BC Boards

AKC

Missyann

The dog who came over on the plane with Fly, Ben, is a curly tri with one blue eye, which makes him look even weirder. Ben's curlier than Moss and is now owned by Rob Drummond. What a great dog. Fabulous temperament, too. As stable as she is, Fly was kinda freaked out by the flight and came out of her crate saying, "What the *#@!! just happened? Where the hell am I?" Ben, on the other hand, came out of his crate, stuck out his hand, and said, "Hello. My name is Ben."

But, his curly coat would not exactly set the breed ring world on fire, no matter how vaguely the BCSA attempts to write the standard. Oh well, AKC's loss.

Totally not to the point of the thread, but Moss is beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen a curly coated bc before. And he sure looked like he was having a grand old time.

IF, (big if) I ever am in a position to 'need' to buy a bc rather than rescue, I'll be doing the trial rounds out here, seeing who has a dog they need to find a non working home for. No AKC for me, either, even for a pet/companion dog.

Ruth n the BC3

Thank you guys very much for the input.

BTW - Moss is beautiful. I've only seen one other curly coated BC before, and even he didn't have the gorgeous ringlets that Moss does. What a sweet looking boy.

He really was quite lovely. I did think for a minute there I was going to get a big old wet one right upside my cheek. :rolleyes: Hey, Becca, you trying to say I'm not a sweetie? :D

I would not buy a working dog that was AKC registered. There is no need to. I would run far, far away.

No, I was saying I wanted to point out the canine sweetie rather than the human one! Actually, I didn't realize at the time that I could crop the picture so that June could be in it but not your face - you had such a funny expression I went ahead and left it off.

:rolleyes: I'm just razzing you. Thank you, I'm perfectly happy to have my face cut out (particularly if I have a funny expression on it or like a triple chin). I remember thinking to myself, "What am I going to do if he slurps my face? I guess I'll just say thank you Moss."

That was exactly the expression. Either that or "What is the world coming to when I know a beyootiful dog like this would be rejected in the breed ring and therefore be culled out of the AKC gene pool?"

LauraMossSeclusival.jpg

Aieeeeeeeeeee, Oh my word, that IS awful. Please, I beg you, make it stop. I promise to do whatever, just please make it go away. If you've ever had even the teeniest amount of pity, please take my face out again. :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, even while I think Moss is quite beautiful (and watching him work was awesome), it is a pity that the show ring/conformation world (ACK) makes such a value judgement based on looks. Even more unfortunately is that the unknowing (and sometimes even knowing) public thinks that the "standards" the ACK sets for the Border Collie is OK or desirable. I'd be pleased to have that curly coated dog's slobber on my face any day compared to the unthinkable alternate.