BC Boards

ABCA elections

blackacre

I see some familiar names are running for the board of directors. Care to share your platform, if any, with us?

Near and dear to MY heart would be some consideration given to merging ABCA and USBCHA, but maybe you guys disagree or feel it would be a non-starter.

(Charlie, for this I believe you need to remove the bucket.)

A.

Platform? Treated wood deck with a nice fridge for margarita fixings....

I'd be for considering a merger but honestly, would need to do lots of listening and thinking on it so i can't say i have a position on it.

I will say i'm a big proponent of education of new owners and registrants, especially considering the huge base of non-trial/non-working-dog owners that make up ABCA members. I've had a few eye opening phone calls since my name and number came out on that ballot.

Hey, thanks for answering. Not trying to put anyone on the spot, just offering the opportunity for candidates to speak. (I already voted for you, by the way, on the general premise that I think you'll do a good job.)

Can you say what kind of phone calls? Is there a silent majority of non-working folks that feel their interests are not being served?

Andrea

Even though I'm just "filler" on the ballot, I've been getting lots of calls, too. And at odd hours - I think some people have forgotten about time zones. Mostly people (rightly) ask, "Who the hell are you?". Good question - I wish I knew the answer.

Anyway, Andrea, I've gotten the impression that there is a silent majority of WORKING folks who feel their interests aren't being served. These people raise livestock and stockdogs and don't care a whit about the USBCHA, the National Finals or any of that kind of stuff. I don't think they are, like, radically disaffected. Just not that interested in all the trialing stuff.

And, Robin: I like your stance on education. Can I steal it?

charlie torre

Charlie, i bet you've had calls from some of the same folks i have. One wanted to ask some general questions about ABCA policies as they applied to him and was mostly just wanting to talk i think. Another wanted to just chat with the people on the list to have a basis to make up his mind. I don't think either of those were working people. Another was a cattledog guy and he was pretty anti-trial, probably the guy you're thinking of, more concerned that registration fees not be raised since "not everyone trials". I tried to point out that trials help in sorting out breeding stock but don't think i got my point across. Anyway, i don't think those folks represent any sort of majority but i really don't have anything to base that on. It was a nice reality check that there are lots of different types of "customers" of the ABCA though.

A. - my gut says there probably is a silent majority of non-working people out there, that sort of only makes sense. I think ABCA does a fine job as a registry so i expect those needs are being met just fine. I think there's always room to improve on educating that group of people on the breed and breeding though.

Oh yeah, and thanks for the vote!

I think spay/neuter contracts would be a non-starter, considering you cannot evaluate breedworthiness until the dog is mature. However, NB (non-breeding or "limited") registration on pups sold to non-working homes is a viable alternative. That way, if the home decides to work their dog, or the dog is sold and turns out to be a fabulous working dog, the NB could be reversed by the breeder and the dog would not be lost to the gene pool.

Katelynn,

I e-mailed Patty and this is what she said: If you weren't a paid member before Jan. 1, 2005, then you are not eligible to vote. With my move, job change, etc., I didn't renew my membership until February, so I can't vote. If you don't know when you joined, you can contact Patty and she will check the date for you. abca@datasync.com

J.