BC Boards

NJ State SDT/Fosterfields results?

Kelliwic Border Collies

Megan,

Results are almost always posted on Sheepdog-L in time. Hosting a sheepdog trial is an enormous task, even for Gene Sheninger the Fosterfields trial host who is about as experienced and organized as they come. This year he is also hosting the NEBCA Novice finals which will start tomorrow.

Just as an FYI: As a novice, I can't claim any certain knowledge but I think there's some manner of etiquette with regard to publically asking for trial results. So, I've noticed that it's quite common practice for some senior member of the community to post an anxious request for results from the Scottish National, the International (starting today, I believe) or the big western trials like Meeker, Soldier Hollow or LeBar. On the other hand, with regard to many other trials, it seems to me that the polite practice is to wait patiently for the results to appear on Sheepdog-L or to email an acquaintance or friend who attended and ask them. I'm not sure about this though, I've got about ten or fifteen years to go before I even begin to know what I'm talking about. :rolleyes:

Hi -

Just a quick note about trial results from someone who's "been there, done that". I think Megan's question was fine, she was just asking if she'd missed the results and not pestering the trial host/organizer.

On the other hand, Margaret has a really good point. After this year's Seclusival trial, it seemed like every one of us organizers was on the road for the next week at clinics and trials, and then real life crises just plain old got in the way of posting the results. So it took awhile before results got posted anywhere. I got several emails asking where they were and most were fine, they were after a decent amount of time (couple of weeks or more) and were polite and just fine. One, on the other hand, stood out. It was from someone brand new to the trials, a novice competitor who had done well and wanted to "see his name in lights". It came within just a couple of days of the trial and honestly, i thought it was a little on the pushy side seeing as i didn't even get home and to a computer for over a week after the trial. Anyway, the point to all of this is, as long as you're not actually pestering the trial host/organizer themselves, who may be busy or just so frazzled from the trial that they aren't ready to think about writing it up, it's probably okay to ask publicly where results might be. And if you want to pester the host/organizer personally, at least wait awhile for things to settle down. It's reasonable to expect results to be written up, but sometimes it takes awhile.

We're really lucky being able to get results so quickly off the computer. Remember when it was just put in the magazines, and usually months after the fact?