies. Scotland

It is so obvious that those dogs don't have it all. The photos show nothing unusual. Why are you trying so hard to convince people?

Caroline

Well,

You must be physic if you can tell how good Ewe's dogs are, from three or four pictures. Your arrogance appals me. With that attitude, you will never improve on anything, either looks, nor working ability.

Stupidity is usually incurable. You may be perfectly happy, with dogs our shepherds wouldn't touch with a barge pole, and I'm sure Ewa, Dita and Heather, are perfectly happy with their breeding.

Their achievements, in their field, far outweigh anything anyone on these boards has ever achieved, in theirs, including me.

Insulting British Breeders, because you're bored and have nothing of intelligence to say, is pretty pathetic.