BC Boards

GR-Tell us about the Texas trial

juliepoudrier

GR,

You said last week you were heading out to a trial. How about giving some details for those of us who are a bit trial starved thanks to lambing?

We get lots of discussion on this forum of the east coast trials (and the finals of course) and some of the California trials, thanks to our west coast members, but seldom get to hear about the doings in Texas.

So tell us about it. The field, the sheep, the judging, etc. We'd love to hear it all!

J.

Guest grscott
Originally posted by juliepoudrier:

GR,

You said last week you were heading out to a trial. How about giving some details for those of us who are a bit trial starved thanks to lambing?

We get lots of discussion on this forum of the east coast trials (and the finals of course) and some of the California trials, thanks to our west coast members, but seldom get to hear about the doings in Texas.

So tell us about it. The field, the sheep, the judging, etc. We'd love to hear it all!

J.

Well, Julie, the trial was at Emil Luedecke's place in Zephyr. Most of the usual Texas suspects were there, as well as one fellow from Colorado and one from Arkansas, names you have probably heard, some you may know: Herbert Holmes, Bud Boudreau, Gary Westbrook, Susan Carpenter, Barb Ross, Ron Burkey, Red Oliver, Angie Coker (nee Pickle), Dan Keeton, for just a few.

Emil's course is challenging due to, and you may find this hard to believe depending on your impression of Texas, small groves of trees throughout the field. The terrain is flat, but redirects were common because of the trees and those four small sheep so far away. There were two trials for each class, with, on Sunday, a double-lift run, something you don't see a lot, but essential for those aspiring to run in the really big venues, including Nationals. Open outrun was somewhere around 400 yards. Big drive. Open Ranch was run in an adjacent field. Nursery, Ranch and Novice were held in the main field. The sheep were rather young (small), generally flighty, Ramboullet lambs. As usual, if the dog stayed well off the sheep, they worked well. There were occasions during the day when the sheep were a little heavier, especially when the temperature got close to 90 degress Friday and Saturday, and they decided they really didn't like "playing" any more. Most of the judging was done by Ron Enzeroth, a local fellow well-known in Texas trialing circles, with Herbert and Emil alternating judging of the Open Ranch.

Most of us just go to Emil's trial for the food, though. BBQ lamb, brisket, ribs, pinto beans, and various other goodies.

For an accurate look at all the results, go to www.texassheepdogassoc.org

On a personal note, to borrow a few words from Don McCaig, my dog and I didn't cover ourselves in glory, but we had our good moments.

I leave again Thursday for another trial down here called "Top of the Hill Stockdog Trial". The outrun is again around 400 yards, but up a pretty good sized hill, which is sometimes a problem for dogs used to running on flatter terrain. They don't usually look up for their sheep. it's a good test.

Regards

Thank you, GR, I always enjoy living vicariously by hearing about trials near and far that I am not able to attend.

We had some unseasonably warm weather also this weekend but now it's back to cold and real windy. My husband and I spent a couple of years in central Texas. It's quite a place.

I met Emil Luedecke once. He seemed like a very nice man. His menu sounds real nice, too.

Wishing you the best of luck in your upcoming trial!

It's great to hear about other regional trials. You're right, the trees are not a challenge I'd associate with a Texan trial! That's why it's nice to hear from other parts of the country.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest grscott
Originally posted by Little Bo Boop:

GR, my trainer ran at the trial as well, Rodney Long, do you know him? My young female is out of Rodney's Sue and by his dog Big. I wanted to go but couldn't get off work on such short notice. Will you be going to the trial in Helotes?

Yes, I know Rodney. Good guy. I imagine you're referring to the Top of the Hill Trial. Doubtful I'll be at the Helotes trial. I don't care much for arena trials.

Regards