BC Boards

AKC studbooks

SoloRiver

A friend pointed out to me that the AKC board discussed instituting procedures that would allow the parent club of any breed registered with AKC to request that their studbook be opened (or closed, if already open). I can't remember if this was discussed here before. In general, I think this is a good thing for breeds whose major registry is the AKC (because closed studbooks are stupid), but for us it means the misery might never, ever end.

The full board minutes are at

http://www.akc.org/insideAKC/board/oct02brdmin.cfm

The relevant part of the discussion is below.

The Board considered the adoption of a procedure to handle Parent Club requests to open or close the registry. Following a motion by Dr. Battaglia, seconded by Ms. Scully, it was VOTED (unanimously) to adopt the following guidelines:

GUIDELINES FOR OPENING OR

CLOSING THE AKC STUD BOOK

AUTHORITY

The Bylaws of The American Kennel Club do give the AKC Board of Directors the authority and ultimate responsibility over all matters pertaining to the AKC registry. However, when stud book issues affecting only one breed are at issue, the AKC Board has always given great weight to the input of the breed Parent Club.

AKC has from time to time received requests from Parent Clubs to open or to close the stud book to dogs with pedigrees from registries other than AKC in the United States. Guidelines have been established to handle these requests.

THE REQUEST

When the Board of a breed Parent Club wishes to have the AKC stud book for its breed opened or closed, a formal request must be sent in writing to the AKC Executive Secretary. It must include:

A. A justification, and the Parent Club Board's assessment as to whether the need is desirable, important or critical for the welfare of the breed.

B. A summary of any arguments against the proposal of which the club is aware.

C. A sample of a ballot the club would propose to use and an explanation of the procedure the club intends to use in conducting a vote of its members.

The justification should be as specific as possible, and may include, but is not limited to such factors as:

A. Gene Pool Diversity

If the gene pool lacks quality specimens, or is overly inbred, resulting in genetic problems, this must be documented. The club's long and short-term strategic plan must be explained along with what educational initiatives the club would undertake.

B. Too Few Dogs Registered With AKC

If this reason is given, the club must specify how many dogs it would expect to be registered with AKC and the basis of this expectation. As above, the club must document its long and short-term plan to encourage breeders and owners to register their dogs with AKC.

C. Health

This must include documented scientific evidence that a problem exists, it is getting worse, and that there is a potential solution. Any studies cited must be credible and widely accepted.

D. Other Reason

Any reason must include details on how the addition of dogs would improve the breed or address a specific problem. It should include the club's strategic plan to attract dogs to the AKC registry and to encourage breeding to these dogs.

THE PROCESS

The request from the Board of the Parent Club would be reviewed by the AKC Board. If, in the opinion of the AKC Board it appears to have merit, the Parent Club will be advised to proceed

with a ballot of its entire membership. Following said ballot, the club must submit the following to the AKC Executive Secretary:

A. The results of the ballot. An affirmative vote of 2/3 of those voting would be required for

AKC to consider the request.

B. A certification that the vote followed the procedures proposed by the club when the

original request was made.

An affirmative vote of 2/3 of the club's membership does not bind the AKC Board to acceptance of the club proposal as the ultimate responsibility for the registry does rest with the AKC Board.

Once the stud book for a breed has been opened or closed, another request to open or close the stud book for the same breed will not be entertained for five years from the date of the Board action.

Dr. Mays moved that any pending breed-specific requests be voided until complying with the above policy. There was no second.

OH man... the JERKS!!!

Sorry, may be great for other breeds, I don't care- but its a nightmare for us. That means BCSA can ask AKC to keep the books open indefinitely for the Border Collie. That the split that should happen in 2006, permanently, will not occur.

If that goes through, we'll need to look at dual reg. bans again, IMHO.

*** had to add that I was having a pretty good day until I read this!! but thanks for sharing it Melanie.

My goodness, these folks are just so sure that their empire is impenetrable.

I am weary of their edicts, and would pay good money to make them a little less comfortable. I don't suppose that there's anyone here besides me who thinks it would be worth it to pay a lawyer to find out if the AKC is as invulnerable as they seem to think they are.

Since they have been so effective at making themselves the only game in town, do you think some of the American courts' historic disapproval of monopolies might be brought to bear on them?