BC Boards

So sad,,,,

ccnnc

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love when the conformation breeders try and tell you that just as many smooth coat ?working bred? dogs are championed as there are Barbie?s and that Judges don't pick Barbie?s over real Border Collies.

And we don?t see any real ?looking? Border Collies in the Westminster video because . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ?

I must have missed the normal looking Border Collies. *shakes head and sigh*

Katelynn

I love when the conformation breeders try and tell you that just as many smooth coat ?working bred? dogs are championed as there are Barbie?s and that Judges don't pick Barbie?s over real Border Collies.
When questioned about their breeding practices, I love how the Barbie owners claim, "It's not that my dog's can't herd. It's just that they're not exposed to it. If my dog had the right handler and the opportunity to work, I'm sure he'd be just as good as any of your dogs. He stalks the frisbee, and herds the kids, and nips my ankles, I'm sure he'd be great at herding!"

Sound familiar?

Jodi

jeeez, guess so --- there have been SO MANY that fell apart when I got into the action!!!

on this one we had two in the pen when this calf decided it didn't want to play any more... one thing I learned from this was -- in cattle trials -- keep what ya got cause you'll get points for the ones ya got...

CC

"While it is true that the present-day collie is different from the old-fashioned type, that does not necessarily imply that he is a degenerate and inferior in every way. Evolved from the old working type, he is now practically a distinct breed. His qualities in the field are not often tested, but there are instances in abundance where the modern collie, when trained to the work as were his forebears, has shown the same native aptitude and intelligence.

The majority of people in this country, however, have no use for a working collie. They want a dog that is handsome as well as intelligent, and there can be no question of the collie's superlative claims to beauty. He is undoubtedly one of the handsomest, as well as most aristocratic appearing of all our dogs."

Sound familiar?

It's from an article called something like "In Defense of the Modern Collie" in the March 1, 1912 issue of Country Life. Linda Rorem has several of these articles up on a website. I was struck with deja vu all over again yet again while rereading them recently.

The old fashioned collies being dismissed in the article are not, btw, border collies. They are Scotch collies (sometimes called various other names) prior to the breeding for teeny eyes, pointy heads, and and so on.

Colin, that's clearly a hell of a dog, and the action photographs everyone has posted are superb.

Penny

Thats a really pretty dog...what is it? Maybe his nose is short and his lips droop cause he got kicked while working a cow...sheesh, you guys are soooo quick to judge. I am sure they took the time to comb out all the brambles and mud and washed their dog right after they finished shearing in prep for lambing...comeon give em credit!

To me the AKC version looks like a B&W Berner. Not that I have anything against Berners, but if I'd wanted a Berner, I'd have gotten one. That look just does NOT appeal to me in a BC. Why anyone would want to breed them to look like that is even more inexplicable (to me) than breeding them for looks in the first place.

Love the "action shots." That's more like it.

Ick! Is it me or does that topline look like its slanting? Please don't tell me the Barbie Collies are going to end up looking like those gimpy American showline german shepherds!

Ok this is just sick and twisted...from the BorderFame website at http://www.borderfame.com/index2.htm

our aims are to continue to produce truly versatile Border Collies that not only excel in Conformation, Obedience, Agility, and Herding but also in other active performance sports, whilst still retaining the good temperament that the breed is noted for, making it a wonderful loyal family pet.
Herding? Not a single dog in their line appears to even have an AKC herding title or even an Instinct Test!!! Sounds like they want a black and white golden to me - not that I'm cynical or anything! :rolleyes:

It is interesting that they list links to the USBCC, USBCHA, and ISDS on their links page...

In fact, that Conformation Champion even looks exactly like this dog:
Spew!! I'd love to see that dog, in the ring, that exact same posture and exact same intense expression, right smack in the middle of the cookie cutter dogs at Westminster. I honestly think a hush would come over the Garden. LOL.

I did see a breeder of Barbie collies one time trying to gait a young bitch around the ring. The dog did what came natural at that pace---lower her head in a forward moving gait---the entire time, the handler kept yanking her head up---ya know, wanting to present that pretty picture to the judge. I really felt sorry for that little dog. I wonder if they breed for that "perfect" silhouette----yet it's such an unnatural stance that it would impair movement when working---which isn't that what the breed standard addresses to begin with? @@

OK so here is my *very traditional* working Border Collie

Tait...slick coat, pit bull head, ugly as sin but a heart of gold...well, when I first saw him, I asked if I could pay more and get a better looking dog...but no go, and now I have grown to love him....he is quite handsomer in my eyes now...beauty is in the eyes of the beholder..

taitturningthecow.jpg

Taitcowgraham2005.jpg

Taitcow2graham2005.jpg

Diane