BC Boards

AKC Open registration ending

Rave

I was just thinking back to the Irish Setters being excluded becasue their registry was actively encouraging breeding outside the gene pool.AKC didn't exclude certain dogs- they dumped the whole registry.

We have had the ROM but its not been actively encouraged by the ABCA as a goal for other breeds.If it gets out very publicly it may have more of an impact on AKC.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll call AKC and ask what the heck they are doing, acting like a concerned "AKC Fan." Just get them thinking about what they are letting in when they allow our working bred dogs to be registered with them.

I've had a nice chat with one of their directors over the phone once. She wasn't to happy I "didn't" think AKC was the best thing to ever happen to Border Collie as a breed and got very rude and hung up. Best part was, I stayed polite and under controlled the whole time without getting emotionally upset and pissed off! I was and am very proud of myself.

Anyone want to listen in, I can and will three way! LMAO :rolleyes:

Katelynn - Wishing it was Monday

Only problem I see, Katelynn, is - a pedigree has to be "acceptable" to AKC-at least the first few generations - for them to accept it for Open Registration. SO if they see ROM dogs in the first 2-3 generations, I'm guessing they will probably not accept that dog, because of incomplete pedigree. Believe me, they want all the BC's they can get, so I doubt that will deter them. Heck, they dropped the price of Open Registration from $50 to $15 to encourage people to do it. When has AKC ever dropped the price of anything?

Well Laurie, the way I see it is "I tried" even if it does nothing at all.

I doubt it will do anything but if it makes a few of their directors rethink keeping or forever opening the stud books to our dogs, I've done something worth my while.

If they keep their books open, in just a few gens. ABC and ISDS will have ROM dogs in pedigrees, some maybe to far back AKC to trace?

So they can't 100% protect their lines from crossbredings UNLESS they close their stud books forever.

Katelynn

Originally posted by Kate, Dice, and Cue.:

...So they can't 100% protect their lines from crossbredings UNLESS they close their stud books forever.

Katelynn

true - go for it. And until the time that they require DNA testing on every sire, dam and litter, they can't even be sure that the pups they are registering from ANY breed are actually what they are supposed to be.

of course, the same could be said for ABCA, ISDS and every other registry, but that's a whole 'nother issue...

Originally posted by Kate, Dice, and Cue.:

Go for it Kate!! Trying is better then sitting on your butt at home while the Border Collies are slowly but surely being reuined! even if your call has no impact on those people over at AKC you tried and keep fighting for it More Power to ya girl !!

And i want to know everything that goes on in the call! Good Luck!!

- Rach -

I wanted to read a little more on the whole Irish - English Setter thing before I called AKC.

Here in a article I found a bit interesting.

http://www.gundogmag.com/gundog_breeds/todays_red_setter/

It seems that the FDSB agreed to register the Irish - English dogs after so many generations. And AKC shut their books to them just for that. Hummmmmm.

Well, cross your fingers everyone, and wish me luck! Here I go!

Katelynn

Okay, I called.

Not like it got me anyway but I'll tell you all what went on.

I talked to some Custom Service lady, how was very nice and not very helpful. I asked her what my Border Collie all needed to be registered with AKC.

After she listed everything off I asked her, since, they recognize ABC dogs, if they would accepted my ABC registered Border Collie Beardie Collie that was Registed on Merit.

Longest pause I have ever heard in my life! She proceeded to tell me that if it is recognized with the ABC that they will accepted it.

So I politely asked why they would register mutts and went a little into the Irish English Setter and how they do not accept registration from the FDSB any longer. And she came back saying she didn't understand it either.

She put me on hold while she chatted with her supervisor. Came back saying they would accept it because it is a ABC dog but asked if it showed on the pedigree that some of the dogs were Beardies (will it?). I then asked to speak directly with her supervisor.

Waited five minutes and she was back on the phone explaining that he just stepped out. She then gave me two numbers to ladies who run the open registration.

Of course I got the first ones voice mail explaining she was out of town till the 16th. And the second was not there, even though it was more then a hour before they closed.

So I will give it another shot tomorrow.

Anyone has a pedigree for a Border Collie Beardie Collie that's ABC registered? I'd like to see one, with the registries, so I know exactly what I am talking about before I talk to them again.

Katelynn

The ancestry of James the Beardie cross is quite clear when you see him - and he is registered with a pedigree - not even ROM, right?

AKC does require photos. Check out page 3 of this document, in the Required Attachments section http://www.akc.org/pdfs/ADOPEN.pdf If that doesn't work, go to http://www.akc.org/reg/open_registration.cfm and click on Open Registration Application at the very bottom of the page.

Megan Q.

It's my understanding (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong) that a border collie that was also bearded was not noted as such on its pedigree. So the only way you'd know is if you knew pedigrees well enough to recognize the bearded dogs by name. For example, if Barbara Starkey had bred James, who is ABCA registered, his pups would be ABCA registered, and all you'd see on the pedigree is James' name and registration number as the sire, no indication of what he looked like.

J.

BCSA has received a letter from James P. Crowley, Executive Secretary of the

American Kennel Club, concerning the results of a vote at the August 9-10,

2005 AKC Board of Directors meeting:

Effective January 1, 2006 (after the conclusion of the current Open

Registration period) the following registries will be added to the list of

registries with pedigrees acceptable for AKC registration:

American Border Collie Association

American International Border Collie Association

North American Sheep Dog Society

Canadian Border Collie Association

The International Sheep Dog Society is already on the list of acceptable

foreign registries.

Karen

I'm going to go cry now . . . . . .

AKC has forgotten just what kind of people they are dealing with here! REAL Border Collie people, some of the smartest people on our planet!

Lets not give up! We WILL beat this! We have to, for the love and safe keeping of OUR breed.

Katelynn

Well, that just snips it- I am talking about all the registries that the AKC is accepting for the BC. It appears that the are accepting pretty much all of them? The requirements for the AKC to accept a breed representative club are very easy to get to. This means you have to have EVERYONE in an organization be of the same mind, and have them sign an agreement saying such. Kelpies went through this in the USA, and when they were told to move up to full reg or OUT, the working group which was and still is the biggest group rep the breed. (the WKI) told them OUT. We have been the only breed to be able to get out.

This was I suspect mainly due to the fact that the Kelpie has not been as popular as the BC. Perhaps the folks who are STAUNCHLY against their dogs being AKC reg'd (even pups sold) should get a group together and call it the WBCI. Though, the Kelpie is more and more popular now, so who knows what will happen. I know the KElpie is in the miscellaneous class in Canada, and the BC is not, leaving LOTS of people getting Kelpies to be competitive in Canadian agility. This bodes badly for the working Kelpie in Canada. Anyway, you need a cohesive group of people to keep the working ability alive and kicking.

Julie

I wouldn't waste time going after the AKC per se. They are a big giant rock and will laugh as we shatter ourselves on it, screaming for them to become something they are not.

I agree that it's time to consider going down the road where we draw that line in the sand. Do we want to preserve our breed as it is today? Then we will differentiate ourselves from the kennel club dogs and reject dual registration.