BC Boards

National Geographic Today

chicken

I finally saw the first real sheepdog trial on TV. All that's ever been on TV before is barbie collies in small pens usually herding ducks through what looks like a putt putt course.

This was on the national geographic channel. It was a perfect example of a trial. All dogs that weren't in the field, we're patiently waiting their turn, watching the sheep. No barking, or playing or going crazy.

Also, the host pointed out that the dogs look incredibly different because there is no standard in breeding a real sheepdog, like their is in showdogs. They stressed they are only bred for working ability, never ever anything else. And at the end, the said if you want a pet, DON'T get a border collie.

I thought it was a great program. Too bad Animal Planet can't show what a real border collie is for, I'm sure more people watch that channel than NGC.

------------------

Chicken wrote:

Also, the host pointed out that the dogs look incredibly different because there is no standard in breeding a real sheepdog, like their is in showdogs.

I hope that this isn't really what was said, because there certainly is a standard, it just ignores appearance as irrelevant. You go on to say something like this in your next sentence, but I think it's important to watch the language because there's nothing that AKC breeders like better than to say that working dogs aren't bred to a standard, when in fact they are bred to a standard that most AKC breeders simply can't or won't understand.

Sounds like a great program. Did you catch the name?

------------------

Bill Fosher

Surry, NH

Bill, the host did clearly point out that they just breed for working ability, not for looks, and showed about 20 different dogs, half a which some people probably don't even think are a border collie. Even if I wasn't clear, the show was clear, and never ever mentioned the AKC, just mentioned these are not bred like show dogs for appearance and height and weight and color, but ONLY for working ability. Also, pointed out was that the dogs were not barking. None of them. Quite a bit different than the border collies most people see on TV at flyball and agility trials where they're barking their heads off the entire time!

It was on the National Geographic Channel and the show was actually called "National Geographic Today." I caught it by luck when my husband was flipping through channels. I missed the beginning. Hopefully it will be on again. It was about 9pm cst.

------------------

National Geographic Today did a segment on the North American Sheepdog Championships (I think)- the ones in CA...Candy Kennedy and Moss were featured, and I think they interviewed Alistair McRae, too, but it was about a year ago, so I don't remember exactly. It was a very nice program and featured WORKING border collies in a good way.

------------------

Terry Toney

Guest rtphokie

""Too bad Animal Planet can't show what a real border collie is for,""

AP has featured the BC on their Breed All About It series and did a good job depicting what a "real border collie is for". If I remember correctly, most of the show centered on herding, with some dog sports shown also, and with proper warnings thrown in to dissaude less than ideal owners. They seem to have done their homework on the breeds they show on that series.

Laura

Raleigh, NC

I'd have to disagree. They did a good job on showing what the general public thinks a border collie is according to the AKC on Animal Planet. They showed AKC herding events, and then crazy border collies barking their heads off at flyball I think it was. I haven't seen it for awhile, but it was a far cry from the reality of the border collie really is like they showed on NGC.

------------------

The Breed All About It I saw had Patricia McConnel (SP?) talking about BC's, Tom Wilson working dogs and did a good job of telling the public that BC's needed their minds as well as their bodies worked. Now there is another AP show which has a miniturized AKC course with ducks and often has mediocre dogs 'working' runner ducks around the course, but that's a different show.

Pam

Chicken, I think that's another show--can't remember the name, but has a sort of agility course, sometimes Labs and goldens doing 'launches' into water, sometimes sniffer dogs and sometimes the duck thing--really pathetic. Kinda cute and considering the very limited space, good entertainment. but herding--not hardly.

Pam

barbie collies in small pens usually herding ducks through what looks like a putt putt course. >>Chicken

Thats a good analogy... AKC trials to Open trials is alot like the difference between mini-golf and the Masters.

------------------

Kristine D.

Slayer of the Cheatgrass, Princess of the Sage Chicken, Bureacratic Handmaiden.

EAT BEEF - The West Wasn't Won on a Salad

• 2 weeks later...