BC Boards

Can Dogs have allergies?

My poor girl has these short 'attacks,' where she sort of dry heaves, but it's more like she has something stuck in her throat. (I'm sorry I'm not very good at explaining these things.) Anyway, I also noticed that when I take her out in the morning she's fine, but after being outside for a few minutes she sneezes continuously, and her eyes get red, and then she'll start the "dry heaving" routine again. It doesn't seem like she's experiencing too much discomfort. While it's happening she looks very unhappy, but as soon as it passes she'smy back to wagging her tail and ready to chase the tennis ball again. So, after that long-winded explanation, my question is: Is it possible that she has allergies to pollen? Anybody else have experience with this? Will it pass once Spring is over? She's due for another vet visit in a few weeks, I'll definitely bring it up - should I consult my vet before then? Thanks in advance.

It's definitely possible for dogs to have allergies. Tiga has allergies but with him it's more itching then anything. I would talk to the vet about it for sure. They can have environmental allergies, food allergies along with other things. I'd be concerned about the dry heaving routine. How old is she? How long has it been happening?

She is about 2 years old. I have only had her for a couple of months, but it's only started in the last week or so, just as it's got hot, and the pollen has become really bad - which is why I think it may be allergies to pollen. "Dry heaving" is not a great way to explain it, I just can't think of any other way to explain it. It is as if she has eaten too fast as is trying to clear her throat. It really does only happen outside, or soon after she comes in from the yard. Thanks for your help, I'm definitely going to keep a close eye on her, and bring it up with the Doc at her next visit.

Reverse Sneezing? It definitely does look like an asthma attack, forceful inhalation, I'm not sure about the mouth closed part - I'll make sure to take notice next time it happens. I'm going to google reverse sneezing and see if I can find more symptons. Thanks. And yes, the first time it happened I really thought she was on her way to the kennel in the sky, scared the daylights out of me. Thanks again for your help.

My Sitka has been sneezing quite a bit since Spring has sprung.

As a Respiratory Therapist (retired! yeah), and knowing this time of year is rough on people with allergies, I can't imagine that some dogs wouldn't/couldn't have respiratory issues as well. They have skin allergies, I know for sure!

Check with your vet, I think if it gets to be a real problem, some vets say you can give them benadryl. But I think that would make them a bit sleepy??? not sure...

Maybe they have something that would help without the sleepiness???

Let us know..

They definitely can have seasonal allergies. Ben has them bad, along iwth all the rest of his human family. I keep him on an antihistimine during pollen season and he is fine (relatively speaking :rolleyes: ). Our antihistamine du jour is chlorpheniramine (sp?). Sometimes you have to experiment to find the right one.

Maggie reverse sneezes frequently. Sometimes it seems related to excitement, and sometimes it seems to be related to a strong smell she gets a whiff of - suh as when she walks in a room we've recently painted or when I burn incense.

My acd has year round environmental allergies but has more severe seasonal allergies that we have to give her medicine for.

We start with benadryl and then we have to go to the prescription Hydroxyzine (not generic, cheaper version since it does not work - of course)... We were also told to try Chlor Trimeton (sp?) but haven't tried it yet.

Foster reverse sneezes, gets gunky eyes, snores, vomits frothy stuff and you can hear the stuffiness during the seasonal allergy times.

Benadryl does not make her tired unfortunately but boy I wish it did :rolleyes: